Dynasty moves to Fridays

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Zach, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    Well, it's back on tonight...

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    Exactly how old I was as well. In fact, I had turned 10 mere days after its US premiere.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    Watching it tonight I realize I'd missed an episode!

But I'm becoming awfully old-guy-snoozing thru my evening shows again. I cannot stay awake...

5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    There will be a new episode this week (Jan 31) and next week (Feb 7) and then the show goes on another hiatus because of the Olympics (Feb 14 and 21 - though the second preemption has yet to be confirmed).

If so, I doubt they'll bring it back on Feb.28 for one week only, so maybe there will be another month-long break until the show re-appears in its new timeslot on Friday, March 9 (didn't they originally say it would move to Fridays on April 20th?).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    You're confusing it with the season premiere of The Originals - the press release was a bit messy, but it was always going to move on March 9th after Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ends:

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2018...midseason-premiere-dates-501011/20180107cw01/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    If there is a bright spot in this move, it is the timing. If the CW was freaking out about low ratings, they would have moved Dynasty prior to February Sweeps, hoping to place another show into that prime slot. Other, larger networks would not have allowed it to "drag down" their numbers. Leaving Dynasty there until after the Sweeps period tells me they aren't in panic mode. It's still not a good move (no matter when it occurs), but the big four networks are well known for making quick, often deadly, time-slot changes for "troubled" programs. They would even move a show (or just remove it) regardless of whether they have something lined up to replace it with (replacing it with reruns of some other show until they can line something else up).

8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Well, yes. Part of the reason why it's moving, besides low ratings, is to give Life Sentence a shot at getting decent ratings. I'm not sure if a comedy-drama (originally developed as a "companion piece" to Jane the Virgin, before they decided to move it to Fridays due to falling ratings) will fare better after Riverdale, but I doubt it will at least do worse than what Dynasty is. In general The CW seems to struggle with shows in the 9PM slot to keep their lead-in audience, bar Black Lightning which will probably move into a 8PM slot next season.

9. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    I got that from this January 7 Variety article which explicitly says (and they haven't corrected it since):

"Life Sentence" takes the time slot previously occupied by the reboot of “Dynasty,” which will move to Fridays at 8 p.m. beginning April 20.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/cw-midseason-premiere-dates-life-sentence-dynasty-1202655743/

So, the lesson here is not to rely on entertainment media and always check the original network announcements.

10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Yeah, the press release is a bit messy, but Life Sentence was always going to premiere March 7th, effectively moving Dynasty to Fridays with Crazy Ex ending the previous week. It's just that The Originals premieres April 20th and they noted Dynasty at 8PM.

11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    The original scheduling of NuDynasty for Wednesday at 9pm was likely just a nod to its old time slot on ABC anyway, not some well-thought-out move by the schedule-monkeys over at the CW.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Well, yes, but at the same time Riverdale was probably the only show that was somewhat compatible with Dynasty, which is a problem for the CW; they've essentially turned into the comic book network with their main hit shows stemming from the so-called Arrowverse (Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and possibly Black Lightning, though that isn't official yet). That's why they keep struggling to find 9PM shows that work because they've pretty much admitted they don't want more than four "super hero" shows on air at the same time as to not get overexposure (hence Supergirl now taking a break) and at the same time it leaves shows like Dynasty, Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, the upcoming Life Sentence and partially Riverdale as the odd men out.

Last season both No Tomorrow and Frequency had technically big lead-ins but both failed miserably. Valor this season, just like Dynasty, failed to hold onto its Supergirl lead in but unlike Dynasty I guess, it didn't have a huge Netflix deal to push it past 13 episodes.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Promising news for Dynasty?

The CW is exanding to Sundays

That means two extra time slots becomes available, so they might not need to cancel a lot of shows to make room on their schedule.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009

Variety

The Originals is currently ending and Valor is as good as dead (I believe the last episode wrapped up the plotlines), so that currently leaves them with 13 shows, so most if not all could end up being renewed if they're aiming for up to 20 scripted shows next season. They've ordered nine pilots, so they should pick up around six of those (last season they ordered six pilots and ended up picking up four).

• Thanks Thanks x 1