1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

DYNASTY - "Perfect Soap for Donald Trump's America"

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Angel Gabriel, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Angel Gabriel

Angel Gabriel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    As Joan Collins revealed last year, Trump saw himself as a perfect fit for DYNASTY. But is DYNASTY a perfect fit for Trump's America?

I recently noticed a thread about the Carrington and their politics, but I abstained from getting into it. Now however Josh Schwartz came along with this thought at the TCA presentation for the new CW reboot, which obviously pertains to the original series, so I'd like to weigh in on what effect the Trumps have had on my love for DYNASTY.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/dynasty-donald-trump-kardashians-tca-1202140503/

[​IMG]

Those who have seen my posts over on the political board - generously sprinkled with insults directed at the orange ogre - know how much I abhor Trump.

For me, this is the worst possible time to bring back DYNASTY, because - if anything - my interest in the original series has somewhat waned since this corrupt abomination of presidency began.

Though, as most people do, still aspiring to improve the quality of my life with money, I have begun to see the astoundingly corrupt / criminal ways of certain rich people which in turn made me less likely to enjoy watching the Carringtons and the Colbys. Not that I hadn't seen that before, I'm not that naïve, but I've lately overdosed on disgust.

I cringe at the thought I used to get into fights defending rich white daddies like Blake Carrington and Jason Colby, as all I see now is the repugnant bloated face of Donald Trump behind them (though I still love you, John Forsythe!)

As for his uneducated redneck core, I can't see DYNASTY appealing much to them, especially since the reboot has supposedly ditched certain elements from the original series like Blake's homophobia and infused the series with 2010s focus on diversity.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Medals:
    I think it's right to ditch Blake's homophobia since this Blake was probably born in the 60s, while Forsythe's Blake was born in the 1920s - two entirely different eras when they built up their company and unless they were to turn Blake into some religious crusader I don't think it would quite fit.

Also, Alexis will apparently make appear in season 1.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,230
    Medals:
  4. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,310
    Medals:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,310
    Medals:
    Should Alexis have redecorated the mansion to look like Donald Trump's Trump Tower suite in Manhattan? Or perhaps her Carlton Hotel room should look like it?

I know Trump's triplex is considered ridiculously garish, but isn't that what Alexis would do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Medals:
    I might get ignored by several users right now - but the Trump apartment is just the tacky crap that Alexis would pull and everyone knows it.

Because at the end of the day Alexis was sort-of Nouveau Riche - she had no idea of class and style... yes, fits her style. Ban me!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,310
    Medals:
    Don't tell anybody, but it may be the only I actually like about Trump: his shockingly gauche NYC digs.

It's apparently marble and onyx. And, real gold or not, I like the wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling amber color. And, let's face it, Versailles isn't exactly all about good taste.

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Medals:
    That is perfect for Alexis. That's all I can say. :lol:

9. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,310
    Medals:
    This week, Trump called the White House "a dump" (later denying it) and has left on a 17 day vacation while 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue receives extensive renovations.

Perhaps The Donald, who's apparently paying for this out of his own pocket, wants to leave his peach-colored mark on the White House before being impeached.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Angel Gabriel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    I'll try to post this while covering my eyes in order to protect them from the blinding vulgarity of Trump's tacky penthouse.

Not only should they have gone all out on Alexis' re-decorating of the Carrington mansion (and stuck with those stories for the entire season - worst midseason retooling ever!), but they could've had that British guy Robin Leach (who used to fawn over Joan Collins anyway) make a cameo appearance on DYNASTY, as if doing one of his "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" shows.

In his trademark over-the-top voice he would've been oohing and aahing over Alexis' luxurious mansion while she'd be guiding him and his camera crew from room to room, giving the DYNASTY viewers their first glance at the re-furbished sets, too. She would of course load her remarks with constant digs at the "previous owners' bland taste."

Meanwhile, Blake and Krystle are having lunch at the Carlton, watching in disbelief, struggling not to vomit their food.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Medals:
    :clap::clap::clap: One of the best ideas ever. :D:D:D Seriously, the Carringtons and Colbys should have appeared on TV more often, with various family members "just so happening" to be tuning in at just the right time so they can corner the offending family with "How could say that on TV?!" :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,310
    Medals:
    That's funny. I've mentioned before that I'd like to have seen Krystle host a Jackie-Kennedy-Tour-of-the-White-House style program for the local Colorado news -- one Alexis could sit back watching with smug disgust, Adam at her side -- as the election campaign is going on in Season 8.

Wouldn't it be funny if Alexis had done her version of the same the previous season for a crass and vulgar show with a crass and vulgar Robin Leach regarding her crass vulgarization of the mansion...

Contrasted the next year with Krystle's staid, demure, tasteful tour of the recently-toned down decor. With Krystle being much more genteel about the contributions of "the previous Mrs Carrington" than Alexis was regarding her.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,310
    Medals:
  14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Medals:
    It's sort of sad that Melrose - literally in its dying days - did a better job at redecorating Amanda's apartment when Lexi took over. Tacky and garish red all over the place. "A whore house".

15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Medals:
    I like the idea of the season six premiere actually being focused more on the news reporting around it and Sammy Jo watching it. It would've kept the mystery going and saved them from showing the immediate aftermath.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Angel Gabriel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    It was great. So deliciously trashy. What did you think of Amanda's colorful post-explosion apartment and those tiger-print sheets? I recall really loving it all at the time. Certainly an improvement over that IKEA theme she had going in seasons 2 and 3, so ill-fitting for an ad executive.

And I had Peter Jennings also tell the viewers all about Colbyco's (and Denver Carrington's!) shady ties to the Moldavian regime in my 'Aftermath' script that got obliterated last year by some nasty malware-spreading Bitcoins-seeking pirates. I gave them my finger instead of bitcoins, nasty mother ****ers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Medals:
    IKEA! Yes that's what Amanda's apartment was like pre-explosion, though to be fair - I'm in my 30s and have just started to replace that sort of IKEA furniture.

Anyway, thought you'd enjoy this - comments from the Melrose Place set decorator:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2