DYNASTY - Remove and Replace.

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Alexis, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,707
    Medals:
    Ok this is a bit of fun. Here you can kind of play show runner. For each season who would you remove and who would you replace them with? Each season has new characters that come and go after stirring up drama. Some were more popular than others. Who could you not stand? Who did you want to replace? And who did you want to replace them with?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    That's easy for me in certain cases:

Season 9: replace Virginia with both Dana and Amanda, cuz I would have loved seeing what Paulsen would with them. Virginia was nice and she had potential, but ultimately she was superfluous, unneeded. Dana and Amanda had stronger ties to the family, plus I still love the notion of Amanda being on Adam's side and backing him up when the rest of the family gets mad at him (although I can't see Amanda believing Blake killed Roger Grimes; maybe she tries to encourage Adam not to help their mother in that endeavor).

Season 8: replace the Atkinsons with Kirby and the secret son she conceived back in season 4 with Adam. Although perhaps I'd still keep the Atkinsons around - but only for a *minor* role, in that Dana, competing with Kirby, hires Karen to be the surrogate, but Kirby somehow pays her to take the baby away. Resulting in a three-way catfight between Dana, Kirby and Karen.

Season 7: replace Leslie with Amanda, who is still being played by Catherine Oxenberg. Make Michael Cullhane's role smaller in the first part of the season with Amanda battling Sammy Jo for Clay's affections. Later on Michael manages to win over Amanda, but he gets killed (either he's shot by his mafia connections, or he dies in the rumored avalanche finale, or in the wedding when Matthew returns).

Season 6: replace Dominique and Jackie with Fallon, who goes back and forth between Denver and Los Angeles. The Deveraux women set up home in LA and become regulars on The Colbys. Jackie sets eyes on Miles and believes he is the one for her. Things only get more complicated when Channing arrives on the scene. ;) Oh yes, and replace Prince Michael with Clay Fallmont a LOT sooner. Or have Prince Charmless be killed in the season premiere. Or in the massacre. Whichever. lol

I guess that's it for now.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Artur

Artur Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I would have kept Claudia instead of Dominique and Jackie in season 7. There was no point to have Dominique around that time. She and Nick became black extras on the screen. Everytime they needed some additional human to the scene they reached for her. It would have been better to make a room for Ben/Claudia team. Especially when they both have a reason to destroy Adam and fight against the rest of family.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,525
    Medals:
    This is interesting, but I need to think about it - very very carefully.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    YES. I've said this to death, but Dominique and Jackie should have been on The Colbys, not Dynasty. After season 5, there was no more room for them, they needed a new show to properly grow.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Artur

Artur Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I think that Dominique character became useless with the arrival of Ashley Mitchel, who stole her screentime. Then Dominique became sick black half- sister for the rest of season. I don't even remember what she was doing for the first half of season 6. She had only one interesting scene with Alexis when she was sitting in Blake's chair in DC.

I would also remove Samym Jo after season 7. When she grew up there was nothing exciting about her character anymore. Especially in season 9 when Steven was gone. I would explore her more in season 6 and 7. I have a scene on my mind where competing sisters Fallon and Amanda start playing in the same team to find out what Sammy Jo was up to. They both take her by hand and lead her forcibly to separate room. Then they force her to confession playing good cop and bad cop.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    I've contemplated the notion of getting rid of the character of Ashley altogether, and giving a lot of her stuff to Dominique - who in this particular remake is *NOT*, I repeat, *NOT* Blake's sister, but instead Alycia Anders. I know I've been over this before, but imagine this:

In season 4, after Joseph killed himself, Blake and Alexis had an argument where Alexis accused Blake of having an affair with Joseph's "sexy young wife, the attic nympho." Blake of course said that wasn't true, and chances are he was telling the truth... but what if Alycia Anders really did lust after the handsome Mr. Carrington whom her husband worked for? What if she envied the life Alexis Carrington was living? What if she was suspicious that Joseph was having an affair with Alexis?

So, when Alycia comes back with the new identity of Dominique Deveraux, she moves in on Blake and tries to snatch Alexis' business out from under her, just so Alexis will end up with nothing while Dominique/Alycia has everything Alexis Carrington once had. Of course, Krystle is now an important player in all this, so Dominique is the one who's been sending all those photos of Blake and Krystle "cheating" on each other in order to drive them apart.

Which means Miss Deveraux gets two catfights each with Alexis and then Krystle. :D:D:D

Of course, I'd still keep in the part of her collapsing and needing surgery, because, as lazy as it sounds, its what helps resolve the conflict. Dominique backs off of Blake, siting that she never really loved him, and allows Alexis to keep her business (though she does remind her rival, "I brought you to your knees, and I can do it again. So tread very lightly when you're around me, or my children." Alexis gets the message).

I don't know, I think there was still potential for SJ in seasons 8 and 9. I recall an old thread talking about how they would re-write Steven, and it included a love-triangle between him, Sammy Jo and Josh in season 8, with Josh being bisexual this time around. Plus I enjoyed the love-triangle with SJ, Fallon and Jeff in season 9, and I really liked how SJ and Fallon ended up becoming friends, and even became roomies for a while. That was fun, I thought.

However, your idea of the Carrington sisters teaming up against Sammy Jo and playing good cop bad cop is purely awesome. :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Artur

Artur Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I would have brought Dominique back only for trial episodes with Ben as a guest star. However the Garett/Jackie stuff should have been transferred. If they had rewritten her character as Alycia I would have kept Kirby in season 5 and removed Jeff/Nicole.

I don't know what to do with Jeff. As much as I want Fallon back on Dynasty in season 6, I completely have no concept for her husband. He seems to be useless in any further stories.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    I would Keep Matthew in seasons 2-4 wiping away his replacements; Nick Toscanni and Mark Jennings.

Amanda in season 9 would've been great, Virginia was essentially another Amanda replacement after Leslie.

For me Dominique would be the one to go over to the Colby's as Fallon belonged on Dynasty with the rest of the Carrington clan

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    Does that mean you'd have Matthew be killed in season 4, with Alexis getting blamed for the job? ...I'm intrigued. :D

Well, you could always just keep him on The Colbys? And then bring him back for seasons 8 and 9 and just have him do what he was doing then?

11. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Why not just take jeff out of the series, and keep the limo driver as her main love interest. Hve miles with Cecil.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,525
    Medals:
    Let me start with keeping Caress for the rest of the show's run, so we could have a Caress/Sable/Alexis showdown in season 9:box:

• Like Like x 4
  13. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Caress could always joke at their kids marrying each other, why did Sable act like jeff was not her own flesh and blood, he was her sister's kid.

14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    Well, as much as I too was annoyed at Sable's behavior towards Jeff ("He is NOT a stranger, Sable, he's your own nephew, your sister's son, your brother-in-law's son!"), it was still understandable, given how he was given all of Connie's shares and was now working at the family company. Plus he was the son of the very sister she was estranged with. Maybe had Jeff never inherited the money, Sable would have been friendlier towards him.

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,525
    Medals:
    And leave the woman he was supposed to re-marry, the mother of his child, with her precious Miles. And also not outstay his welcome in Los Angeles.
    Yes, then she would be much more friendlier.

She was always so easy to please:lmao:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,707
    Medals:
    bastard...

17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    Haha. X) But I was referring to how she was hostile and paranoid towards Jeff even before she knew about the whole Fallon thing.

18. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +439
    No Leslie, no Virginia - Amanda (Oxenberg) stays until the end ( a catfight with Fallon included).
    In S7: triangle Sammy Jo /Clay/Amanda
    In S8: she teams up with Adam against Steven & Fallon to run DC, she even sleeps with Jeff to get him on her side.
    In S9: she is the only child Blake can trust while Fallon sleeps with Zorelli and Adam tries to get him arrested

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    :10