Dynasty Renewed for 3rd Season

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,870
    • Like x 3
    • Thanks x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,725
    Read this NEWS on an Australian website. With its low ratings I was surprised Dynasty was renewed. Perhaps the viewing numbers on Netflix are higher than we thought. With this news I don't expect the style will change much on Dynasty 2.0. I think it will be just more of the same.

Good NEWS for the actors and all those working on the series.

3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
    Medals:
    Told you all it would get renewed.

Also, did this news crash the website? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,870
    I assume the DYNASTY reboot will be getting 22 episodes next season in line with the first two years. If so, it will have produced at least 66 episodes, well exceeding the 40 episodes TNT's continuation of DALLAS managed to produce within its 3 seasons.

And if the old rule of 3-year shows being almost-guaranteed a 4th year for syndication purposes is still valid, it could easily go all the way to 88 episodes (one episode shy of Revenge).

One other thing I'd note - the original show ended up being inextricably linked to "the Reagan years." If this show lasts till 2021, will its legacy be that of a trashy primetime soap about rich people during "the Trump years"? How fitting would that be?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Sweet. I don't know what I would do without Elizabeth Gillies in my life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
    Medals:
    I'm not entirely sure if they'll do 22 episodes next year - both Reign and Jane the Virgin started having their episode order cut in seasons three forward. I wouldn't be surprised if it got 16-18 episodes next year (which I'm sure will make some will think it's definitively going to be cancelled, ignoring entirely how The CW operates). Then again, it's taking up a non-priority slot so they might end up giving it 22. Either way it'll end up with more episodes than TNTDallas.

Season four is pretty much a given at this point - beyond that is up in the air, but it'll depend on how The CW overall is doing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,675
    Medals:
    :jump::yeah::heels:

Terrific news!!!

Netflix was key.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +425
    And "The Colbys" !

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,725
    A keen observation. Perhaps this was the premise of Dynasty 2.0 all along. I took a look at the pilot episode again the other day (I do miss Nathalie Kelley) and noted how the Trump and Kardashian family were used to display wealth. Perhaps I missed the point the producers were going with in their vision of Dynasty. It was meant to reflect how trashy and inward looking these families are today. So, you could be right.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,870
    Wow, that’s a fine little buffet of assorted ratings my OP generated. Might there be genuine (if secret) joy the show hasn’t been axed yet? Who knows, maybe they’ll get to recapture whatever momentum they had going on in late season 1.

So do I. I think it was a mistake to recast Cristal. Her getting shot could’ve been a good opportunity for her and Blake to make up. I’m still hoping there’s some kind of a Rita plot going on here and they’re hiding her in some attic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Considering the ratings it’s obvious CBS and Netflix are why the show stays on air. Considering serialized shows do so well on Netflix it shocks me they’ve gone with such an languid pace. You’d think the focus would be making sure people want to binge on Netflix, yet they’re content with nothing happening for weeks at a time. That could come back to bite them if it causes people to slow down their streaming on Netflix.

There was recently an article about Law and Order saying that despite its popularity and longevity, nobody wants to pay to stream it since its expensive and being self contained it has less of a binge factor. If Netflix is their main reason for being renewed they need to step up the drama! Bring back that tune in tomorrow factor we had last season. Get in the press. It’s telling the writers are never interviewed by TV Line or EW when most shows are featured. There simply isn’t anything going on worth speaking to them about. Original Dynasty May have been ridiculous at times but they knew how to get people talking, good or bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,725
    I agree. This version of Dynasty has no water cooler moments. Also, apart from seeing the official CW 10 second trailers on youtube promoting the next episode I hear nothing else about Dynasty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    A new development to consider....Warner Bros is doing their own streaming service and wants to pull the CW shows off Netflix. Considering Netflix is what’s keeping the show on the air, I’m not sure what this means for Dynasty after next season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Medals:
    If that means that "old" Warner shows like Knots Landing and Falcon Crest will be completly availabe on that service, then i don't care what happens with nuDynasty. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,725
    Might be slightly off topic here but this sounds like familiar territory with Netflix cancelling Marvel shows. I wonder if this has something to do with Disney and their streaming service about to begin later this year.

I'd hate to mention Dynasty's rival on this thread but I wonder if Warner Bros. will screen Lorimar Dallas on their streaming service. One thing that is beginning to annoy me about these late bloomers to streaming is wishing to withdraw their content from Netflix and retain it for themselves. No way will I be subscribing to multiple streaming services just to catch a few of my favourite series. I'll just go without thank you.

16. ChrisSumner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    The only way Warner’s will get me with their streaming is if they stream the soaps. Knots, Falcon Crest, Dallas, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Medals:
    They are referring to the shows on the CW that come from Warner Studios. Since Dynasty is from CBS studios, I don't think it will make the move.

Yeah, the first thing I thought when I heard this news about Warner's streaming service was "KNOTS!":pray:

18. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
    Medals:
    The Warner streaming service is for US only too, so it's unlikely to affect their international deals, which is where at least Dynasty seems to make its bulk of revenue by being released the next day internationally.

With that said, even if it's synergy and all that, this Warner streaming service would still have to match Netflix's offer which I doubt they can since The CW is pretty much profitable only because of it. The channel itself is running in the red and it always has, which is why The WB and UPN merged in the first place.

19. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,132
    I doubt they are any good. But they don't need to be. The CW will renew even shows without a Netflix deal for up to four seasons, with abysmal ratings--case in point: My Crazy Ex Girlfriend. In fact, if a show is not cancelled at the end of season 1 by the CW, it usually reaches four seasons. Especially now, with the network expanding nights of programming, they need to have something on, and if it is something with a nice Netflix side deal to help offset the costs and a brand name (much as they are ruining it), so much the better.

At least the peach Dynasty crew will not get to say "oh, we did not have a chance to fulfill our vision because of abrupt cancellation."

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,725
    ...and that vision is?

That's not a negative comment directed at you Michael but the writers of Dynasty 2.0. Once green-lit for a full second season they really could have knuckled down and wrote a compelling Season 2, especially since we discovered - between seasons - Nathalie Kelley was gone. Now that Dynasty has been given a 3rd season I'm struggling how, especially after the roller coaster of some good, some bad episodes of this season, its been given another go.

• Agree Agree x 1