Dynasty: Season 7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Oct 1, 2016.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Some stuff happened on The Rig, most of it crap, but I did like Ben's sort of rape attempt against Alexis and Blake making fun of the fact that Ben all of a sudden has a daughter. That stuff with Adam running into her... just horrendous. And who was surprised that oil rig exploded?

And, finally, the famous A Love Remembered (1). Wow. Everything about it screams, this is a Very. Special. Episode. Even the directing seems to wake up. I have to admit, the explosion was pretty decent and despite some ridiculous plot holes (they think to have Alexis flip her ring to make it look like a wedding band but she spends the entire scene touching Blake, meaning he'd feel the stone that's on her palm!!!), it is a doozy. I don't recall Collins looking this gorgeous in years. The set they build them is nice (the exterior shot, though, is clearly California). Most importantly, the whole thing progresses with a steady pace, excitement, good dialogue and--shock!!!--it makes dramatic sense. It's just too much. Quite interesting that Alexis wants to ignore the leases when she remembers her love for Blake.

Of course, for every good Alexis/Blake scene, we have Krystle moaning and sighing as she's so useless that she can't even get her own damn self a ticket and must beg Steven to do so. The restaurant scene with Dex and Krystle was interesting; I wonder if they would have ever thought of pairing the two.

Even Sammy Jo's accident, although stupid, is executed surprisingly and well.

The whole thing is somewhat a letdown, though, when the episode ends with Alexis just ordering that Blake is not allowed any calls or visitors.. so, in other words, what she's been doing all episode long.

• Like Like x 5
  2. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    It seems as if the producers of DYNASTY finally found a story they were interested in telling with A Love Remembered. Oh, it was full of plotholes (why did no one mention to Krystle that Blake had amnesia when he left the hospital? Why did everyone forget that?!!!) and moved too fast. It's clear the show has to come to a standstill when its hero (Blake) is incapacitated, but it did feel like we went from sleepy pace to lightning fast.

Still, I can't lie: Blake remembering at the last minute and running after Krystle, reuniting while the score plays, was very effective. Now I fear we will be back to unpleasantness.

Dominique returns for some Tilden nonsense but at least Nick Kimball gets to be all heroic and sexy.

I couldn't help but notice Krystle and Dex had some really good chemistry... like, I would be tempted to write them an affair.

• Like Like x 6
  3. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +169
    It is probably the only time that amnesia has genuinely enhanced a soap's plotting and drama, as opposed to being lazy and tedious, and/or to disguise a "retcon".

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    You said a mouthful there. I remember Esther Shapiro explaining the show's decline as "we run out of story for the older characters." But if she and the Pollocks did, why not hire talent that had story ideas?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    Because they were social friends, and Esther's comment was one of those endless throwaway rationalizations she made all the time, like "we both wanted to be Blake" and "audiences like their women strong but their men stronger" and that Krystle in the attic for 5 years "was just too much misery."

I mean, she was often right, but even she couldn't distinguish between her own legit insights and her bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    It's very obvious that A Love Remembered really meant something to the writers (for a change). Blake and Alexis (and Krystle) in every scene and the others become the boring stuffing you're forced to include, to justify the show's meaning.

I don't care, I love ALR! And I suffer through the Blake and Alexis-scenes because I know True Love prevails in the end.:p
    The whole story is in fact beautiful, a picture of two eras and the presentation of a man and his two women. A time-hole of another perfect past in the present. Alexis is a complex character and you just have to love her!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +55
    But they did! They would hold “bake offs” and hire the writers who ideas they liked! That’s seasons 5-9. The best hire was Paulsen but it was too late!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Using the portrait Alexis did of Blake to squeeze out a little more drama out of Blake's amnesia was effective and a good idea. I loved that she sent it to Krystle. Of course, in the next episode, Alexis and Blake are enjoying a tremendously good relationship, which at the very least is bizarre to watch. Like, he's not even a little upset she stole him away like that?

Alexis being so nice, in general, is a little weird. She readily accepts Adam's engagement (and talks about love and all that crap) and goes to Dex to apologize for being what she is -- a mega bitch. Speaking of Dex, the show gets very close to actually doing some character drama when Dex saves Dominique from a flat tire (that scene is actually pretty sweet and amusing--Dex even calls out 'the powerful 80s woman'!) and I thoroughly enjoyed their bar scene (they have good chemistry!) and, later, their decision to remain friends. Naturally, the show ruins it when it turns this into yet another opportunity for Alexis to get the commercial break cliffhanger. That being said, it's all worth it for Alexis' line: "From lounge lizard to trailer tramp!"

Amanda gone, just like that. LMAO!

Is it me, or did they literally reuse the Season 1 oil rig establishing shots, literally shot by shot, same editing, etc? With a little extra new footage.

Blake going to see Leslie and within two seconds proclaiming her to be Fallon: Ridiculous. We've never seen Leslie act in any of the ways that Blake "knows" she does, even though he JUST met her. Forced, unearned drama.

Speaking of forced drama: Krystina gets possessed! And here I was, thinking DAYS OF OUR LIVES was the first one to do that story! I mean, that's what it is, right? Demonic possession? Well, I don't care, as long as they make Krystle cry. I do love to watch Krystle cry.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    HA HA, if only...

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    I've watched up to "The Garage". Weirdly enough, the much maligned Krystina story didn't bother me so much. For two or three episodes, up until Krystina has her surgery, the story focuses the entire show in the same way Blake's amnesia did. The show had purpose once more, and it's clear how beneficial a central plotline can be to a season of an ongoing serial.

Rita Lakin joins the headwriting team, and it's truly hilarious how the show instantly takes a turn. Both "The Mothers" and "The Surgery" feel like primetime episodes from Lakin's time on THE DOCTORS, a daytime soap vastly superior to most of DYNASTY. If one ever catches a DOCTORS rerun during an episode with surgery, the moody surgery scenes along with shots of family waiting will look familiar. In fact, this entire story wouldn't be out of place on that show. Unfortunately, this show is too dead to genuinely portray the emotions the characters are going through, but I appreciated the effort nonetheless. I never expected an episode to end with a dark, moody freezeframe of the two mothers, Krystle and Sarah, holding on to each other, like something directly out of the 60s.

The story is handled well-enough, it's true. Of course, the show is trying to squeeze out some emotion, and it just can't. Cassie Yates as the grieving mother that makes the ultimate sacrifice elicits zero sympathy from me, and I'm not exactly a difficult target. The actress' face is constantly wet with tears but I don't feel it. There's been a lot of Krystle crying and, by now, it feels painful to have to sit through one more scene of that... and not in a good way.

But the show delivers in some other ways while all this is happening: Neal McVane's return is shocking and exciting. It's hard to take him seriously when you remember him in that Alexis wig, but Paul Burke is giving an excellent performance, genuinely scary, threatening, and nearly-demented. Pairing that with the possibility of Adam not being a Carrington (I don't believe it for a second) is a good idea, and for a while the story moves satisfyingly (even Dr. Edwards returns!) but then Adam starts to drink and Blake accepts Adam and puts him back in his will for no reason other than to facilitate Adam's story and it all goes back to familiar, half-baked DYNASTY territory.

The show throws Clay and Leslie together too. It's weird but they did get a couple little chuckles out of me, which the show hasn't managed to do in a long time.

Interesting that Krystle would find the garden gnome has attempted suicide and brings her to the Carrington mansion. God, I feel like they're going to turn her into a psycho, and it will be painful. We shall see....

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    It was good. I just wanted that story not to go away. Pity Forsyth's unprofessional jealousy toward Collins hampered the show terribly. As for Blake not being even a little upset, I like to believe that is the true point of that plotline.

I will grant you it gives the show focus, but it is like a magnifying glass over an anthill gives the sun focus, causing it to catch fire.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    And that's exactly why the story didn't work. I appreciate dark, but by this point the show can only portray darkness as sickness --- not the sickness of characters or their environment, but of the show itself.

Yes, the portrait story was one of those many plots which had potential they dropped too soon so they wouldn't have to spend any time following up on it -- while the dreadful ideas lasted forever.

First of all, Collins was a pain in the ass. Not just Forsythe who was apparently more professional than she by far.

But are you talking about here his refusal to have Blake have an amnesiacal affair with Alexis? I'm not sure if we need that affair or not, but the missed opportunity was Alexis hounding Krystle for the remainder of the season with the insistence that their shacking up in Singapore had been consummated, factual or not.

But John and Linda really didn't want their characters to cheat. To the point that when Sable arrives in the living room in Season 9 for a dinner party with the family, and the writers wanted Blake to laugh uproariously at one of Sable's jokes -- so Krystle, about to leave and die, could "notice" that Blake likes Sable -- John seems to refuse even more than a polite chuckle, leaving Linda to "notice" nothing at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    I don't know (either way) about Evans --but Forsyth made his displeasure at Collins'/Alexis' expanded role known early on, and he routinely assumed if the whole cast was to receive an award, he would accept it and certainly not Collins. A lot of cast interviews after the show was over were discussing how much the publicity machine was trying to whip up an Evans/Collins feud when really Forsyth just thought Collins was below his class (including for having posed for Playboy). Now, his opinions are his own, but they interfered with the show's ability to have the two integral characters meaningfully interacting after a point, and certainly having any sense of lingering emotions as the show let on in season two and brought back to surface in season seven. And let's not forget his maniacal obsession that he make more than Collins even by a dollar.

I don't doubt how much a pain Collins herself was, especially once she realized she was the true star of the show. But her storyline objections were not that intense to my knowledge (other than calling for a boycott of THE COLBYS, and I can't blame her for that) or that crucial.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    You're making Forythe's behavior out to be comparable to that of George Peppard. Forsythe (and others) had issues with Joan's increasingly diva-like behavior on the set (even Gordon Thomson says, quite credibly, that Collins projected her own jealousy over Linda's popularity on the set onto Linda in the press). And the award-snatching situation sounds like Joan being the naughty puppy (as Diahann called her) but not everyone was likely to be so amused.

But I see no evidence, and have heard none, that Forsythe actively squelched Alexis's rise or stole her thunder . Something Peppard would have done in a two seconds.

15. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Congratulate me, lovelies -- I've finished Season 7!

One of the main issues with 7B for me was that this was DYNASTY's version of the second half of DALLAS' dream season: Suddenly, everyone is getting along! Everyone's nice! Everyone hugs and supports and listens to and is respectful of one another! Any arguments are resolved quickly. It leaves the show with the task of bringing numerous outside characters to force drama upon the Carringtons instead of them generating most of it themselves. It's bizarre, to say the least. Thankfully, they didn't take it there with Krystle/Alexis and Alexis/Sammy Jo.

Adam's story about not being a Carrington was the best story the show has done in ages. The show wasn't capable of actually making it good, but it came close, and at least it made narrative sense from beginning to end, mostly. Blake and Alexis adopting him was even a little touching. Poor Michael, though: Not even an exit scene it seems!

Also, the Sarah Curtis story was relatively well-written (especially for this show and compared to the random Maurier stuff) but, again, the show cannot properly portray it. Yates was really bad, even for DYNASTY standards, but I appreciate that I could watch it and not roll my eyes every two seconds.

The Sammy Jo/Steven story, which initially was written with some brains and even portrayed some genuine tenderness between those two people eventually dissolved into a mess of horses with broken bones, Steven suddenly being a supposedly horrible father who keeps hurting his son, and incredibly forced drama. I guess Steven dicked Sammy Jo so good that the drama was inevitable. I wish they'd just drop it.

The less is said about Dirk Maurier (what an incredibly useless story this turned out to be) and that one-step-above Peter DeVilbis, weirdly-accented nephew of his, the better.

I did enjoy that they had the guts to have Leslie and Clay sleep together and then have them realize they may be related. Loved that Buck believed Emily's claim that Clay is a Fallmont but told the lie anyway.

Nick proposed to Dominique and two episodes later proposed again as if it had never happened. Oy. This time, Dominique says yes, since it's the end of the season and she won't be coming back. Ben and Clay also go bye-bye.

So much cringe at Alexis' accident. So badly executed. I love that she lets go of the wheel and covers her face, but then, as the car is falling into the river, she's steering the wheel. OK, let me know if that helps! Also, as the car falls, you can clearly see a male dummy on the passenger side of the car. They couldn't even put a pink dress on it? Or, at least, use Neal McVane in drag again? lmao

I'm not even sure what to say about the siege. It's nice that Hopkins was brought back (it would be so typical of DYNASTY to recast, making it pointless) but I can't even imagine what he would think about this whole thing. He always seemed like such an intelligent actor and to go from Season 1 to this... Well. Also, the show is doing another wedding attack, only 2 years after the first one decimated them (the ratings, not the actual characters, mind you). And the less is said about the randomly dubbed voices of the mercenaries or the fact that they seem to be in blackface.... But, hey, it's cool that he creepily touches Krystle and tells her he came back for her. I love to see Krystle suffer. This is the THIRD return-for-revenge story in this season, by the way.

I suppose Krystle's headaches were completely dropped. Of course.

Random question: If Clay, Ben, and Buck could do a paternity test, why the hell can't Adam and Blake?!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    You mean Leslie and Clay. Although that's a thought: Sarah Curtis and Clay Fallmont... then again, ew, no, let's not go down that road. :lol:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Yes, thanks! And not even Season 7 reached that level of suckitude!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,881
    Not only was Sarah's daughter going to die (so shortly after her husband), they were also going to cut the heart out of it. Call me a kitty but I think I'd cry too, like, a lot.
    But, that's what Carringtons do: take, take, take!

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    I want Sarah to have attempted suicide in those Carrington garages we saw so much of in S1 and S2, and it would remind the press (thanks to some nudging by Alexis' tabloid behind the scenes) of the girl who'd died of a drug overdose in the garage guest room in 1964 just after Blake's separation, the girl having been a Marilyn Monroe-type starlet Blake had briefly dated, Blake feeling sorry for the troubled creature and who'd allowed her to stay there for a time.

Tongues wagged of "foul play" after her death.

Emily Fallmont could then confess to Blake at Adam and Dana's reception at the Skycrest Lodge on the crater lake just below the summit of Scorpio Peak (which Blake had purchased a year earlier and made part of the estate) that the starlet had also been having an affair with Senator Fallmont, her husband. Emily arrived at the guest house late one night with the starlet's physician, demanded the girl leave Denver, and had the doctor deliver a syringe of something once the girl became hysterical, Emily and the doctor then escaping into the night, leaving the poor distraught thing to overdose as she had been popping sedatives all day prior to the arrival of Emily and Dr. Feelgood.

Once the planned season ending earthquake occurs, most of the Fallmonts would be killed when the lodge goes cascading down the mountain.

Would that make the Sarah Curtis and the depressed Fallmonts' plotlines just a teensy bit more interesting?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    From what I recall the scene where the car falls from the bridge and into the river is actually stock footage, so it wasn't even shot specifically for Dynasty.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1