Dynasty: Season 7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Oct 1, 2016.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    Some stuff happened on The Rig, most of it crap, but I did like Ben's sort of rape attempt against Alexis and Blake making fun of the fact that Ben all of a sudden has a daughter. That stuff with Adam running into her... just horrendous. And who was surprised that oil rig exploded?

And, finally, the famous A Love Remembered (1). Wow. Everything about it screams, this is a Very. Special. Episode. Even the directing seems to wake up. I have to admit, the explosion was pretty decent and despite some ridiculous plot holes (they think to have Alexis flip her ring to make it look like a wedding band but she spends the entire scene touching Blake, meaning he'd feel the stone that's on her palm!!!), it is a doozy. I don't recall Collins looking this gorgeous in years. The set they build them is nice (the exterior shot, though, is clearly California). Most importantly, the whole thing progresses with a steady pace, excitement, good dialogue and--shock!!!--it makes dramatic sense. It's just too much. Quite interesting that Alexis wants to ignore the leases when she remembers her love for Blake.

Of course, for every good Alexis/Blake scene, we have Krystle moaning and sighing as she's so useless that she can't even get her own damn self a ticket and must beg Steven to do so. The restaurant scene with Dex and Krystle was interesting; I wonder if they would have ever thought of pairing the two.

Even Sammy Jo's accident, although stupid, is executed surprisingly and well.

The whole thing is somewhat a letdown, though, when the episode ends with Alexis just ordering that Blake is not allowed any calls or visitors.. so, in other words, what she's been doing all episode long.

• Like Like x 4
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    It seems as if the producers of DYNASTY finally found a story they were interested in telling with A Love Remembered. Oh, it was full of plotholes (why did no one mention to Krystle that Blake had amnesia when he left the hospital? Why did everyone forget that?!!!) and moved too fast. It's clear the show has to come to a standstill when its hero (Blake) is incapacitated, but it did feel like we went from sleepy pace to lightning fast.

Still, I can't lie: Blake remembering at the last minute and running after Krystle, reuniting while the score plays, was very effective. Now I fear we will be back to unpleasantness.

Dominique returns for some Tilden nonsense but at least Nick Kimball gets to be all heroic and sexy.

I couldn't help but notice Krystle and Dex had some really good chemistry... like, I would be tempted to write them an affair.

• Like Like x 4
  3. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +166
    It is probably the only time that amnesia has genuinely enhanced a soap's plotting and drama, as opposed to being lazy and tedious, and/or to disguise a "retcon".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +982
    You said a mouthful there. I remember Esther Shapiro explaining the show's decline as "we run out of story for the older characters." But if she and the Pollocks did, why not hire talent that had story ideas?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    Because they were social friends, and Esther's comment was one of those endless throwaway rationalizations she made all the time, like "we both wanted to be Blake" and "audiences like their women strong but their men stronger" and that Krystle in the attic for 5 years "was just too much misery."

I mean, she was often right, but even she couldn't distinguish between her own legit insights and her bullshit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1