Dynasty: Season 7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Oct 1, 2016.

1. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    If only Krystle had imagined Matthew's return because of her headaches ! A little bit like in the reboot with Claudia...

• Like Like x 2
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109

IIRC, Linda's contract was up so she was about to leave before she ended up signing a new contract. The "headaches" were basically foreshadowing in case they had to write her off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    :crazy:

Best reference to Sarah Curtis so far! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  4. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I already know that but still, I like the idea of Krystle having some kind of hallucinations where she sees Matthew (and maybe Mark too) being alive and talking to her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    True, I was just pointing out the lazy and random writing. When Evans re-signed they could've of course used the headaches in a bigger plot, but in true Dynasty style they just... didn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    You could have bypassed all of season eight for Evans/Krystle and go straight to season nine and won't miss a beat. The tension they tried to create with her digging up dirt on Alexis had potential but by that point DYNASTY was a pale imitation of its former glory. Early DYNASTY would have created such a dynamite plot out of that rivalry, but season eight dealt with them as a clip show opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    Isn't that a bit spoilery? i don't know if JROG wants to watch S8 at all, but if he does.... just saying ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    Maybe. Yet the problem is 1) I can't edit the post now to add a spoiler and 2) JROG has already liked your post, so it is already read :D
    Together with an apology, I will say that season 8 is so confusing, I doubt he can figure out what I may have spoiled until he sees it.
    PS: Matthew's return and the headaches not being fatal posted are not spoilers?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  9. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Thanks!

No worries. I do plan to watch Season 8, so would like to keep myself as unspoiled as possible. I wasn't fast enough for that Krystle tidbit. lol

What do you mean? I already know about Matthew's return and was fairly certain the headaches were dropped since they weren't brought up in the last 2/3 of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +244
    The writers of NuDynasty performed a miracle: they took "Matthew returns from the dead with a scar on his forehead and crashes a Carrington wedding" and made it work - brilliantly. Maybe you can polish a turd.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    Good boy! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    I liked Gordon Thomson's 2006 Reunion error that Blaisdel had been involved in the Moldavia massacre scenario. That works way better in my head than the stupid siege which ended S7.

Had they done the earthquake cliffhanger in 1987 as originally planned, what should have caused it? Terrorists? ColbyCo exploiting the mineral rights under the Carrington estate via fracking (although no one talked about fracking back then, and would never have taken seriously localized earthquakes being the result like they did by the time nuDALLAS did it)??

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    Ok, it happens at the end of the season, that is why it is a spoiler for the remaining episodes. I guess this means you have read about the remaining seasons even not having watched them?

I thought it worked great for S7. A non-sequitur cliffhanger for a non-sequitur season. It is like "we are a mess and it shows through and through." :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I don't know where the earthquake cliffhanger comes from but it was not in the bible. In the original plans, Krystle was in fatal conditions because of her headaches, Blake was engulfed in a car explosion with Amanda and Michael and Alexis had become the prey of Ben (her husband !)

Snarky's Ghost, is it something that you read in the press at the time ?

Since "Falcon Crest" did it the previous season, it would have been quite a letdown.

I also read in this forum something about an avalanche and I like it, even though I see this for season 8 (maybe a mid-season cliffhanger like the explosion on the rig in mid-season 7).

• Like Like x 3
  16. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    I think the "earthquake" cliffhanger is indeed the "avalanche" cliffhanger - just that the earthquake would've caused it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    This sounds much better than actual 7B, but let's face it, Alexis and Blake losing their fortune and having to join the circus would have been more exciting than actual 7B.

I liked season 8 a lot on paper--there were certain moves that could have propelled the show forward. And though it was disappointing on screen, it still felt more focused to me and had overall arcs beginning to end--something DYNASTY did not have for many, many years (with the exception of 6B/7A). Plus Samms as Fallon is showing some improvement from THE COLBYS mess. I think you might enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    I think fans seem to think either 7b or season 8 are the worst of Dynasty - personally, I prefer season 8.

No, it's not high quality television or anything, but at least there's over-arching plotlines and they actually seem committed to tell a story (even if it's not very good). The season "only" being 22 episodes also makes it less painful and drawn out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    Me too, 7B ist just horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly bad!
    That and that stupid, ridiculous Reunion are the two worst parts of the whole show.

S8 feels so loooong and boring for the most part (even though it's "just" 22 episodes but feels more like 88), but at least it's consistent in itself and the last episode is quite good and even a little exciting towards the end, but i guess that's because Paulsen was already partly involved there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    I remember fast forwarding through 7B--for the first time ever in DYNASTY (I watched that season on VHS as the series was coming out on VHS first at the time since national TV lost first rights at the end of season 5 and its popularity).
    I thought at the time season 8 had a game plan for moving the show to the next phase, and there were some nice twists in interpersonal relationships (for example between the siblings). It just got bogged down after the first third of the series, and I realized that they didn't really plan to take it to the next phase, only make it look like that.
    It probably lacked a show-runner like Paulsen who could make gutsy moves. I think if he had even taken it over at that time, and with the same premise (and time slot) the show would not have been cancelled. Then again, Robert Iger seemed determined to take it off the schedule, so who knows.

• Like Like x 1