Dynasty: Season 7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    Yes, the avalanche would have been caused by an earthquake. Or perhaps it was just an avalanche caused by too much snow. But apparently Aaron nixed it due to budget issues.

I also prefer S8 to late-S7. As said above, S8 looks good on paper. But as dumb as the writing remained for S8, the show seemed to relax (i.e., incompetent producers finally gave up) such that even the music score calmed down and S.A.D. seemed to diminish (although it still ran off Leann Hunley).

Although late-S7 today probably wouldn't seem as awful in reruns where it all goes by much more quickly, and the incredibly splotchy, ruddy, grainy broadcast prints of 1987 a thing of the past.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    Sometimes! :D

No, I thought you were talking about him appearing in general. I don't know what happens after the season 7 cliffhanger, I've never read about 8 and 9 in any detail.

That sounds pretty good. I don't expect any miracles but do hope to see some small improvement.

I can attest to that. I practically binge-watched the second half of the season and it helped. It probably would have been a different story if I had to sit through Sammy Jo and Steven's "drama" over the course of 5 damn months.

Random thought: I just realized they also dropped Dominique's story about the guy after her business. Are we really to assume that because Nick showed up and beat up his men at the studio that it was all resolved? And didn't he say, on the same episode his story was last seen, that she hadn't heard the last from him? Messy, lazy....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I just finished Season 7 a few days ago. As with any season of any show, it had its pros and cons.

To start off, I did like the Steven and Sammy Jo arc, the lingering thought that maybe... just maybe... that they would attempt to give their relationship a good again. Their scenes together at Delta Rho were, as I see them, some of the best for both characters in quite some time.

I enjoyed Alexis and Ben taking over the Carrington mansion and Denver-Carrington in the early episodes, but it fizzled quickly. But what should I expect? Having Alexis and Ben (most especially Alexis) at the head of Blake's powerhouse would have knocked the show off its established and seemingly unshakable status quo. They weren't about to destroy that, but only toy with it, which leads one unfulfilled.

Krystina's heart transplant could have been alright, but it seems a little too much. I heart transplant? I know it isn't too uncommon, at least not in this show's universe, but I just wished her ailment had of been something. Krystle's reactions, by now, are quite hard for me to watch. Please grow up, just a tad, please. Blake's wanting to more or less by Sarah Curtis' approval is quite sick, albeit understandable if I were in the same situation with similar resources. And as for Sarah, well, I seemed to like her alright, but only after I found out she (Cassie Yates) had been born in Macon, Georgia! (Yeah, I'm a Georgia baby, too.)

I liked the possibility of Alexis and Dex rekindling their romance at the start of the season. I've always liked Alexis with Dex, and never either of them with anyone else. Perhaps that's why the writers keep pulling them apart? Even if it is, I still don't like it. :mad:

Adam and Dana's courtship was, in traditional Soap Land fashion, riddled with troubles. They couldn't have it any other way it seems. Adam's battle with alcoholism only worsens as questions arise about his true identity. All of that I liked, but was kind of let down in the finale that Blake and Alexis want to erase it all and take him in regardless to whom he could really be. As for his relationship with Dana, it pans out alright in most spots, but it does seem to drag and leaves me wanting to just move on in most areas.

Almost everything else in the season, regardless to what it was, could be taken as a flip of the coin. It seems all of Dominique and Ben's story arcs were mere after thoughts post-the early episodes, and don't even get me started on Jackie and Leslie. Not their fans at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Me too; I wanted that storyline to live on a bit longer. The portrait was so Alexis and a perfect way to intense it, and have Blake tell Krystle what she needed to hear. The writers could just as easily have ignored the tension of Krystle never knowing what really happened between Blake and Alexis in Singapore, or have B&K have one of their "between the lines" conversation where something is said.
    If Blake had slept with Alexis in Singapore, you can be sure something of the essence had been broken, even if the show developed from it. Although, I often fantasies about THAT TALK between Krystle and Blake, after the fidelity bond is broken and they have to face the other. What would Blake/Krystle say and how would the other one react? I have this image in my head of Krystle being at La Mirage, sitting on the bed and dreading every minute of what will happen next when Blake knocks on the door and there is this long and painful silence between them and Krystle just knows, and everything is said with looks and slow silence. And then Blake starts talking...I wonder if Krystle would have been able to forgive him?

Blake, throughout the show, never really took an interest in Alexis on a personal level. He wasn't mean, he just didn't care enough to go on fighting with Alexis. It was Alexis who brought the fights to his door, not the other way around, and she did so by mask her lingering feelings for him in business brawls. I think Blake's true nature in this culminated in A Love Remembered, as he didn't feel the need to step on Alexis' feelings, feelings he knew truly was there, but didn't want to encourage. Not to forget that he really and deeply loved Krystle and always maintained a cool and somewhat cold position to other women (Lady Ashley aside, but it's hard to know how much of that was due to his thoughts about Daniel Reece and Krystle, the jealousy and what he though Krystle felt for Daniel).

For me it is obvious that the story of Blake, Krystle and Alexis was always the plotline of every season. When Krystina is sick and Dominique makes a point of saying that Krystina is the only child Krystle is ever going to have and she wonders if B&K:s marriage could survive the loss of a child. These comments and interest from the other characters were an ongoing theme all through the show. Even reporters (the court house drama between Blake and Steven about Danny) wanted to meddle in B&K:s relationship. The creators and the writers really built something special with Blake, Krystle and later Alexis, progressing into one of the best non-sexual threesomes in TV-history ever. The dynamic was perfect among the three.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    I think she could. After all, Blake would have had amnesia when he slept with Alexis, he thought they were still happily married. He had no memory of Krystle; she didn't even exist to him at the time. Krystle still would have been hurt and angry, but she'd have more resentment towards Alexis for taking advantage of Blake.

But I think what would worry Krystle more, would be the thought that Blake might have fallen back in love with Alexis. That would hurt more, and be harder to forgive. Especially after what Alexis did to B&K's first child.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +400
    #07 was just so bad it, literally, killed the show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Yes, you're right about the amnesia, if Blake had slept with Alexis then, Krystle probably would have forgiven him. And the big question would be how Blake felt about Alexis from then on.

But I meant more in general. What if Blake had slept with Ashley or with Tracy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,355
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    What would have been even more suspenseful is Blake forgetting all that happened when he was amnesiac. I mean, did he do it with Alexis...or not? Then Alexis would´ve had the key to destroy Blake's marriage...or not. Also, Krystle giving a damn about what might´ve happened between hub and Alexis would´ve given a much more adult, smart and appealing vision of Krystle...but that was never going to happen on "Dynasty". I guess.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,620
    I'm definitely for Alexis taunting Krystle about the possibility of a Singapore affair -- that, and Blake's renewed affability with his ex-wife, causes Krystle to start nipping at the bottle.

Later, she runs into Adam at a bar.

I doubt they could get Joan to do it, but I'd like Alexis to announce to Blake (she's aware Krystle is within earshot) shortly before the end of the season that she's pregnant by him -- Alexis is still in her 40s, barely, by 1987. Then, after the avalanche cliffhanger, she claims she'd lost the baby during the snowy apocalypse.

Blake, Krystle -- and the viewer -- will never be quite sure it was a lie.

"Blake, Blake, my uterus is exploding! Our baby's dead --- our baby's dead...!"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,188
    You doubt that they could convince Joan to make sure everyone believed she was still in the baby-making range?

Ok...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1