Dynasty: Season 7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Oct 1, 2016.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    OK, so I am up to episode 10, "The Letter." I'll post which episode I'm on from now on, so that way we can avoid discussion on anything after it. If you're unsure whether something you want to discuss has happened yet or not, then please err on the side of caution.

Emily's death was ridiculous, and so were Clay and Sammy Jo's reactions. On the one hand, Emily looked like she simply decided to lie down on the street (no messy hair, ruined makeup, blood, a lost earring, something). She didn't even speak differently, despite claims of being unable to breathe. Then SJ and Clay just stood there, emotionless, as the news report went on and on. Just really bad.

Alexis, on the other hand, continues to be hilarious: "What?!" says a shocked Adam when he learns Amanda went back to Michael despite finding out the truth. "It's called sex, Adam!" Perfect, dry delivery by Collins on that. And Alexis munching down on the pickle. LOL

Nothing about Dominique tracks. Last episode, she's gone away to be with Jackie. Now she's back, with no indication of the plight she's in, doing the same damn scene she's done with every damn suitor she's ever had yet one more time. But, hey, at least we saw Nick Kimball again!

I did not expect Michael to flirt with Alexis.

Dex/Michael know/hate each other. How random.

Blake changes his mind and wants to use Emily's letter because ... Michael asked to be partners. How overdramatic of him!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +982
    One thing the writers were consistent about was Adam caring about Amanda as a sister. Too bad Cellini played her as a monkey.
    On the other hand, I remember laughing so much when Alexis told Cassie to stay because they started having a relationship like real sisters--one of whom put the other behind bars for a crime she did not commit. Some things remained laughingly inconsistent.

I think killing Emily was a waste. They turned the Fallmonts from a new potentially center stage family to a circus with a senator who turned to a drunk in the blink of an eye. Considering the other senator from Colorado was Mcvane, one wonders about the choices Colorado voters make. Bart disappeared into thin air and Clay was just around looking pretty (however, I don't remember any important bare-chested scenes--another waste of natural talent by the brass).

• Like Like x 5
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    It's hilarious! She runs into the car then... dies. Literally. You'd expect a scene like that to have more impact (compare it to Sydney's deathly wedding on Melrose Place or Bobby's "death" on Dallas), but nope! She just dies. In a way that's so later-era Dynasty. No budget for dramatics here!

She's an unimportant side-character after all.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    It's almost like Emily was supposed to be more important than she was--along with the entire Fallmont clan--but then they just sort of gave up on them. Which, again, is very DYNASTY.:confused:

• Like Like x 7
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    It's like they were prepping the desperate-for-medication Fallmonts for a spin-off -- a spin-off more meager and pallid than THE COLBYS (which actually wasn't at all bad, but got cancelled anyway).

But some brilliant ABC executive said, "Phukc, no!" and that was that.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    And revived it later with Greg Sumner and Maggie Gioberti, only to strangle it in the crib.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112081/

• Like Like x 3
  7. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    It sounds like most of the Fallmonts were affected by the change between seasons. All the potential they had suddenly turned to nothingness. Then again, that would have likely happened anyway. It's a shame because even her 'death' scene was all about setting up the plot for Blake.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    There was apparently another, this time more pointless, rewriting of the plots mid-season during S7. This was necessary for Season 6, but the original Season 7 ideas read on paper as a wee bit better than what they actually wound up doing.

I wish they'd done the planned avalanche cliffhanger for the end of Season 7, and let all the Fallmonts die then. Well, all except Emma Samms (who I've decided was a Fallmont) and Fox (once known as "Bart" but cast with a much better dude) and Judith Anderson (who I've decided was the Queen Mother of Moldavia, a Colby by marriage and a Fallmont, and the only soap mother greater in her corrupt scope of powers and contacts and mysterious backstory than Jacqueline Perrault).

But perhaps all that's in my head.

Jason Colby and his aunt discuss policy:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +982
    Indeed it is. I thought they had potential, other than Buck who was God-awful. However the more insipid Emily became with every single episode, the more I could not see how Ben could ever have been interested in her.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    And that horrible Spelling flat lighting which made Pat Crowley look so doughy and pale. She was nearing sixty and aged very well, and looked gorgeous only a year or two earlier on FALCON CREST. Yet she looked like crap on DYNASTY, due to no fault of her own. But Linda and Joan were being photographed increasingly poorly as well by this point.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,135
    And look at what they did to poor Katharine Ross on THE COLBYS. I saw her in "Secrets of a Mother and Daughter", a TV film made only 3 years prior, and she looked not only gorgeous, but also young (well, she looked like a young 40-year-old, but still) and fashionable. I mean... what was wrong with this company, being so intent on making beautiful women look older and uglier than they really were?

• Like Like x 3
  12. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    I think it was @Matthew Blaisdel who once comparded the Dynasty writers to children who'll get shiny new toys, only to throw them away in a temper tantrum :D

• Like Like x 5
  13. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +1,911
    Was it? Must have been in the deceased forum then..

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,135
    I know @Alexis compared them to his nieces playing with their Barbie dolls at some point (that too was probably on the deceased forum). :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +982
    Sounds like he was reading their tiny minds. Though I am not sure if that was the writers or the various echelons of producers Dynasty had. Didn't they start re-branding a lot of the writers as producers at some point?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Even if you hate season 7, you got to love Alexis living in the mansion and trying to convert the staff into house spies!:p And all that barging in from Blake, makes you wonder what went through the security peoples heads. Alexis in her prime would have hired a new crew every week.

What do you even do in a big house like that after getting it by a hostile takeover? Myself would feel lonely and kind of stupid.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    It's all just badly done, though. Just incompetent.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +982
    True--In the beginning it looked like they would do the story justice, with Alexis having flashbacks of their time together and her banishment from Blake's Eden. But they quickly abandoned all that, as well as the ramifications of the new situation for the children as discussed elsewhere in the thread.

The real tragedy of Dynasty, for the show and for its viewers, was that Dynasty writers and producers were not themselves fans of the show.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    Exactly.

Technically, there's a lot in season seven that *could* be good and even fantastic, but they just butcher it like they always do. They even got some (for that time) sought-for talent in the later half, yet the writing is so insipid that they ruined said actors chance at proper stardom. I mean, even from the start they screwed it up by not paying Catherine Oxenberg a very modest raise.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    And that really is it, too. On DALLAS, you knew the brass were interested in their characters, even if the show made the occasional error, and some periods were more inspired than others.

KNOTS' staff were obviously interested in their characters.

Even FALCON CREST, despite slipping into campy silliness, still seemed to want to tell us something about these people who populated the Tuscany Valley.

But DYNASTY? You can just feel after a couple of years that the writer-producers are just turning out stories and episodes to fulfill their contract with ABC. They seem to be belabored by their task at all times -- their fighting against nature constantly just making that task harder for them (and for the viewer). There are quotes from the staff about how they were having to slave over the writers table in order to come up with ideas for Season 8 and, clearly, they weren't compelled to do so except for the financial renumeration involved with doing so.

There is no sense that the bosses had any curioisty or enthusiasm about this Camelot they had created or set the foundation for at the show's outset. Only for the "success" it afforded them.

Just amazing.

"Jesus, that Esther won't even pick up the phone...!"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2