Dynasty: Season 7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Oct 1, 2016.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    I watched The Ball last night. Some decent stuff: Krystle and Alexis in a scene together. While not terrifically written, it is shot as mostly the two actresses in frame together, which is a terrific idea. Even after all these years, when you have Evans and Collins in a scene together, the chemistry explodes off the screen. Also, some fun playful stuff between Alexis and Dex, even if her calling her "lover" every two seconds becomes annoying.

I am not sure where they're going with Sammy Jo's false pregnancy and don't care about Adam and Dana loving each other.

The REALLY bad stuff: Blake running in and out of rooms for the entire episode, yelling "Dammit!" to people and getting them to do what he wants just with the power of his self-righteousness. Also, the worst of the worst, Steven freaking out at a man flirting with him (how DARE he!) and angry that he did it "in my family's home!". What the ever-loving f.uck???

Finally, Blake forcing Alexis to sign everything back to him was great fun, even if he managed it too easily, and not much was done with Alexis' takeover. I genuinely liked Blake for the first time in ages when he told Alexis to sleep in the master bedroom for tonight because he'd disinfect it the next day. Catty! Alexis deserves this if only for that hideous hairdo. LOL at everyone dressed in black and white and Alexis sashaying around in red.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    Yeah, at this point it doesn't even look like Adam and Dana cared

I think he was upset because he was clearly wearing his "straight" T-shirt, so the other guy should have known it was his straight day (Mondays and Thursdays).

Nothing was done with her takeover, and especially her takeover of the house. What should have been the main focus of the season with many repercussions ended up being a quick gimmick. Eileen Pollock said in an interview that she and her husband were horrified with the Shapiros' plan to bring in Blake's first wife for just 6 episodes, because "you learn from many years writing in the genre that you never create a core character just for a quick in-and-out." Yet such a tectonic shift as Alexis taking over DC and the mansion ended up being a quick in-and-out after all.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    Oh, the straight shirt! Of course. Rude gay who can't read the signs.:lmao:

They clearly had no idea what to do with the takeover or any energy to make it stick/worthy of a season-long arc. A shame.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,490
    One poster here observed that it was almost as if the writers had no idea what they were doing.

And when Paulsen was offered the job of running Season 9 by the Shapiros (who later claimed "the show was taken away from us") Paulsen said to them that he couldn't tell what (the Pollocks) were doing with the narrative, and the Shapiros responded by saying, essentially, "neither do we."

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    How can something be taken from you when you have abandoned it to die?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,489
    Could have been so effective if they had given that line to Adam, an opportunity to put his brother down en plein public, without directly confronting his homosexual brother.

Maybe that is what went wrong with Dynasty: the scripts were good, but a not-so-clever person messed them up.

Watching Claudia arranging flowers in a neurotic-therapeutic way: beautiful, very in-character. But no, they told Linda Evans to do it.
    It's a giant jigsaw puzzle and it's going to take us years to find out which line or action belongs to which character! OMG!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    It think you could be onto something - I mean, we know they just gave Krystle Alexis' scenes when Joan Collins refused to turn up for the season six premiere, who knows if they did that sort of thing on a regular basis? Just to keep the cast on their toes by letting them know how replaceable they were.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    So, let me get this straight: In the previous episode, Steven freaked out and caused a scene because a man dared flirt with him.

This episode, the very creepy Claire doesn't just flirt with him -- she undresses him, herself, and gets in bed with him but, when Steven wakes up, he calmly asserts he's gay (which he seemed terribly embarrassed about last episode) and he does not freak out that his son's teacher took her clothes off and climbed into bed with him!!!! At least his abs look nice.

I cannot with the Alexis randomness here: She's suddenly buying The Carlton, and suddenly insulting Dominique's singing so the writers can 'set up' (if you can call spending 30 seconds 'setting up') a stupid catfight between them. And then the SUPER random Mark stuff. At least those mysterious phone calls of Ben's are finally addressed....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,631
    :lol: Steven's absurd responses to these 2 situations are of course quite logical in a closeted or repressed homosexual who got brainwashed by the hetero-centric 20th century society into thinking there was something wrong with his sexuality and thus feels constant need to prove himself as a "decent" member of such society to everyone including himself. Men? Eeew, that's disgusting. Women? Jump in there, what are you waiting for, are you a f**?

And Jack Coleman, bless his reluctant heart, sure knows how to convey awkwardness / guilt about being one's true self. Especially when he claims otherwise.

Which of course has nothing to do with Al Corley's excellent earlier incarnation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    Except Steven had already figured out who he was in season 2 and then again in season 5. But, as Blake Carrington famously said, "who remembers yesterday?"

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,631
    With a father like Blake - and even mother like Alexis, not exactly a champion of gay rights - I can definitely see the guilt/shame continuing to linger within, even when everyone claims they're OK with it, including Steven himself. Especially when you have a visibly uncomfortable Coleman playing him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    This is adding too many smarts to the show. More likely they thought heterosexuality = prefarable. Sorry but that's just how it works.

13. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,631
    I wasn't talking about what they thought, since I wasn't there and can't know that definitively, but how those scenes came across to me and why I thought they worked.

14. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    We all add our own things to scenes. :frustrated:

15. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,631
    That's how I watch every show, using my own perception. And I don't even have to bang my head while doing it. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    I always bang my head. It's surprising that I haven't got a concussion to be honest.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    All very informative here. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I always come back to season 7...

I love it. The beautiful (and gut wrenching) episodes of A Love Remembered, and when B&K, once again - The love that lives forever!

The character of Krystle forced the character of Blake to change. He was such a dick that Krystle would never have stood for that kind of treatment if in fact that was the real Blake Carrington. The normal and loving side he did also show in season 1 and 2 simply won. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The Dynasty mind wanders...
    Not necessarily about season 7.

-Why did Steven have a big picture of Luke in his drawer at the office? Neatly lying on top and visible as soon as the drawer is opened. I wonder what he did with it working late nights, and Bart wasn't peaking over his shoulder.

-If the Daniel Reece plane hadn't crashed, what would Blake and he been talking about the rest of the trip? He was going to Portland.

Blake: So, this is a nice plane, I really like the leather seats, it gives me ideas. What did you pay for it?
    Daniel: Why? So you could buy one? If you're lucky, I sell you mine.
    Blake: No way. Or is the hot pilot included? By the way, I told you Krystle is mine, didn't I? *angry stare*
    Daniel: Ffs, take it easy, Blake. The pilot IS included!
    Blake: My lawyers will contact you. How long is this flight, anyway?
    Daniel: Oh, we got about two hours left. Do you want to go over the Krystle thing again?
    Blake: I rather not, as long as you know she's mine. *angry stare*
    Daniel: I have some chill pills under the seat. Want one?
    Blake: No thank you, I'm busy admiring the interior. Can't you see that?!
    Daniel: Oh boy.

-Adam and Dana was so boring as a couple. That's one of the reasons I love B&K, everybody else treated their latest relationship as the love of their lives, to be forgotten in an instant when it was over. So slutty and unrealistic. Blake and Krystle had to fight and make an effort to be together. A totally unique thing in soaps.

-I'm still upset about Nick and Fallon. So right for each other and sexy together. Nick was a true Dynasty character and should have stayed on at least for one more season.

-In the Reunion, both Blake and Krystle forgot that they were no longer married. Blake's favorite phrase: My wife this and my wife that, was therefore very illegal in soap-language.

:D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +203
    - For me it looks like S8 tried to re-create/remember some moments of the good succesful past by showing old scenes from S3.