Dynasty Season 8 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Sep 3, 2018.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    I'm halfway through the last of DYNASTY's bad seasons... I intended to start a thread much sooner, but I've been binging, and here we are!

As always, please NO SPOILERS at all. I also don't know what the cliffhanger for this season is, so I'm hoping it's a good one.

We start with some really crap new opening credits.

Matthew's revenge did not leave the bad taste in my mouth I thought it would. As it happens when the show has a Very Important Story to tell, the siege focused them sharply. I think it's fascinating that the same actor, gone for 6 seasons, came back and the show just expected people to know and recognize. The story wasn't dragged, had some interesting moments (like the first episode ending of Blake entering the mansion and finding no one there... that was quite creepy, in a very good way) and we got some fun action.

Oh, it's as stupid as ever: Matthew's diary? Really? The Matthew from season 1 would go home and write in his diary more soppily than Lindsay "I cry for a living" Blaisdel? Not to mention that 'language' Matthew and his friends were talking, or the truly random Jeannette/Gerard love story that was introduced in the second episode and, so far, on episode 12, it's like it never happened....

How awkward for the show to set up the gubernatorial race via... Matthew of all people. "I heard a rumor" Really, Matthew? You heard a rumor? While you were in the jungle, grabbing your forehead and moaning, you heard a rumor? The show acted like this possibility had been introduced already and it's laying it on a little thick.

Dex getting shot was a pleasant surprise. The best thing about the siege is Steven stabbing Matthew to death. I swear, it only took 6 years, but Coleman finally gave a gripping reaction and earned his episode-ending freezeframe.

Of course, the show then takes exactly one episode to mine this very juicy development for Steven's character and drops it.

I have no words to describe how badly they messed up Fallon's abduction story. What promised (on THE COLBYS) to be a great breakdown story was taken, made literal, and then they forced Jeff and Fallon to argue over it for, like, 10 painful episodes. I mean, over two whole months!! True, I am seeing hints of the old, stronger Fallon here, and John James' reaction to Fallon's story was priceless!!1!!, but overall, what a waste. I especially love that the advanced aliens use plastic syringes for their experiments just like us!

I just cannot believe they chose to disintegrate Fallon's marriage over her UFO claims. It could have actually been an interesting story, with much better writing, but that's DYNASTY's usual.

And, then, they oh-so-subtly made it all about Fallon needing to grow and move on and the UFO has been completely forgotten since.

The story has really highlighted what an ass Jeff is, too. Probably more than ever before. "Is that what took so long?" he asks when Fallon shows him her Faire dress. Wow. I wonder if James ever realized what an asshole he was playing, because I see complete confidence in his performances.

Not much to say about Adam and Dana's surrogacy storyline. I can see the disaster approaching. I'm glad a lot of it is rooted in Adam's character, and it's cool that we keep seeing Dr. Edwards after all these years.

Perhaps the most annoying aspect of the season is Leslie, who went from an OK addition to being a shrew to morphing into an Alexis clone and f.ucking everything in sight. Granted, as a character development, it's very good, but the actress disappoints greatly. She cannot carry any of it, and has no charisma to help her through. Still, I like that she and Jeff had a one-night stand, and that she jumped on Sean's bone(s).

Speaking of Sean... well, what is there to say. I find him attractive, but that accent. So confusing. I hate that Alexis turned so blind over him to facilitate their getting married. Although I'm intrigued by his revenge plot and him turning out to be Joseph's son and Kirby's brother (really?), the show once more doesn't know what it's doing. First they hint that his sights are set on Blake, then he switches and wants to hurt Alexis.

Dex (who hilariously was shot in the back but then needed a cane after being released from the hospital) briefly gets to sleep with Leslie (that's three men Leslie has bedded in less than half a season!) and then has nothing to do, except a nice friendship with Fallon and going off to Africa to play homoerotic scenes with the butler from THE NANNY.

Krystle finally has a little more to do than cry and pray to Blake. Her acting has even improved. In fact, I'd say everyone is a little more relaxed.

Perhaps the most surprising thing of all is that Steven's next storyline is... running a football team. How macho! (That's a key word, mind). I don't know how interested I am in that, but ironically, now that he's dealing with such a manly thing, Steven finally comes alive, and the writing allows him more agency. I also really liked the addition of Josh Harris and thought the whole story was as good a story as DYNASTY was capable of telling at this point. His death was extremely unexpected. I was briefly angered at them squandering him, but quickly came to see it as a really great, shocking development. It also allowed for some fantastic performances from Heather Locklear, first on the floor as she held an unconscious Josh, then when she was having that small breakdown with Jeff (which made me tear up!).

The sad thing is, that was it for Steven. Sammy Jo is clearly being moved on to Jeff, but the message for Steven is clear. They actually bring back Chris Deegan, not to allow Steven to finally have a real boyfriend story, but to make it very clear that no gay shit is going to occur. Wow, I hope I'm wrong about that.

The gubernatorial race is interesting. For the first time in a long time, DYNASTY has a central plot. Instant focus, in other words. There's much more logic and smartness in the plotting than we've seen in a while. It moves at a brisk pace. (Possibly the result of the season having 5-7 less episodes than usual, which turns out in its favor). It's actually decent, if one ignores Blake would never even be a candidate, much less win, or the fact that the show keeps coming up with random things to fill the plot and time (a return to Cora's brothel... welcomed but stupid). I also think it built up very nicely to Alexis' decision to run. You knew it was going to happen, but they didn't make it instant, so it was very exciting when she finally made the announcement.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    Except for me, it felt like the show defensively apologizing for Season 1 being so good.
    Especially by mid-season, the show relaxes -- which I've always assumed was the result of the producers' admitted lack of interest in their spiraling show by this point. The negligence actually helped, so perverse were the production staff. The Static Acting Directive, in place since S3, is still there enough to run off Leann Hunley, has nevertheless been lessened. Along with the music score, which is also mercifully pulled back.

Which is why I hate S8 much less than Season 7 -- although the usual sense of being suffocated (as @Alexis has phrased it about the show) remains largely unchanged.

I always thought S8 could have been marvelously dark...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I don't think he ever did. I still remember an interview with James when he was much older, and he was talking about how, "Jeff was always a nice boy."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    You mean the new way of showing the major players, where instead of the inset of any one player and his/her name superimposed over it against a backdrop of something to do w/the wealth of Dynasty, the background now becomes another shot of that cast member's character in action, where each credit has two pictures?

5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    But poorly done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    And all that sport, ugh. Blake playing tennis, Sammy Jo swimming/diving, Steven riding (notice that shocking look of that poor horse when the frame freezes :eek:), Adam in the gym. And i think more than half of the episodes of S8 start with the cast doing some kind of sports. S8 really is the sportive season.
    It's like they were shouting at the audience "stop watching TV, get your fat asses up from that couch and do sports, otherwise you'll be dead VERY soon!" :lol:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    Yes, it was done to show the Carringtons being real people and doing normal things.....
    :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Yeah, but if i wanted to see THAT, i'd just go out or meet with friends. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    It was all part of their 'the-ratings-must-be-dropping-because-the-characters-can't-be-related-to-by-the-audience' phase(s).

And the new credits reflected that. Plus, they're done badly. Of course.

As some of the cast said: the producers didn't know what they wanted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    And I'd add the Pasadena mansion exterior making its first appearance since late season 4 as one of the few surprises of season 8. In fact there's quite a bit of shooting on location towards the end of season 8.

And it's not like we hadn't seen them play sports or ride horses before. But season 8 does it in such a painfully forced manner.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yes, that's the one.

Indeed.

The rise in sports is just... bizarre. Not to mention how most of the scenes freeze with the actors making the worst faces. I'll have to look out for the horse.

A lot of episodes in the first half have certainly started with Krystle and Blake either in the gym or jogging. It was quite a shock the first time they did it. And I keep worrying Forsythe will keel over!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    I said it then: the show was produced by puerile morons who could only cast well. It's like a tense, badly run brothel.

13. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    I've seen up to episode 14, "Images".

I keep howling with laughter because the issue of support from the Carrington children has come up in a huge way (as it was bound to in a campaign) and everyone (EVERYONE) keeps saying there are three Carrington children. Amanda has been completely erased. I just can't. At least they could write in a quick moment: "Oh, Amanda wishes you luck, Blake, doesn't care to return to help." I mean, that'd be such a pouty Catherine Oxenberg thing to do.

Jeff is upping his asshole dosage: He learns Fallon is going on a business trip and tells her the trip clearly is taking precedence over her being a good mother. This is not entirely surprising: When Jeff said earlier in the season he wants his wife to be there solely for him, to satisfy him and his needs, I knew what was up. But it seems like the show is setting up a custody dispute and I don't know how I feel about it. Bet he'll bring up the UFO thing then!

The stuff with Fallon getting drunk in Natumbe and belly dancing was a lot of fun. Samms is finally getting the chance to show she can act!

Obviously, the most exciting part is that Krystle is trying to prove... something about Alexis and Cecil. I can't recall the last time we saw Krystle this determined and alive. That interview! Calling Alexis' newspaper "that rag" on live TV, or bringing up that Alexis took over ColbyCo "on the death of the second of your four husbands". My jaw dropped. The best scene of the season so far came soon after, when Alexis confronted her back stage and Krystle finally slapped the hell out of her. God, what chemistry. At least the show is still getting this right by making sure the two actresses are in frame together as much as possible when they share scenes. And not to mention Krystle finally told Blake no. I will try not to have high hopes for this story, but so far I'm loving Krystle's 'campaign'.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,740
    I hate season 8. More so than season 7.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Yes. And when Heather Locklears frame freezes while diving, she's got helmet hair! :Clol:

We'll see. Wait until she's wearing a red leather suit. :D
    I like Fallon this season, she has some really fun scenes.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Yes. They finally figured out how to write for her again. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    I've seen up to "The Warning".

Some really good stuff with Alexis pulling off a MODELS, INC before there was MODELS, INC and taking the bullet meant for Blake. Of course, there is no way Sean would have gotten away with it from where he was (nobody looked up?), so the show remains as stupid as ever, but, dramatically speaking, this was a great twist, and nice way to stop Krystle from exposing her doubts about the Cecil situation.

I thought it was very nice of them to use the bracelet Alexis gave Leslie a while ago as a way for her to finally realize what Sean's been up to (or into). Alexis' 'warning' to Leslie while taking a bubble bath was a great scene, and I like how Sean is slowly unraveling, delivering his own warning to Leslie.

Can someone explain to me why Adam, present for the shooting, is nowhere to be seen in the next episode, which picks up right where we left off? His mother's shooting is an utterly bizarre time for him to take the week off.

They're building up to Jeff and Sammy Jo nicely, but I'm not seeing much chemistry so far....

• Like Like x 2
  18. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Especially considering that they could've easily worked the Carrington children easily into the main storyline by having a divide between them about which parent they support. It could've made for some interesting side material at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Finished the season.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I saw a show with slightly better performances, actual plots with beginning, middle, and end, more logic, and good pace. It helps that I binged it, but I thought it was the most alive it's been in a long time and probably better than Season 7.

I am of two minds about both Alexis and Blake losing the election. On one hand, it feels slightly anti-climactic after the entire season was based on this. But I thought it was also hilarious and realistic (although, surprise surprise, they didn't build up to it quite properly). And who wants to deal with either one of them having governor storylines?

Alexis was really fun again (minus her blinders about Sean). I really laughed when she said Jesse "was underpaid, of course, but, then again, that's the story of his life!" Or, when she yelled at Leslie: "I don't care what you need, Leslie. You're a WHORE!"

The Leslie story was one of my favorites. Her arc this season was fantastic, but the casting severely let it down, to the point that I didn't care if Sean was beating the life out of her.

I agree we saw the return of Fallon (mostly) to form. Especially in the last 2 or 3 episodes, the change was obvious. Loved her going to Jeff's to admonish him (he proposed to Sammy Jo after being with her 2 episodes...) and ending up sleeping with him. That was something right out of Season 2.

Krystle started having headaches again. I guess the second mysterious headaches storyline will stick this time. I thought it was an excellent cliffhanger (if too reminiscent of Season 4's) to have Krystle disappear and Blake sigh, "I thought we had more time." I got goosebumps with that, for the first time in a long time.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    Thanks for revisiting the season.

There were lots of things I enjoyed in S8, especially after the dreadful 7B. It is not as good as DYNASTY's better seasons (S1,S2,S3, 6B,S9) but I think this, S5, and 7A are average seasons--with S4, 6A, and 7B being horrendous.

I also thought Samms was growing nicely into the role of Fallon in S8. What bothered me the most is that the "new moguls/passing the baton" arc of the younger generation had so much potential but the writers could not really explore it. And of course it was all undone in a single stroke by Paulsen, although at least he had a good reason to do it.

The election storyline was so laughable. In its heyday, DYNASTY knew Alexis and Blake were the people who bought politicians off, not become the product themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1