Dynasty: Seasons 7 thru 9

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by ClassyCo, Oct 17, 2017.

1. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I have one episode of season 7 left and if was a chore to get through. I don't recall it being this bad before. I couldn't stop falling asleep during the final episodes so I've spent about two weeks trying to get through them. Absolutely nothing works. There isn't one character I enjoy right now. I know season 8 can't be this bad so I'm going to try to power through it so I can enjoy season nine again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Don't count on it. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,621
    A clever poster here once noted the pattern that these shows tend to reach their creative peaks by Years 5 and 6, go into a bit of a depressed slump for Year 7, then kind of rebound creatively, however briefly, for Year 9.

And it's really true! (Although if you go by the DVD count, you'd have to adjust DALLAS, because of the miniseries/Season 1 labeling conflict, to Season 6 and 7 being the creative peak, slumping for Season 8, and then rebounding for Season 10 briefly).

[​IMG]

Not that I'm a fan of Season 9 of FALCON CREST, but it did certainly shift into something new and energized even though it was too much like a different program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    Maybe it's not so unusual to have a less successful season (or two). It's not like every album/novel by a popular artist/author becomes a best seller.

My least favourites of all soap seasons (in order of un-preference)
    1. Knots Landing S12 (the last episodes were good, and it had one of the better season finales - but overall, shockingly bad)
    2. Falcon Crest S9 (Michael Sharpe was sex-on-legs and Genele an interesting vixen, but that wasn't enough to enjoy it)
    3. Dynasty S8 (depressing drab)

I'm sure there's a dishonourable mention for the last Dallas seasons, but I don't remember them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,621
    Hmmm.... Gregory Harrison just never did squat for me. So to speak.

6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    DALLAS certainly did peak around seasons 3 thru 7, season 8 and parts of 9 were a slump but still good, especially season 9, then despite my dislike of the dream resolution season 10 did regain a massive creative boost equal to that of seasons 1-7 (DVD count)

Dynasty should've peaked in seasons five and six but it didn't, it was mess if anything one could say that it peaked in season 2, a rocky season 3 and a slight peak again in season 4, except season 4 somehow missed the mark 40 % of the time, by season 7 & 8 I felt that the writers and actors gave up, then we have season 9......... :-D

7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,621
    DYNASTY had such creative perversity guiding it from S3 thru S8, that it registers lower in its S5 and S6 period -- and certainly in its S7 dumpster era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    To be fair, when I watched it in its first run (granted, as a teenager), DYNASTY had me hooked in seasons 3 and 4. It was in season 5 and especially season 6A where the WTFs kept multiplying. For me despite the different writing teams, seasons 5 and 6A suffer from the same overall problem: new out of the blue characters take up all the screen time and the most irritating thing is they are transient anyway. Daniel, Nicole, Lady Ashley, prince Michael and Ghoul Galen, Rita and Joel...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    I think part of the reason as to why I can forgive season 4 (and to an extent season 3) is because s4 was really the last season that felt like it really was DYNASTY.

It had a mostly strong cast, Alexis was at her finest, Krystle was still Krystle, good storylines most of the time, all in all a very watchable season if you can ignore the flaws which in this season I can because the flaws weren't as obvious at this point.

Season 4 is like a parallel universe version of season 2 or at least its darker twin sister,
    While season 2 had a light, airy, roaring 20s vibe to it, season 4 in contrast was dark, gothic in parts and came off like a film noir from the 40s.

Season 6 had a great cast in parts, probably superior to season 4's cast if you include the concurrent The Colby's, but something was majorly off in season 6, Alexis became a shrill parody of herself, Krystle Grant Jennings Carrington was put into a corner (before that an attic) and morphed into the equally shrill and angst ridden Mrs Blake Carrington II, the storylines were off the mark and the camp had firmly replaced the light and gothic elements of DYNASTY at this stage, and it only got more lethargic gradually thru seasons 7 & 8.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    I once said that season 4 was the worst, but now I've read your comment I think it has more to do with the fact that it was the last of old-skool Dynasty, the end of the first part of the eighties. And I think that last part should have been better.
    And, coincidence coincidence, I feel the same about Falcon Crest Season 4. It becomes clear that the best part is gone, but it still echoes some of that goodness, which makes it just enjoyable enough.
    Losing Fallon was a big blow, and the way they dealt with it was awful. Fallon's funeral (which could have been brilliant) has to be one of the worst Dynasty scenes ever.
    And then we got Amanda. Oh boy.
    I really liked season 6, especially after the Moldavia stuff was sorted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,621
    But again, that sounds like what I'd like Season 4 to be, what it wanted to be. But I didn't nearly as much of that as you did.

I do agree, though, that Alexis was at her finest. Joan played it with a cool, smoky sense of self-assurance. Which is very important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    I liked Amanda a lot (though I could never suspend my disbelief about her back story). I just wish they had worked more on making her a separate entity and not a Fallon replacement. I didn't like anything to do with Moldavia, even though the guy playing Michael was easy on the eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    I'm only a handful of episodes into Season 7 right now. It seems, to me, that this is the same ole Dynasty that I got hooked on some years back.

I have a question: Are we sometimes too hard on critiquing this show? Should we really expect something from a show that has set its "tone" and we more or less know it isn't going to deliver?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,621
    Maybe for you. Not for some of us.

There is simply no comparison between mucky Season 7 and, say, Season 2. Except that Season 7 seems to want to be a revisited version of Season 2, but the producers can't pull anything off now.

It set an earlier tone, too, and then stopped delivering when it shifted to a muddled, discombobulated tone. In spades. We can talk around it, or pretend it didn't egregiously lose its way. And some do.

I don't think we're hard at all on Seasons 1, 2 and 9 because the narrative and the execution really worked. But the problems that began creeping in during Season 3 and then just accelerated thru Season 8, made for a terribly frustrating show that wasn't working any more and seemed to, neurotically, have no idea how to work any more.

I don't think we've been too harsh about that. It's what happened.

I've been rewatching some Season 9 episodes over the last couple of days, and despite Linda's exit and Joan not always being there, there's suddenly air in the show. It's suddenly breathing again now that Paulsen has taken it over. Even the shadows suddenly seem real and, as such, so does the past ... and DYNASTY hadn't been able to do that in four or five years.

It's kind of amazing, actually. By Season 7 and 8, DYNASTY had been a corpse, preceded by several years of bad camp pantomime. By Season 9, it was too late to save it from cancellation, but Season 9 was so alive and so vivid, that it almost legitimizes the messed up middle years retroactively by providing, along with S1 and S2, a kind of bookends context for what lay in between.

That's why, for me, Season 9 is very, very important.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1