Dynasty: The Reunion, Who was invited or considered?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by chrisjc, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,672
    She was not very self-promoting, and she wanted to be a good colleague. She was approached by the end of season 8--that is not a secret. I did not know about the reunion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    That makes me feel bad for Samms. I mean it was neither actresses fault. It was the writers and producers who fucked up on two occasions. Well every time really! PSM wanted to leave as she thought the scripts were going down the crapper and it wasn't the show she signed up for. They were also weakening her character. So she leaves then they bring in Samms and write her as 100 times the doormat that PSM was in season 4.

Then they want PSM back because Samms isn't working for them. Well... He's a thought. And I am pulling this out of nowhere. Just a thought? Why don't you write :censer: better scrips and make Fallon who she was meant to be? Why don't you give Samms something, ANYTHING to work with?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I agree. And the sad part is that it sounds very Nu Dynasty to me :
    Bad writing and then blame (and fire) the actors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +442
    - Never heared that ...

- Was she really asked? Paulsen said he thinked about asking her comming back but then he talked with Emma and liked her so she stayed and they changed Fallon in the scripts not in person ...

5. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,672
    I think that story/development happened after Pamela Sue Martin turned them down. At that point Paulsen was cutting weekly budgets (more famously, Collins' appearances) to bring in some new characters like Tanner and Virginia and, per him, in order to spend more on outside shootings. Which of course does not explain that bizarre studio set of supposedly being outside the mansion , but that is neither here nor there. So with the show no longer able to afford luring talent in with money, I doubt there was any real chance she would come back. I mean, during season 5 they offered her significant perks and money and that did not work when the show was #1, why would she return when it was just being moved to the worst slot on the schedule?

Samms did work well for the last two seasons, and Paulsen brought a lot of humour back to the show, which is something the character was known for but had completely lost by season 4 even with PSM around. Samms' Fallon was written and directed flat-out lousy by the COLBYS honchos, and together with her accent she was rejected by audiences from 1985-1987, but I actually think on the whole she was a much better recast than Coleman, who never really captured anything of Steven's essence and remained wooden throughout (only losing his wood in having to play gay). In seasons 8 and 9 I did not miss PSM and I liked Samms a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    The thing about The Colbys though is that Huson and Bast were given these original Dynasty characters of Jeff and Fallon and were given these characters in the shape they left Dynasty. They didn't make Fallon into that character. That was already established on Dynasty. The Shapiros and the Pollocks were initially involved in the set up of The Colbys and they had established who Fallon and Jeff were. When you watch The Colbys you can tell that Huson and Bast either weren't that interested in the Fallon character or didn't know much else to do with her except have her be in the middle of the Jeff and Miles love triangle.
    She becomes a submissive, reactive character. Much like Krystle becomes on Dynasty after a while. She just reacts to what other characters do. She is there to prop up Miles and Jeff. Like Krystle eventually was there just to prop up Blake and Alexis.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. The Holiday Whore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Medals:
    You can tell I wrote that in anger from all the typos!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,356
    Medals:
    I got the impression from Paulsen's interviews that Pamela Sue wasn't approached for Season 9 and that Aaron Spelling coaxed Paulsen into sticking with Emma Samms. So Paulsen wrote Samms' Fallon like PSM's Fallon.

Since producer Robert McCullough, the man who'd made FALCON CREST a hit yet was fired after three seasons over Lorimar studio politics, was promptly hired by Aaron Spelling to co-produce HOLLYWOOD WIVES (and claims the impact Dennis McCarthy's over-the-top musical score for the DARK MANSIONS' pilot sunk McCullough in the eyes of Aaron), how nice it might have been if McCullough had been brought in instead to over see Season 5 thru 8 of DYNASTY where he really could have been useful.

And/or brought in Huson & Bast, if they could have been convinced, to enrich DYNASTY while also guiding its spin-off.

But, no, no one must obstruct The Pollocks until the brass knew DYNASTY was about to be cancelled and they needed someone new to take the blame (Paulsen says he didn't believe that was their motive in hiring him, but since when would they have discussed such a motive with him??)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Angel Gabriel

Angel Gabriel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    I did some quick digging in the newspaper archive and I've found out The Reunion was announced by Aaron Spelling on Friday, March 29, 1991. He said at the time the principal troika of Forsythe, Evans and Collins had already signed on to the project, along with John James, Heather Locklear, Emma Samms and Gordon Thompson.

I had posted the details of how Thompson's replacement went down later that year in a separate thread: http://www.soapchat.net/threads/thomson-vs-spelling.2348/

Spelling also said that day Esther Shapiro had already submitted the script for part 1. Part 2 had yet to be written, but interestingly (and this does explain a lot), she also submitted a 20-page ending for part 2 (so she had in mind how she wanted the movie to end, without fully figuring out how to get there) and Spelling described the ending this way: "it gives you a marvelously warm feeling". LOL.

The mini-series was originally scheduled for November 1991 sweeps, but ended up being ABC's counter-programming for the World Series play-offs on CBS and NBC's Sunday Night Movie "I Still Dream of Jeannie" (without Larry Hagman) which aired in mid October.

The network also didn't provide the critics with a copy of the miniseries in advance of the broadcast, which basically means they were fully aware they had a clunker on their hands.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Medals:
    Samms’ was always second best....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,356
    Medals:
    This is not a popular opinion, but I actually thought Robin Sachs was the best re-cast --- I mean, it should never have happened, and Gordon Thomson had a right to feel enraged by betrayal. But Sachs fit closer into the Adam harness than Emma Samms did for Fallon (although I like Emma and would have made her another character) or Jack Coleman did for Steven. Sweet Karen Cellini, of course, was just a corn-fed American version of Amanda which means she wasn't Amanda at all.

It's so odd and perverse (as are All Things Dynasty) that a show that was as good as any ever produced at pitch-perfect casting was also a show so very quick to re-cast its core group so boorishly. But in a weird way, that was just an extension of the Static Acting Directive (even though that was gone after Season 8, and remained gone during the 1991 Reunion): hire the perfect actors for their parts, and then suck out the natural quality that you originally hired them for by sticking a rod up their butts, or just change their faces at a moment's notice like the daytime soap they wanted it to be.

Madness.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Medals:
    Steven’s face just reverted back as he got older, Sammy Jo will always be trash, the mansion was just renovated, the old lady just got confused and Alexis DID go over the banister at the Carlton, Kirby was raped, it just never came up, and Adam’s face just changed a bit as he got older.

One thing that was odd was how Blake’s attitude towards Steven’s homosexuality reverted back to Season 01’s attitude. I’m just assuming that happened due to things that Blake maybe saw while in prison from ‘89-‘91......

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,380
    Medals:
    I just hope that Blake hasn't dropped his soap in the prison community shower ... :eck:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Medals:
    Maybe Blake LIKED what he saw and it freaked him out! Lol! Now that would have been a “What the devil?!” story line!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +258
    And the beef between Blake and Steven about his "lifestyle". Been there, done that to pieces. And they booth made their peace with it and each other. The Reunion is the 90's trying to invade the holy privacy of the 80's. Why bother doing it if all you're going to do is a re-run of things already eaten and digested? The Reunion requires you know absolutely nothing about the show/its people in order to be able to watch it and not go mental, and that is just wrong.

Also, B&K were divorced, a subject never touched in The Reunion. Crazy, since they used K:s story of her departure.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zara

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +258
    The show felt more genuine the first two-three seasons. They laid a solid ground but then slaughtered it for their own lazy creative thinking. John F, Linda and Joan should have put their foot down about the script. A Love Remembered was really the only time the past worked. The Roger Grimes, Blake's mother and Adam's kidnapping as well in fact, felt cheap and thrown together. No fashion sense at all. Ask Alexis. :p

How convenient, Blake and Alexis never mentioned Adam or Amanda until it dawned on them, oh, I/we have more children. Or the slip up by Alexis in the kitchen when she learns about K:s pregnancy, the wormy one. Alexis had always stated with pride that she gave Blake TWO CHILDREN. As the empty armed Madonna remembers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  17. Zara

Message Count:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +258
    Excellent analysis. Although I love the B&K-storyline and how perfect it was at times, K:s character had no real doings (or thoughts) except a hang around to Blake and some parts to Alexis. Krystle sort of faded as a whole person along the way and roamed the halls waiting for someone else to be good or bad, and do her thing and react. In many ways she was like a silent Sigmund Freud recording human behavior so that others than herself could be warned or educate oneself. The sci-fi angle is getting stronger.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,672
    I always found Adam easier to accept than Amanda, maybe because he was the story for season four, and also because he was actually planned from earlier in season two, but Spelling would nix it for budget reasons.

I think Blake's mother dying in the fire and Ben's exile and return had great potential, but as I have written in another thread, it was merely mentioned rather than explored.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Except for her rack. Emma is the n°1 in this very category.
    Pamela Sue Anderson was the best Fallon, but there was not much in the balcony.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,672
    PSM had said that she was approached later on the show's run again, but she did not want to share any details. It may have been Paulsen, or someone else from the exec team. I always assumed it was the end of season 8 because of Paulsen's idea, but it may have been some other time instead.
    She had also said in an interview around the 2006 CBS special that while at the time of her departure she had hidden it, she also had multiple health problems when she left DYNASTY in 1984: stress-induced partial hair loss, pneumonia, and cystitis.

I don't disagree that he was a better recast than Coleman or (heaven forfend) Cellini but how do you recast a role of 7 years for a 3-hour movie you want to make supposedly to please fans of the series? It's like Esther Shapiro and Spelling could not pretend to care about the fans even for an hour.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    • Like Like x 1