Dynasty's dream season

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Mar 20, 2019.

?

Which season would you erase?

1. Season 1

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Season 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Season 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Season 4

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Season 5

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Season 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Season 7

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  8. Season 8

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  9. Season 9

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,132
    If you could erase a season of Dynasty from existence, like Dallas did with Bobby's shower, which would it be and why? I understand that even in the season you erase there may be some details/plots/characters you would miss, but overall the choice would be guided by the idea that more harm than good was done with that season.

I did consider including the Reunion, but I figured most would go for it.

2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Medals:
    Season 08, all the way.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Medals:
    Season 7. That way, Season 8 can open with Alexis STILL in the mansion, and they can re-hire Catherine Oxenberg and continue her love-triangle with Clay and Sammy Jo, Ben can still be a bastard, and Caress can get something better to do this time around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +802
    The first go of it (early '81), with the back-and-forth between the Blaisdels and the Carringtons-- if it had just started with the Carringtons and stayed that way, instead of meandering between both, I think Dynasty would have been a far better show.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Season 6 with Krystle in the Attic episodes should have been a dream brought about by one of Krystle's headaches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,459
    Medals:
    Moldavia, of course. Dynasty doesn't need it and it was an impossible cliffhanger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Medals:
    A terrorist attack on a royal wedding seems impossible? The cliffhanger was fine; it was the so-called 'payoff' that sucked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,459
    Medals:
    They were mowed down by the soldiers, they made us believe that something really terrible had happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Medals:
    Exactly my point. The cliffhanger was fine. It was the fact that only 2 characters and a bunch of random extras were revealed to have died, THAT was the bad part.

In addition to Luke and Ashley... King Galen and Yuri *should* have been causalities, while Prince Michael, Claudia and Rita are characters who *could* have died, provided that we got a proper storyline/consequences from their deaths. That equals 7 possible deaths, one of them being a Main Character who's been around since the beginning (plus Claudia probably would be given a proper funeral/memorial), as well as a 'fake out' death in Rita's case (everyone would think she's Krystle).

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Medals:
    Season 8. What even happens in season 8? It's utterly shite in every way imaginable. At least season 7 has some stuff happening. It's been forever since I have watched those seasons but season 8 almost did me in. It was terminally boring. Even I, as a Dynasty fan would have told them to pull the plug after season 8. That's why season 9 is a miracle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,459
    Medals:
    It was great, we had never seen this kind of carnage in a soap before.
    Rita wasn't there, Claudia wasn't supposed to die yet and Galen, Michael and Yuri were minor characters like Luke and Ashley.
    It looked as if they wiped out the entire Dynasty, no-one could have avoided hundreds and hundreds of bullets. and that's what made it so exciting.
    upload_2019-3-21_17-43-34.png
    This was the most difficult season to continue from, so *if* something had to be explained as a dream then I'd pick season 5.
    And it had very little impact on season 6, it just petered out so…
    Of course it should have been Alexis' dream since she was the only one who knew what Amanda looked like, the 4th child had already been mentioned in season 4 therefore "Amanda" was supposed to happen anyway.

Btw, to explain it as a dream doesn't mean they don't show it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Medals:
    Yup. Carnaaaage.... :D

I was referring to the idea that some people have had over the years, that Rita replace Krystle sooner, but then die in Moldavia.

Instead, she died the following year in a fire that she accidentally caused... because she had gone crazy again... over a well... that she talked almost endlessly about the entire season... and was given no funeral or memorial once the character departed. While I did like some of the things Claudia did in Season 6, maybe it would have been better if she died in Moldavia.

More deaths is more deaths. And if we included Claudia, that's 6 deaths instead of a measly 2.

True. Although they could have redone that in Season 6 by having all the survivors be injured for the remainder of the season. I know somebody suggested that Steven be paralyzed; everybody else could have been shot in the arm or leg, and suffering from PTSD for the first few episodes.

Now you may have won me over! :D The dream could have been brought on by the stress/trauma of not only being arrested, but also of hearing of Fallon's car accident... which could pave the way for Emma Samms' entrance: Fallon was never missing, she just got herself a new face. :lol: That would mean Alexis would still have to prove her innocence in Mark Jennings' murder... perhaps she starts babbling about Neil McVane in drag, except this time around, it was somebody different... perhaps the writers could have used the missed opportunity of overlapping Kirby's revenge with Mark's death. Plus, Amanda could still come around, only the family has a different reaction to her this time around. I'd still have her affair with Dex, which would be an even heavier blow for Alexis this time around, since she worried it would happen even before the two met.

Er... I know. ^^

13. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Any episode with that ridiculous Helmut. He was an abomination, one of the worst primetime actors ever.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Would a dream damaged the show´s believeality more than this aftermath of the royal wedding?
    Dynasty was more over the top top than Dallas. I think a dream could have worked better than "nobody" dying.
    I would have preferred it to as Alexis´ nightmare - but she only dreamed the wedding. So they only had re-shot the wedding instead of making a whole year non-existent.

But if it had to be a whole season I would choose S7 to be a dream. It could have rescued much potential. Alexis´ still in the mansion, Oxenberg back, Ben still a bastard and Caress comes from Australia with some dirty news to shake up the Dynasty. There would be triangle love stories around Sammy Jo/Clay/Amanda and Alexis/Dex/Dominique. It could have had the cliffhanger that original was planed and Ben blackmails Alexis to marry him. When S8 starts Alexis wakes up and is frightened that her first night in this house caused this awful nightmare ... when she has breakfast with Adam she is joking "even this former lover of Krystle ... Matthew came back to this house to take this blonde tramp with him. And I dreamed that we had to adopt you" - this leads to a storyline where Adam is frightened to be no Carrington and starts drinking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,459
    Medals:
    I think it can only be a dream when it's very different. To re-do a season with alterations here and there is going to make it very confusing.
    Both Martinique and Moldavia stuck out like a sore thumb which makes it easy to differentiate between the dream-and-real seasons.
    In hindsight, DALLAS was very lucky that it had to happen in that particular season.

Also, I'd complete the Moldavia dream with this:
    upload_2019-3-23_12-1-14.png
    ...which was supposed to be dream anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    Elena should’ve died on the massacre too as well as most of those mentioned. I can’t decide between the follow up season to the ground breaking massacre episode and season 8 which were dull and duller. Redeemed by a fantastic season nine but sadly too many had switched off by then :-( oh yes Catherine should’ve come back Indeed! The massacre wasn’t ridiculous, but the follow up episode was totally unbelievable and almost a dupe to fans the way thevDallas dream was. A cop out.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Medals:
    Come on who voted for season 9? Own up and face the wrath!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +249
    I guess I will never understand the shit storm about season 7. One of the best seasons, in my opinion.
    Season 8 on the other hand...absolutely ghastly apart from one or two episodes.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,042
    Medals:
    Well, now, see, that's just …….

:2B:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,074
    Medals:
    I voted for S7, although i'd much rather erase THE REUNION from this universe... all universes!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1