DYNASTY's time-slot and production costs

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    If you're asking why CBS didn't move MAGNUM to 10pm, they also didn't vacate the 10pm timeslot and kept THE EQUALIZER in the same timeslot. DYNASTY's move was primarily triggered by the move of a weaker HOTEL to another night and sudden availability of the 10pm timeslot. They were not going to put a new drama behind a fading DYNASTY.

To this day, this remains common practice. REVENGE became a hit in DYNASTY's Wednesday at 10pm timeslot, so it earned a coveted Sunday at 9pm timeslot after the conclusion of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. As soon as it became obvious its best days were over (a year and a half later) it got pushed to 10pm, because they couldn't count on it to provide a proper lead-in to new dramas at 10.

Beats me. The show suffered the greatest damage while it continued to air in the same timeslot on Wednesdays at 9pm.

It does now, but it didn't in the 1980s. Many of the shows ran into May, of course, but the official end of the Nielsen TV season was in April and that's when the year-end seasonal charts came out.

Obviously you never got my original point, so naturally you'll dismiss whatever I add on the matter as backtracking.

Nevertheless I repeat (as futile as these attempts may be) - the drop from one timeslot to another would have been expected and that wasn't the problem (timeslot expectations vary). The show's inability to hold on to whatever diminished audience it did manage to capture in the new timeslot however was. That inability had to do with the fact the show was past its prime and had almost run its course, not the timeslot itself.

2. Luke Fuller

Luke Fuller Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19
    This season started on 9/22/1986 and ended on 4/19/1987 according to Nielsen Media Research. It was valid for all the shows in the US including Dynasty, of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    The only worthy competition would be another prime time soap, but that never happened.

4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,973
    Not really. If a show I was a fan off was declining in quality and it was up against another show I was interested in I would switch to the other show. Regardless if it was a soap or not. At 10pm there are usually a lot of talk shows on in the US or there were if I'm not mistaken.

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    O really. And which soap did you desert for a non-soap?

6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,973
    I deserted The O.C when it was airing, I think around season 3. I Just gave up on it, because it became frustratingly terrible, and at one point that was appointment TV for me. I didn't watch it in all its entirety until I bought the last few seasons on DVD a long time after it was cancelled. I discovered I was right to quit when I did.

I also quit Desperate Housewives late season 6 or early season 7. It stopped being must see for me, I still haven't seen it all to the end. I probably will do in the future if I get the boxset cheap. It just felt really repetitive at that point for me. I wont watch something out of loyalty if the quality really declines.

If I was watching NuDynasty on TV and not through Netflix I would have switched channels months ago. I have only watched maybe 4 episodes of the second season and have no desire to watch anymore anytime soon. It's torturously bad.

I also quit TNT Dallas the right when Anne was on trial. I stopped watching on Channel 5 right then and there and never returned.

I will switch over if it no longer interests me. I will watch anything else, even a cookery program or a documentary.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224

I guess they forgot to tell the shows that were airing through May on all three networks.
    Dallas (CBS): ""The Dark at the End of the Tunnel" May 1, 1987
    "Two-Fifty" May 8, 1987
    ""Fall of the House of Ewing"May 15, 1987

Knots Landing (CBS): "Parental Guidance" April 30, 1987
    "Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate" May 7, 1987
    "Cement the Relationship" May 14, 1987

Moonlighting (ABC): "To Heiress Human" May 5, 1987

St Elsewhere (NBC): "Good Vibrations" May 13, 1987
    "Slip Sliding Away" May 20, 1987
    "Last Dance at the Wrecker's Ball"May 27, 1987

I am sure there were more, but these were the ones that I could find through a quick search.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    Once again you are trying to prove a point nobody was making.

LukeFuller had 3 episodes of DYNASTY listed below the OFFICIAL END OF SEASON 1986/87 line and I said "shows of course did air into May".

That doesn't change the fact that in the 1980s the official Nielsen TV season used to end in April regardless of the networks continuing to air new episodes into May.

Nielsen would accordingly issue their final end-of-season charts in April not including the remaining episodes and that's all that LukeFuller indicated in his original post in which he listed the episode ratings.

But, hey - keep updating your post. Maybe you'll manage to post the entire May 1987 schedule to prove an imaginary point.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Or you'll keep quoting more and more third posters once you saw that I left you to make your own points unencumbered by pesky opposing viewpoints or being called on your own contradictions.

10. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    So, when your strawman approach fails to elicit the nodding approval you seek, you abandon discussion. I wouldn't brag about your inability to have a conversation.

If I see a fallacy -- like the one about the official TV season in the 80s -- I'll call it out, regardless of whom it was originally directed at.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    Of course, but that's not how we did in the 80s.
    We didn't have the luxury of reruns or DVDs, they could decide to replace the soap with another show and then we wouldn't even have the luxury to watch all episodes.
    Sons & Daughters, Dallas, Dynasty, Howards' Way - you watched it or you didn't.
    And I must say that even the worst of these classic prime time soaps was still watchable. It never occured to me quit any of these soaps. OMG, the very idea, not knowing what would happen next.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,973
    I'm sure in the '80s some viewers switched over or switched off when it was bad. Even then.

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    No, not unless they died.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Luke Fuller

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Dynasty survived in a new timeslot in 1987/88 season. (Btw, it was the only time when all episodes in a series of the show were aired inside the official Nielsen season.) But the audience was disappearing - one episode was watched by only 12,7 mil. of households in average. The show was allegedly ranked as No. 41 according to some sources (like in the link below). Neverthless, I am a little confused by the fact that "My Two Dads" show is present twice in the chart (as No. 21 with rating 16,8 and simultaneously as No. 32 with rating 15,7).

https://www.apnews.com/53b06e0c8df47c0ee910cfcc5c903b3f

15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I think that is because the show had two different periods in that season--late February NBC gave its slot to "Day by Day."

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    At least they did give it the back 9 episodes. They could've finished the series after 13. Speaking of which, I finally came across the quick report on the renewal, I knew I'd read it years ago but I wasn't able to find it till today. From The Washington Post dated December 22, 1988:

No lumps of coal this year for at least one Aaron Spelling Productions crew that had probably been expecting The Worst. According to the trades (ABC won't confirm), "Dynasty" has been renewed for a full 22-episode run.

In its ninth season, and assigned to the Black Hole of Television (Thursday night, when NBC disappears just about anything ABC and CBS lobs at it), the show has been barely making a dent so far this season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...3df-9f76-d5b63625c2ec/?utm_term=.49885e391dbe

The renewal had come a little over 2 months before episode 14 aired (March 2, 1989), so it was about as late as they could've waited to make the decision (given the time needed to produce the remainder of the season).

Also, I came across a TV column opinion from April 24, 1988 (before season 9 renewal was announced) and they put 'Dynasty' at the top of the list of shows ABC should get rid of. Meanwhile, 'Hooperman' was recommended for renewal as it ended the season as ABC's highest rated new show, 'thirtysomething' was behind it:

[​IMG]

'My Two Dads' had two airings in March (while it was on hiatus on Sundays) on a Saturday and a Monday, perhaps those are the second rating.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Luke Fuller

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I cannot imagine the stress about the production of season 9 because of it. It looks like ABC tried to nail down Aaron Spelling as much as possible (because of money probably). Surprisingly, Dynasty seemed to be coherent in the second and the third part of the season (after exit of Linda Evans). On the contrary, the show was a little messy at the beginning, in late 1988. They started a plotline with Adam fighting for his son David and hiring Morgan Hess - and then cut if off after four episodes only. They started a plotline with a new secretary Clair - and then cut it off after four episodes only again. (The exit of Clair was not even shown on "Last time on Dynasty" section in the following episode.) The presence of Leann Hunley in the opening episode was a big surprise in a positive way - but it seemed strange and out of order. (Thank god, we got a chance to see a "proper" exit of Dana.) And we saw a big fake blue wall around the mansion several times in the first two episodes, which was very disturbing. Neverthless, Dynasty got a full 22 episode run with a strong central story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    Don't forget there was a writers' strike in 1988 which I mentioned above (from February 29th till August 7th), so that means they had little time to come up with those first scripts before production began in September for an early November season premiere.

I found this short story from November 30, 1988, where they seemed to begin to talk about Linda's exit (which aired in January) and indeed they said "it's been a crazy season and no one knows what's going to happen."

What's interesting is that -- in a separate story which was published in January, the day her last episode aired, and I won't post it here for now -- they said she still had an option to appear in 4 additional episodes beyond 'The Wedding', which would've brought her season total to 10.

[​IMG]

19. Luke Fuller

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I am not surprised. Linda Evans was on the contract till the end of 1988 (from the viewpoint of production, not airing on TV), so that she was obliged to play Krystle in several more episodes. David Paulsen (and others in the production team?) decided not to use her from financal reason (like in the first two episodes). It is connected to the fact that Linda Evans was the best paid TV actress in Hollywood in 1988.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Linda Evans was contracted until the end of the 87-88's season, not until the end of 1988. If she was, she would have been in most of season 9 (as the last episodes might have been shot in February 1989).