DYNASTY's time-slot and production costs

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,330
    Medals:
    No, John, Joan and Linda were all contracted through the early episodes of Season 9 -- late 1988; Linda left while Collins and Forsythe both had to sign extensions in order to complete the season.

And the last episodes were shot in April as the season started filming late due to the writers' strike.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +436
    According to my knowledge, actors are contracted by season, not by year. Now, it's possible that in 1988-1989 they signed two contracts : one for 13 episodes and then one for 9 episodes (for the actors that were in every episode of course).

They did that for the first season of "The Colbys".

Diahann Carroll also signed two contracts for season 5, as her number of appearances was extended (22 episodes instead of 17).

You're right, I forgot about the strike.

3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,330
    Medals:
    It's not always season or year. In 1986, Joan and John and Linda all re-negotiated together in order to not be played off of each other, and their new two-year contracts took all three of them a few episodes into the ninth season -- which is why Linda only did a few episodes that fall (which finished airing in January 1989) and Joan and John had to sign extensions to finish out the season.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

This is off topic, but I love Linda's hair like that. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,887
    We're not privy to a definitive answer from a behind-the-scenes source, but according to what was printed in the press the contracts signed in late 1986 were indeed valid through the end of the 1987/1988 season.

It was an unprecedented move by Aaron Spelling to call a press conference and reassure the fans -- most likely because DYNASTY had once again begun to plummet in the ratings -- that their show and stars were safe through the spring of 1988.

This is from November 19, 1986:

[​IMG]

Then there is this short piece from 20th January 1988 establishing that there had been no contracts in place for a 9th season for any of the 3 principal stars and that they had begun negotiating their return with the producers:

[​IMG]

Finally, in early March of that year, three weeks before the airing of the season 8 cliffhanger, it was already announced that:

* Jack Coleman was leaving at his own request;
    * LeAnn Hunley and Terri Garber were not likely to return;
    * the show itself had not been renewed for a 9th season yet (that would be confirmed in May 1988), but it was likely to return in the fall, and
    * the only cast member whose contract remained up in the air for a 9th season at this point was Linda Evans
    (which is likely how she ended up negotiating a 6-episode contract with an option to do 4 more episodes).

From the March 10th, 1988 NEW YORK DAILY NEWS:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,330
    Medals:
    Regardless of varying contradictory news stories, the reason Joan and John had to sign contract extensions after S9 started was because those contracts expired after S9 started.

7. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,887
    Here is an August 3, 1988 story confirming Linda Evans had signed on to do 7 episodes (out of 13 ABC had ordered by this point -- they went on to order the full season in December), whereas John and Joan have signed for a "full hitch".

Therefore I assume the S9 extensions indeed had to do with ABC ordering the back 9 -- had the writers' strike taken a few weeks longer, the show would've come back in 1989 and in that case ABC probably would have kept the final season at 13 episodes and no extensions would've been needed.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Luke Fuller

Luke Fuller Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thank you for this article. It helped me fully accept the final season. I am glad that Jack Coleman was not fired because of budget cuts or because of David Paulsen. I really missed Jack (or his character) in 1988/89 season. Neverthless, I am still confused that Alexis said no single word or a sentence about the departure of the most favourite child of her (unlike Blake, Krystle, Sammy Jo, Fallon or Adam).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    Hey, you're right! I never noticed that. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Frankly, of all the things "The Reunion" got wrong, bringing back Al Corley was such an unexpected pleasure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2