1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Easter - a bloody boring holiday!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    I've come to notice a pattern. I am depressed every Easter. I can't stand this holiday. Nothing is fun during these 5 days. Not even what I usually like doing. I've got the Easter blues.

Anyone else disliking this holiday?

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    That's great... But Easter isn't about you. Go have some chocolate and be thankful you weren't crucified.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    To be crucified sounds appealing right now.

I am about 3% religious, and I don't believe in the Bible. So all that religious stuff is nothing I think about. Easter for me is 100% about enjoying time off work and have fun. But the problem is that I never enjoy myself during this holiday. Everyone else around me seems to have fun. Well, all except my parents. They never have much fun.

4. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    I dunno….. Be more fun? Go do something you enjoy? Stop complaining that you are bored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    I dunno if you've ever suffered from depression, but in case you haven't I can tell you it's not as easy as to just "get over it". Absolutely nothing is fun, not even shopping.

And with my dad being an alcoholic, I know that he'll be drunk for the next 5 days. As I have a dog to look after, I can't just leave either.

I also think everyone is entitled to some complaining. As this is such a thread, with the question if anyone else having holiday blues, it doesn't help when you reply with that attitude.

6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    Ok so this thread isn't about Easter as much as it is you being depressed. I see now.
    There are fun things you can do even if you cant leave the because you have a dog to look after. Of course I have suffered from depression. I find that getting off my ass and going for a walk, getting up, dressing up and making myself do things really helps. Sitting around mopping doesn't. If I'm unhappy I have to do something about that. Nobody else can change that but me. A good book, a good film, a great dinner, a chat with a friend, watching a favourite TV show. Positive thinking in general. The Easter holidays should be seen as a time to relax and enjoy yourself and do what you choose. Be thankful you have time off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,619
    Medals:
    I used to love Easter when I was a child. I loved visiting with my grandparents over the holiday and dressing up as Easter Witches and knocking on doors getting candy in return of Easter drawings. It is such a nice Swedish tradition. Problem is once you've outgrown it Easter will never be the same again. :(

As an adult I usually don't think Easter is that much fun either so last year I decided to boycotted it and went to Dallas over the holiday. It made me homesick and realize that I missed Easter at home with my family. So this year I am quite looking forward to the holiday. :)

I'm sorry to hear that your dad is an alcoholic though. That must be really difficult being around someone who is drunk all holiday. So I can see why it ruins the holiday. :hb:

8. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,111
    Medals:
    I like Easter, I only get two days' holidays through work, an extra day wouldn't go amiss.

Swami

9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,856
    Medals:
    The inability to motivate yourself is part of the depression, and I guess it's more confronting during times of relaxation when you don't have to do anything.

10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    Wouldn't it be more confronting when you have to do things like go to work and face people, when you don't want to. I know in times I have been depressed those have been the times I have felt the worst anxiety, and depression has been increased.

Anyways the thread has shifted from it's original inception. Easter is a boring holiday has now become I'm depressed and don't enjoy Easter. Which is fine. I doubt Emelee is going to find a cure for her depression here though. And I doubt many people will agree that Easter sucks.

11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    I know I should try to relax and enjoy free time, but with a depression and a dash of bipolar disorder, it's much easier said than done.

Holidays are crappy for me. Dad's always drunk during all holidays. My depression gets worse.

But Easter is for some reason my least favorite holiday. I like Christmas for the most part. But Easter is just downright depressing. The long horrible Friday especially. I will try sleeping that day away.

I do wonder what makes me dislike Easter more than any other holiday. I can't figure it out. It's spring, a season I really like. Except the 5 days of Easter.

Does anyone have Easter as their favorite holiday?

12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    Since you know already how you feel about this holiday and it seems to be something that has went on for a long time. And since you know you will be off work over this time, an idea would be to prepare plans well in advance so that you will be prepared for this period. Have friends over on that long Friday. Go see a movie, start a boxset. Start a hobby or project. Do something positive that you will in future associate with this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    It's the opposite for me. When there's no time to think and feel what your ghosts tell you, I function better.

14. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    Would be great advice if it wasn't an actual depression with bipolar. Not even my medication works during these periods.

Besides, my best friend #1 lives way too far away. My best friend #2 has her family over and she's slightly allergic to my dog. I live in a small town, so there isn't much of anything to do in the city for people my age. Even Game of Thrones feels boring during Easter. I don't dare wasting good series during periods of depression.

A little self-harm feels alluring, but I've stayed away from that since 2008. Not gonna start now, which is why sleeping the Easter away feels like a good idea.

I wish there was some charity thing I could do, not online or just sending money. Actually do some charity work. But again - small town, dead town. Nothing available.

Christmas has more fun "mandatory" traditions than Easter. Could be why Easter feels like a big blah.

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,856
    Medals:
    How about Easter Sermons. I know of people who don't really believe in anything and they still find some kind of serenity inside a church.
    I couldn't think of a better opportunity to try something spiritual, and you've got nothing to lose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    I think this is good advice for someone who is depressed. When I feel a depression coming on I leave the house and do something whether it's going for a walk in the park, going to the cinema, going shopping, going to the gym, meeting a friend, chatting to a stranger in a coffee shop, just anything. I think staying in thinking about being depressed just makes me worse.

As far as Easter goes, I love it but I am a Christian and it's a big part of my faith. For me, everything starts on Ash Wednesday, continues though Lent, during which I always give up something significant to me so I can be reminded of the sacrifice that was made for me. So my anticipation for Easter builds for 40 days or more and I'm genuinely excited when Easter finally arrives.

I always make Easter eggs with the children in the family which is so much fun and they love eating their own creations (as do I).

I like the solemnity of Good Friday and I usually go to a Passion play (the last 3 years I've gone to the one in Trafalgar Square in the centre of London along with about 20,000 other people) and it really brings home the true meaning of Easter.

Unlike Christmas, which I find stressful due to wanting to buy presents for everybody, Easter is fun because it's less stressful and therefore I can focus on enjoying it and reflecting on my faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,856
    Medals:
    But the whole point of being depressed is that you can't enjoy anything, there is no motivation or energy at all. It's not something that can be "happied away", otherwise it wouldn't be such a serious condition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    It's just not my thing going to church. I come from a long line of unreligious people, going to church is only something you must do, for funerals. Sweden is a very secular country. The church in this town is bound to be next to empty. A priest and a couple of old people. It's not even half full during Christmas Day. Will be even less during Easter. If more people went to church, I would consider going just to have something to do. I don't have anything against church, it's just something people don't do over here.

Many people have exited the Swedish church, which is Lutheran. Not because they'd rather be catholic, but because they're atheists and don't want to pay the church taxes. I am agnostic, so I have kept my membership in the Swedish church. Better safe than sorry, I suppose. But sitting in a next to empty church listening to a Bible I don't believe in just feels depressing in itself.

Church during Christmas Day can be quite cozy though, if enough people turn up.

19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    But depression has to be fought. Otherwise there is no solution you just give up, don't get out of that bed and die. I have suffered from depression, and when it takes hold the only thing that works to get out of it is to remove myself from the surroundings and situation. Get fresh air in your lungs, listen to music, see friends.

What should we suggest if not the things we already have?

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,856
    Medals:
    And that's exactly what you need. Imagine the joy when you walk out of that church (after the sermon of course, it would be rude to leave earlier).

Anyone else who needs his/her Easter fixed?