1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Easter - a bloody boring holiday!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,112
    Medals:
    That wasn't exactly my point, and admittedly it doesn't work for everyone, but when I'm depressed the key thing for me is to force myself to do something/anything away from being alone in my house because doing nothing makes my depression deeper and longer. It's not able happying away the depression, it's about moving my thinking on from focussing on being depressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,629
    Medals:
    I think the church in your hometown is bigger than the one I normally go to. Since when I attend church on Christmas Eve in the morning it's so full that there's barely any room to sit. I know one year we had to stand up since it was literally full and we arrived last minute when the bells were ringing.

Then as for going to church in my experience it's not only about reading passages from the bible. But the priests usually talk about other topics too that can be examples from their every day life. Or something more abstract like on topics like forgivness or gratitude etc.

Then there's singing and I remember one year when I went to church on Easter they were sprinkling water over the congregation!

I know of a girl I've worked with who is not religious but who used to be a part of a youth group at church since it was a nice place to hang out with friends. I think the youth group ended up going on a trip to France together.

Still reading the paper this morning I don't think I've ever gone to church on Good Friday since they described some sort of ritual that I have never witnessed. It almost made me curious to go there. Even though the midnight mass when Christ's resurrection is being celebrated with lightning of candles seemed nicer somehow. I have never been to that one either.

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Passover in Orthodox Christianity (unlike the pagan-derived "Easter" name in western Christian churches) is actually quite a somber time, or was when I was growing up. There is something about the church asking you to partake on a dark journey to suffering and crucifixion, not just of Jesus but also (and perhaps mainly) of his mother. Chronologically happening against the backdrop of the whole of Nature's rebirth through spring, I always found holy week alluring, even long after I stopped believing in the stories of Jesus turning the desert into Walmart and the disciples writing what he said in his prayer on the Mount of Olives when every single one of them had fallen asleep. I actually still like visiting a church during holy week, especially Good Friday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,861
    Medals:
    Who am I to say that people shouldn't try something.
    But I get the idea that you're confusing certain symptoms of depression with the actual disease.
    A serious depression is like lying in bed and not wanting to get up - maybe the person knows why, maybe not - but more important is that the depressed person doesn't care.
    It's not a conscious decision not to do anything/stay in the house, any kind of improvement simply doesn't exist in that state of mind.
    There is medication but I don't know the effects of these drugs. Maybe to make it a little bit more endurable.

Depression isn't feeling sad or kinda moody, most people who say "I'm depressed" really aren't depressed at all.

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    It's kinda patronizing to have depression explained to you. Or to have it implied that you haven't really felt depressed if you didn't just lie in your bed wasting away in dramatic fashion. Of course there are differing degrees of the illness. I wont go into details but I have suffered various bouts of depression over the years. Through experience I have learned that the only way to overcome it is to force myself to do those things I have suggested. Drugs were offered to me, really quickly, as soon as I mentioned how I felt to a doctor, but I didn't think started a drug to be dependant on was going to improve my mental state. If you are in a bad place you get out of it, even if that place is in your head. Really dragging yourself out of bed, dressing properly and going outside, breathing fresh air, having the sunlight on your face. Speaking to a friend these are all things that truly help. You have to fight depression if you don't want to do that then you really only have one other option and that's to remain in a dark place alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,861
    Medals:
    I wasn't suggesting that a depressed person should simply lay down and revel in misery, naturally that person needs professional help.
    Severe depressions are hard to fight, and I got the impression that Emelee is suffering from one those big ones (correct me if I'm wrong, Emelee).

It's a little naive to suggest a nice movie or be grateful for your day off, glad it works for you though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,742
    Medals:
    It comes and goes. I have been diagnosed with depression and having panic anxiety, and a therapist has suggested to me to go through an investigation for bipolar disorder as well. When the depression side of the assumed bipolar disorder hits, I can get really depressed. Thoughts about dying etc etc. But I think my medication helps, at least I haven't had panic attacks in a very long time now. My best friend has similar issues, and she's even tried committing suicide whereas I've only fantasized about it.

When my depression is only half-bad, it's easy to either just sleep it away for a number of hours. Those are the times I could watch some good movie or series or take a walk. But when it gets bad, nothing helps. Fortunately, those bad times don't last very long. Then I'll be ok for a while before the manic side takes over and I start obsessing about something. Those highs are awesome. But then I start wanting more and more, and the manic side doesn't get enough and that's when it switches over to depression again. However, I can go weeks without either manic and depressed states. That's when I feel normal and healthy.

Probably, @Karin Schill. This town's Lutheran church is 600 years old, and back then a whole lot more people went to church than these days.

As I've never been a fan of Easter and I don't believe in Jesus being God's son, I've never seen any point going to church during this holiday. I go some years at Christmas, as I wrote yesterday, but not because of religious reasons, but rather because it's cozy to go to church during Christmas and listening to that passage from the Bible when Jesus is born. Even though I don't believe the things in the Bible has actually happened, I do think it's a brilliant book. I can read it like a fictional novel about people that have existed in reality, but not been through those exact events. It's a bit Game of Thrones but without dragons and zombies. No offence to all believers, that's just how I relate to the Bible.

8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,112
    Medals:
    I do appreciate the difference between feeling a bit sad and being clinically depressed. The kind of depression you describe isn't something I've had first hand experience of nor is it the only form of depression that people have.

For me, I can just be having a good day and suddenly, for no apparent reason, I get hit by a wave of despair which gets increasingly worse unless I do something about it. Almost always I feel like sitting in a chair for hours just focusing on negative thoughts, sometimes getting tearful, often feeling weighed down by problems. Even though it's a struggle, I now always try to get up and leave the house because when I'm home on my own the negativity intensifies. Just doing something, even if it's just going for a walk helps enormously.

9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    I, like you, have no gage of Emelee's true mental state. Neither of us have met her and neither of us are in any way medically trained. She started a thread complaining of how boring Easter was. Then it swiftly became a thread about her depression. I, and others offered advice and suggestions on how we personally have overcome bouts of depression.
    These suggestions were given with sincerity. Emelee was reaching out for help and it was offered. Belittling these suggestions and calling them naïve is about as helpful as saying get over it.

Perhaps you have some suggestions? Other than going to church?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,827
    Not at all. Any excuse to enjoy some peace and quiet or spend time with family or friends. Today I'm about to spend it with a relative I haven't seen for some time and she has just returned from another overseas cruise.

One thing I laughed about was the temperature the United Kingdom is going to experience on Good Friday - 77F in some parts. Wow. Today (Saturday) here where I live it's going to be 1 degree warmer than that.

Why I like Easter? Any excuse to eat more chocolate :)

11. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,110
    Medals:
    I think it is dependent on your faith - if you are religious or not. If you aren't religious the whole holiday seems unnecessary and I don't understand why the date always moves. We don't move Christmas around, so why move the date when Jesus was supposedly crucified? I just don't get it. (No disrespect meant). Too many people also take advantage of the holiday and don't know what it means.

There's also a BIG difference between feeling a little depressed and being clinically depressed believe me. I think it's nice to offer Emelee some suggestions and I hope they do help. It is a horrible horrible thing to suffer from.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,112
    Medals:
    The date of Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. The date moves because the movement of the moon doesn't correspond with a calendar month (a lunar month is about 29.5 days) and even the spring equinox doesn't always fall on the 21 March and can be as early as the 19th March. Easter can therefore be as early as 22nd March or as late as 25th April.

• Informative Informative x 1