eBay Sellers Cancelling Orders After You Have Won The Auction

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Alexis, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    So this week I bid on an item on eBay. As it transpired I was the only bidder on the item and I won the action. I promptly paid and expected it would be shipped soon. I just signed in to check my account and I have a message from the seller saying that they had to cancel the order as there must have been a glitch in the system and they already sold the item weeks ago. Now the listing no longer exists and there is no trace that I ever bid for it or won it except in this message from the seller.

To me this seems more than a little dodgy. I cant see how an international company like eBay would have glitches in the system that would allow an item that had been sold to be relisted again? To me it seems the seller either didn't have the item or that they just didn't want to part with it for the low amount I won it at.

The seller has refunded my money but this all just seems really weird.

Where I stand with this? Is the seller allowed to do this? Are eBay at fault here? I just don't understand it at all.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    What is weirder is the email I have from eBay about the cancellation. It says...

Hello,
    Good news, you're order was cancelled.
    The seller has refunded US $28.98 back to your original payment method and you don't have to do anything else.

How is it good news that something I bought isn't going to come? Something I bid on and checked on all week. How is it good news that an order has been cancelled? :confuse:

3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,219
    This has happened to me as well. I thought the seller was disappointed with the final price the item achieved so he cancelled the sale and refunded my money. I suppose I could have reported it to ebay or left negative feedback but I couldn't be bothered as I wasn't left out of pocket and the seller could have made an honest mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    It just doesn't seem right. A waste of time really. I could have bought it from an other seller. I don't even see how I can leave negative feedback as the listing isn't there and it doesn't show up in my purchases anymore.

There is a huge flaw here if sellers can just decide to cancel orders whenever they want. I thought they were contractually obliged to complete the transaction after payment was made. That means nothing at all if they can just decide to refund the payment whenever they choose and for whatever reason they pull out of the air.

5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    ebay scares me :lolo:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,219
    I'm not legal expert but this is how I interpret rules governing ebay sales. As a buyer, when you place a bid you are entering into a contract with the seller to purchase the item. Because the role of the seller at this point is passive, i.e. he as not shown his intention to sell the item to you specifically, the contract is not binding on his part. When you pay the money, again the seller's role is passive and so he has still not entered into a contract. If he then refunds your money, he is signifying his intention not to enter into a contract with you and the sale become void. However, if prior to refunding the money, he actively informed you that he had accepted your money and would send the item to you (as opposed to eBay's automatically generated acceptance email) then he would have entered into a contract to sell the item to you and would be bound by it.

Whether or not you are able to hold the seller to sell the item to you would depend on whether or not he (and not ebay) sent a personal communication to you indicating that he had accepted your bid.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,423
    It seems to me that the seller is at fault. I don't think it's eBay's fault. I had this happen to me on another site (a Swedish one), where I had ordered books from a seller. He/she/whatever cancelled my order before I paid. It was quite annoying, as one of the books I ordered is no longer in production.

It's bad salesman behavior to cancel purchases. I would give bad feedback. They deserve it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,159
    Thinking about it something similar happened to me when I ordered something last year from Etsy. I ordered it and then sort of forgot about it for a while. Then one I checked to see when it would be delivered and it hadn't shipped and the seller cancelled the order without informing me. She just refunded my Paypal.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,885
    I agree that is not good news but just simply annoying. :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    I guess they possibly meant that it's good news that you were getting your money back. But I agree that that still sounds awful to send a message like that. It wasn't good news at all!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    It wasn't e-bay, but one time an Amazon order got cancelled on me. But maybe it was for the best, because I was able to find a better deal with another seller on there for the same thing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,423
    It's just common courtesy, IMO, to 1. have the item you list and 2. be able to send it even though you only get your minimum opening bid. That's why eBay and such sites have a minimum amount in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,028
    We're all people and mistakes happen. What if he really doesn't have the item anymore? A reason could be that a seller also sells his products through other marketplaces like Amazon, and then forget to update his Ebay inventory. It's annoying (especially if you've been watching the item for some period, like Alexis did) but nothing more than that.

What does surprise me is that it's not visible in Alexis' purchase history, even without considering the option to leave feedback.
    He made the purchase, and that's an action that should be registered by Ebay.

• Like Like x 2