Elvis beats Madonna to album chart record

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37802306

Interesting, but I do wonder if the album is more an RPO project than Elvis. It's basically them playing along to existing Elvis material. It doesn't feel like a true Elvis album.

I've barely played the other Elvis/RPO album If I Can Dream. It's nice and everything, but something just sounds "off" with it. Perhaps I'm too used to the original arrangements.

Unsurprising to see Priscilla rock up to collect the award, but she's not his "widow" as the article would have us believe. They divorced some years before he died.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Because it isn't really is it? :confused:

There's nothing new from Elvis is there? I haven't listened to it.

Madonna's number one albums are by Madonna, as in she was part of the creation in each album at the time. New songs/lyrics and new music.

I don't understand how they can even think it's the same thing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I've just stumbled on a YouTube playlist that has all of the latest RPO cash in tribute to Elvis's music. This time it's his Christmas music.

[​IMG]

Now I love Elvis's Christmas album and have probably listened to it more than any of his other music. It's quite sacred to me. So I was expecting to really dislike the sacrilege of reworking these.

Shockingly, I've found myself liking it. The sweeping RPO music is a good fit with the seasonal music, and the arrangements complement Elvis's voice really well. His vocal sounds "new" again on these familiar tracks.

Some tracks work better than others, of course. And I'm not sure if the entire album will stand up to as many plays as the original versions. But I will be buying it. Probably at the end of December when it's been reduced to a fiver.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Payton Cross
    Fine

Payton Cross Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +601
    Original Member Since:
    Hi @Mel O’Drama, this new Christmas album with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is definitely on my wish list for the next month, I also have the other album with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which sounds very fresh and more volume in the songs. I was also very holding back at this kind of concpt albums but I was very surprised how good these songs sound, now I often listen to this album on my Iphone

So now I am very curious about this new Christmas album from Elvis, and I would definitely like to have it with the red cover because here are more songs on the album. ;)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  5. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Hi PC. :hello:

That's good to know. Now that I've enjoyed listening to Christmas I'll have another listen to If I Can Dream and see if it clicks with me. I may also get The Wonder Of You in due course to have all three of the RPO albums.

It's good that they've added the Peace In The Valley songs to the Deluxe Edition so that all the Christmas ones are on both and people can then decide if they want the gospel ones in addition.

I like both covers but I think the red background looks especially nice - rich, warm and a bit vintage.

When you get the album, I hope you'll let me know what you think of it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Payton Cross
    Fine

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +601
    Original Member Since:
    Hi @Mel O’Drama, :hello:

I have the "If I Can Dream" 2-disc cd, and i really love this album, you really should give this album a try. ;)

I have to wait for a few weeks, this cd will not be released until November 23th, but I have already pre-order the cd, i will let you know when i receive him :)

I also liked red cd cover more, it has more of a Christmas feeling to it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    You read my mind, Payton. I have it on CD and I've been listening to it today - along with lots of other Elvis music. Some lovely sounding tracks there. I especially enjoyed the re-scored versions of Love Me Tender and In The Ghetto. The RPO arrangements show off Elvis's voice well.

Oh lovely. It's nice to have that to look forward to.

Yes. I definitely agree with this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Payton Cross
    Fine

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +601
    Original Member Since:
    Hi @Mel O’Kalikimaka, I just wanne keep you up to date with Elvis's new Christmas album with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

I can only say one thing, the album is really great, most songs have a fuller sound like you've never heard of Elvis, especially recommended if you also have the other "If I Can Dream" CD. I have listened to the CD a couple of times now and I definitely love it, and I think you will definitely like it too. ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    That's great, Payton. I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

I will definitely buy the Christmas album with the RPO. It's probably a bit late for this year, but I hope to have it in ready for the run up to next Christmas (which I'm sure will come round in no time :eek:).