1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elvis In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    This discussion is derived from the documentary linked below. Although his film career was full of stinkers, Elvis made more than thirty full-length motion pictures during his life time.

Let's discuss them here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,209
    Elvis died of Bad Manager.

3. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Well, his movie career was certainly squandered by awful management by Colonel Tom Parker. He made a handful of decent movies at the beginning of his career ─ Love Me Tender, Loving You, Jailhouse Rock, and King Creole ─ and it was felt, as it appears, that he'd have a reasonably successful film career. Sure, he was a long way from the likes of Marlon Brando and James Dean, two of his idols, but with the right script, director, and management, he could have had a more rewarding filmography than he has.

His first post-service movie, G.I. Blues, laid the foundation for what was to become of Elvis' movie career. Elvis himself tried to edge in some depth with Wild in the Country and Flaming Star in 1961, but the indifferent box office return of those movies urged Elvis and his management to stick to the "Elvis formula". From Blue Hawaii onward, all the movies were flashy, musical comedies with little depth, all circling around songs and Elvis singing to women.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,607
    I love watching Elvis movies and am collecting them on DVD. I have all movies except for three now. The ones I am missing are "Loving You (1957), Follow That Dream (1962) and Charro! (1969). Except for for those I have watched or rewatched the other movies in the past decade or so. :elvis:

I would say that I am an Elvis fan. But it's because of Priscilla, I saw her on Dallas and that's why I watched my first Elvis documentary that she hosted. Then I discovered Elvis music.

I agree with you that there is definitely an "Elvis forumula" as a lot of his movies are similar to each other in style, plots and genre. Therefore when I watch an Elvis movie I know what to expect and I expect to be entertained. I don't exactly expect the movie to be good. But I expect it to make me laugh and feel good. There are some movies that surprise me that are really good movies, great even. But they are few and far in between. Then there are others that are favorites like" Tickle Me". Not because it is the best movie out of the bunch but because it is charming and endearing and I have loved that one since I was a teenager.

Also I do think that Elvis is a much better actor than he is given credit for. It's really a shame that he was denied the possibility of a more serious role such as the one in "Westside Story" that his manager supposedly turned down.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Those three movies you're lacking should be fairly easy to find on DVD. I'm not sure they got official releases, but I'm almost positive some bootleg website has them out there somewhere. When I worked at Fred's a couple of years ago, they would regularly have Elvis' movies in stock. Every time a new one came in, I bought it. Some of them still have the plastic around them. I've yet to watch any of them. I just wanted them to have them. They weren't but three dollars each, so the money spent was small.

I'm on the fence as to how good of an actor Elvis actually was. I certainly think his legacy as an actor is clouded by the host of considerably weak and quite frankly bad (in some cases) movies his filmography is cluttered with, although his earliest efforts were quite subtle and rewarding of the talents he did have. None of them necessarily stretched or tested his range, but instead fed his image has teenage heartthrob splashing across the silver screen. Elvis himself always felt the movie King Creole contained his best work as an actor, although I've yet to see it. I've often wanted to, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I think we've all heard rumors he was wanted for other roles, many of which Tom Parker allegedly turned down without Elvis knowing it. Elvis was apparently very interested in possibly doing West Side Story in 1961, but the Colonel stepped forward and crushed that dream right off the bat. Barbra Streisand initially wanted Elvis as her self-destructive mentor-turned-husband in her version of A Star Is Born in 1976, but the Colonel's salary demand was turned down flat by producers.

Certainly he could have achieved better things, acting-wise, had he had proper training and been placed in better vehicles. The Colonel was only concerned about those dollar signs, however, and his receiving fifty percent of Elvis' earnings (so I've heard) geared him toward the tiring formula that weakened the King's reputation as a film actor. Awards or any kind of critical favoritism was tossed out of reach, and after a while, the box office success had dipped significantly. Eventually, he decided to stop making movies because I personally think he knew a reversal had long been off the table.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,209
  7. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    If you watch the documentary I linked above, there's a piece towards the end where a member of Elvis's Memphis Mafia says that the Colonel got 50% of his earnings.

I'm not saying it's entirely true, but that's what was said in the interviews in the Hollywood-centric biography.