Elvis Presley

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Oct 24, 2017.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Was he a good actor? Could he have possibly done better with his acting career had Colonel Parker allowed him to branch out? I've heard he wanted roles in West Side Story, and other well-known films of the era, but Parker quickly declined the offers (or, convinced Elvis to back out).

His earliest films, the first four or so, seemed to show promise to some critics. Jailhouse Rock, his third film, for instance, received criticism for its portrayal of a convict as a hero and for its language, but was generally well-reviewed overall. It seems his fourth film, King Creole, showed the most promise of Elvis as a maturing actor, but following his army tenure, it all went south. His more dramatic turns in Flaming Star and Wild in the Country weren't major financial gushers, so Parker convinced his client to revert to formula—formulaic, modestly budgeted musical comedies.

Are there any films of Elvis' you particularly enjoyed? Was he an actor or a pretty face that sold tickets? Could have a tackled the roles he wanted and succeeded in them?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    Hi @ClassyCo ,

I've seen a lot of Elvis Presley movies when I was young, some films I found very good and Elvis acted very good as well in those movies, but many other Elvis movies he often used to play in musical movies where Elvis acted a little less good, but the movies were very entertaining to watch.

But then here is another story I read in a Barbra Streisand book that Barbra wanted Elvis to play with her in the up-coming movie "A Star Is Born", Barbra asked Elvis and he agreed but Colonal Parker was upset because Barbra did not go straight to him instead of asking Elvis first.

According to another story I read in an Elvis book, Elvis wanted to play more serious roles instead of the cheerful musical type of movies, it's so sad that Elvis played his final acting roll in 1969 in the movie "Change of Habbit". :(

For me it's has been to long i've seen any Elvis Presley movies, but i consider to collect his movies someday on dvd, but i do remember that i enjoyed "Viva Las Vegas", "Jailhouse Rock" and "Love Me Tender".

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,887
    I think he actually was a really good actor who could have become even greater if he had gotten better roles. :)

I have watched Elvis movies since I was a teenager and have recently bought a bunch of them on DVD. Right now I think I am only missing 6 of his movies. But I plan to get them some day too to complete my collection.

I think my favorites out of the bunch are:
    "Tickle me" (it's funny maybe not so good but funny!)
    "King Creole" (it's a dramatic role for him and a good script)
    "Flaming Star" (it's different, although it's a bit of a stretch that he plays a native american)
    "Change of habit" (his last movie which was actually not all about him and was surprisingly good)

Then there are several others that I also just love!

But I must admit when I watch an Elvis movie I expect something that's easy to watch, a little music, a bunch of girls that swoon over him, one love interest, some comedy stuff that's funny, a little fighting and a happy ending for the most part.

I don't expect anything that's too thought provoking. I just expect to be entertained. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    My mom is obsessed with Elvis and every now and then she'll show me his movies. They're quite bad if I'm being honest.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,225
    Elvis wasn't a bad actor but most of the roles he was given were pretty lame and didn't require any great acting range.

Kristoffer Kristofferson that eventually got the role in that film didn't set the screen alight and the result was the final production was quite dull. When I've watched the film I can't help thinking how much better Elvis would have been in it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Master of none is perhaps what Elvis is best described as.

7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    I mean Elvis is a crap actor. My mom LOVES his movies because she's such a huge Elvis fan... but yeah, they're pretty much crap. Does anyone but huge Elvis fans like these movies anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I've heard that Elvis was wanted for those movies, too. I do like Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock.
    I have several of Elvis' movies on DVD. Tickle Me was recently aired on TCM, and I recorded it. I was watching some of it last night, and that's what triggered my thoughts to start this thread. My father was watching some of it with me, too, and his thoughts on Elvis' acting (as they have always been) weren't positive at all.
    The majority of his films aren't considered art by most critics, and from what I've seen of them it seems as if these critics are more or less right in this case.
    I can agree with you in saying Elvis was entirely bad when it came to acting. The material he was given was by no means stellar, and we all know that lay at Colonel Parker's feet. His earliest roles seemed to show he had potential, but following his return from service, he was convinced to completely revert to the "Elvis formula" and that's what most people today think of when they hear of an Elvis film.

I recollect seeing Barbra Streisand's A Star Is Born only once, but I fondly remember enjoying it. I've never seen Kris Kristofferson in anything else, so I cannot necessarily judge his work by just one piece. Had Elvis been able to do it, however, I'm sure the impression it left on me would have been stronger, and I probably would be more inclined to purchase it personally.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    My grandmother is a mega Elvis fan, and I've heard her say on multiple occasions that she loved all of his movies. I can't agree with your other statement, however. I'm sure mega Elvis fans like all of his movies, while casual fans of his or fans of classic films, on the other hand, will find a couple throughout his filmography that aren't half bad.

[​IMG]
    I personally think Viva Las Vegas was one of Elvis' definitive films, and I'm sure the majority agrees. Ann-Margret was the perfect female counterpart for him, and she's the only leading lady I've seen him paired opposite that had her own personality.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    My mom is a such a huge Elvis fan that she pretty much loves all of his movies. It's quite strange. But yeah Viva Las Vegas is one of the decent ones (of a lot of absolutely mediocre ones)

I mean it's gotten to the point where I just roll my eyes and go ok mom

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Yes, I've met those types, and honestly I see exactly where they are coming from. Being the Marilyn Monroe fan that I am (hence my profile picture ;)), I have enjoyed all of her movies that I have been privileged enough too see---even those she's barely in. Not being a major Elvis fan, I am admittedly more easy to critique his films and his performances in them. Viva Las Vegas is certainly one of his better efforts, but even in agreeing with that, I do believe it's been a tad over-hyped. Of his movies in the 1960s, it would undoubtedly rank at the top of my list (keep in mind I haven't seen a whole bunch of his movies), and it's one I don't mind viewing every now and again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    I liked the movie but i think Elvis is a better singer than Kris, so maybe the music would be better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,887
    I agree with a lot of what you say. There is something such as "An Elvis formula" when it comes to movies.

It's really a pity that Colonel Parker didn't let him do A Star is Born or even Westside Story. It would have been interesting to see what Elvis could have done with a really good movie.

Most of the script he got must have been pretty pointless and bleh even if the movies are entertaining to watch and probably commercial successes it's not like they allowed him to stretch his acting muscles! rotf

True a lot of his movies are not very good at all. In fact some of them are so bad that they are funny to watch just because...:laughs:

• Like Like x 2
  14. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I know it would have been a treat to see what he would have done with roles that required a little more of him, especially in those that were "A" productions for sure. Yes, there is such a thing as an "Elvis formula" motion picture; I cannot exactly remember where I read that before (probably in one of his biographies). Some of his movies, yes, they are most definitely So Bad They're Good. :haha:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    I also think "Viva Las Vegas" is one of his best movies he made, but i think most die-hard fans like all his movies, and me as a Barbra Streisand fan, i like all of Barbra Streisand's movies, even if some movies where bad. :D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I like Streisand, too, but I haven't see a whole lot of her films. As TCM airs them, I will record them and watch them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    You really shoud, some movies are really good like Funny Girl, Funny Lady, Yentl, The Way We Were, What's Up Doc and Nuts. :)

18. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I've seen pieces of Funny Girl, but not all of it, and it's been a minute. I have Yentl on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet. My mother is a fan of Streisand's film work, and she's eager to see The Main Event again. She's got a soft spot for that one. I've yet to see it.

I have seen these of Streisand's:
    For Pete's Sake
    A Star Is Born
    The Way We Were
    (not quite all of it)
    The Guilt Trip

• Like Like x 1
  19. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I have been watching and reading a lot about Elvis here lately. Let's not let this thread die. What's any one else's thoughts on The King? What exactly is his legacy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    I agree @ClassyCo, Do you also have Elvis Presley films on DVD?, I will soon start collecting all Elvis flms as soon as I have finished selecting my DVD cabinet. Maybe a nice idea to judge them by film, what you like about the movie, and what you don't like about it, and how many stars you would rate them. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)