Emmerdale Emmerdale

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 12, 2016.

1. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I disagree. Family Affairs can't be any worse than the current "Emmerdale", which is just living off its 1989 reputation since the Tates nearly 15-30 years ago.

I always preferred Emmerdale Farm as Emmerdale, but Emmerdale declined when it went to 5 nights a week in 2000 and has become the worst soap out of the lot, tired and well past it's sell by date, how it's survived since i'll never know, unless Sandie Merrick can be brought back and being more about the farm on the opening titles and in scenes, the words "Emmerdale Farm" reinstated to move on from 1989. Too many 1970s characters have been killed off and Matt Skilbeck and Dolly Skilbeck may never return as the actors are getting too old now.

upload_2018-4-30_8-42-17.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    We are not going to agree on this, you are a Family Affairs fan which is fine, but it never lived upto its promise and that was why it was axed by 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well that reflects badly on Channel 5, as it was very dire at the time and only really improved in the last 10 years or so when it signed up Neighbours and Home and Away from the already established BBC and ITV, although Home and Away began on Channel 5 in 2001 and Channel 5 since creating more English/homegrown shows. Therefore Family Affairs can pick up in some way where it left off on Channel 5, if brought back on ITV (I've explained more about Family Affairs on other threads).

Channel 5 was THE problem at the time, not Family Affairs - It was only that and Night Fever which were the decent long-running flagship shows on Channel 5 from its beginning in 1997, they can't be much worse than The Wright Stuff, which doesn't stand any chance against ITV's This Morning. The best long-running programmes on the BBC and ITV aside from soaps are This Morning and Blue Peter.

Back on the subject of Emmerdale, just read my above post about Emmerdale Farm and Sandie Merrick.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    As much as I have fond memories of Emmerdale Farm, if the show was still like that now it would have been off the air years ago. Emmerdale must have been doing something right as it is offically the 2nd soap now, clobering EastEnders and has a cabinet bursting with trophies.

As for Family Affairs, i prefered the early episodes when it began until they decided to move the location of the show and treat the audience like idiots!

5. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The problem with both soaps is the killing off of characters from its beginning. I can understand Emmerdale's portrayal of Leeds back in the 1970s, it makes sense. As for London, the West End is more positive than the East End. Chelsea have won things since 1997, the same year Family Affairs began. West Ham have won nothing since 1980 and the BBC have allowed EastEnders to go on the air for over 30 years without a clue and it's just a depressing, miserable parody of Coronation street. It's basically Coronation street and Brookside rolled into one, but even the 2 Manchester and 2 Liverpool clubs always won things. EastEnders and West Ham always have to make things difficult for themselves.

6. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    As you have brought up Football leagues, If we were to put Family Affairs into a league it would be the Championship where as EE, ED, CS and Brookside would have been the premiership.

As for EE being a parody of Brookie and Corrie i disagree. EE has gone off course somewhat of late, but when EE began it gave CS a kick up the arse which is SO needed. It was fresh, raw and had a bit of everything. I have never bought into this myth that EE is all doom and gloom and depsressing, even now I would disagree with that. I find that when people say that they very rary what the soap! I for my sins (I should have a duke of edinburgh award) have watched since day 1.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Poor Diane, i do feel sorry for her, I bet she wishes she stayed put at the Woolie.

8. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Cracking scenes with Doug. Diane's face was a picture when she was told about "Boring Brenda."

Also loved the food fight with Brenda and Laurel.

9. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +861
    Brenda has totally ruined Bob's life. Just because she is jealous because Laurel is better in bed than her.

10. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Well Brenda told me that Doug had a bigger konk than Bob and new what to do with it.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)