1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emmerdale Emmerdale

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469

I saw this and thought of you, hopefully it will cheer you up.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,842

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    What's going on with Emmerdale?

Cain walks into a prison posing as a lawyer for Lachlan and no one questions him.

Charity walks into a bank posing as Chrissie and leaves with £50,000 - just like that!

Aaron is arrested for GBH and appears to be out on bail while Joanie a senior citizen is still behind bars for hitting a policeman while having a meltdown. Doesn't Aaron have a terminal record?

Lydia spots Debbie (I'm assuming she doesn't know her) and offers her a lift back home? If the money was that important to Debbie, why didn't she just say "get in the car, I'll be there in a minute" and then stuff the money into a bag. How did these thugs =know where Debbie lived? Did she steal eh car in France? Did she just drive through customs with no questions asked?

Kerry lose her job and then gets it back, over and over. Have the writers run out of ideas for this character?

The only decent story is Ashley's and even then they are screwing it up. Will the carer looking after Ashley tells Gabby that Ashley got violent and hit him and he was okay to just let Gabby inform Laurel? Don't carers keep notes on a patient's behaviour? Don't they log everything down, from when they have taken medication to what they have eaten?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Add to that how stupid Finn is acting and how ridiculous it is that Paddy would betray Aaron and Chas by telling Pierce what that detective was planning to do and just how contrived the whole Aaron/Kasim stuff was, and it's been a real struggle to watch lately. And now they've won Best Serial at the NTA. They're going to take that as a mandate to keep going the way they're going.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    I wasn't sure how much of this was out of character for Finn, though I find it incredibly stupid how quickly he seems to have turned. I don't know whether they are trying to lead us into thinking he's as troubled as his mother .

I'm hoping they are looking at the show from further back than the last 3-4 months and that they've taken Ashley's story into consideration with this award, but I think you're right, they will believe what they are doing now is worthy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +636
    It does feel a bit Hollyoaksy at times. I did wonder whether this would happen given where the producer has come from and the fact that he hadn't worked on Emmerdale previously. I think all the producers over the last 15 or so years had worked on the show in some capacity before hand.

I think they've tried to make out that Finn's irrational behaviour is a result of his grief. If they were clever enough they could draw some parallels with Kasim trying to rebuild his relationship with his father and Finn having just lost his.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    That's one of many things frustrating me about this story. For someone who has just lost his father, Finn is awfully cavalier about Kasim throwing his away. In my head, I can add some complexity and psychological depth to the story--like maybe deep down Finn wants Kasim to be fatherless so that they will have that in common--but I'm not sure that the writers are actually attempting that much depth. Maybe I'm selling them short. In the meantime, Finn just looks like a pathetic idiot on all fronts, in my opinion.

I figured the Pierce/Rhona story was heading towards a marital rape/date rape sort of thing. I've been kind of fascinated by the dynamics of their relationship lately, but again, I can't tell if it's deliberately complex writing or just messy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Canon

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +636
    I think they've done well with Pierce, he doesn't feel like just another throwaway soap baddie. I suppose it helps that the story was set up before he ever appeared on screen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    Yes, I've really gotten into this story and I like how it's paced out, something like this on Corrie would have been over and done within a month.

I've never cared for the character of Rhona, but that's changing through this story.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Adamski

Adamski Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Frazer Hines radio interview from just after the 1:10 mark, where he talks a little about Emmerdale:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0891cg4#play

Does anyone with knowledge of Joe Sugden's years on the show think it was a mistake to kill him off? Would he fit in with the Emmerdale of 2017?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Canon

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Well, it certainly felt a bit pointless. Joe died offscreen having left the show 12 months earlier. Dramatically they did get a few things out of Joe's death. On hearing the news, Joe's step-daughter Rachel went into early labour, she then named her son after Joe. Later, Annie signed over Joe's share of Emmerdale Farm to Rachel's son. The father of the baby was Chris Tate, this seemed like a juicy prospect going forward - a Tate having a share of the farm much to Jack's horror, they could have got a lot of conflict out of that situation. However, the farm was sold a short time later when Annie sided with Chris Tate over its sale.

Also after Joe's funeral, a lonely Annie proposed to Amos (Amos had proposed to Annie in the early days of the show). After Amos accepted (eventually), he and Annie returned to Spain. This marked the final appearance of Amos in the show, Annie would return briefly the following year, but would not be seen again until Jack's funeral in 2009. So Emmerdale lost three original characters at the time of Joe's death.

The show was going through significant change at the time - the Dingles had arrived and would gatecrash Joe's funeral for the free bar. So it was a case of one era ending and another beginning...

It's not necessary but it would be nice for the show to have an original character to tie it all together. With the big wedding coming up, Aaron will be surrounded by Dingles while Robert will just have Diane and Victoria.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    The first time I don't watch Emmerdale on time and I read a bloody spoiler about tonight's episode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    I didn't know they were going to kill her off. What a shame. I really like that actress.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    I have to say, I like how Emmerdale has been able to pull a couple of shock deaths off the past few months.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    I'm hoping Denise Black is on her way back to Corrie.

16. Canon

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +636
    The conversation between Lisa and Joanie in the van was really great, in that moment I was hoping they'd forget about Zak and move in together - the show is lacking an older female friendship. What a waste.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Adamski

Adamski Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Canon, thank you SO MUCH for sharing those videos of Joe Sugden's death! I'd searched on YT and DM, to no avail. Really fascinating episodes, loved how they delved into what he meant to various characters. And Annie has such a strong presence. Weird how Clive Hornby was absent from the funeral eps...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Canon

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Yes, including Kim Tate! Joe was the closest friend she had at the time, she took it quite badly. I'd like to think things would have worked out differently for Kim if Joe had been around to rein in her behaviour through the mid 90s.

Jack's absence is a real shame, Clive Hornby put out his back or took ill just before filming the funeral scenes. Thankfully we got the little scene with Jack having a drink by the coffin while Joe is being waked at the farmhouse. That's the one that always gets me. It brings to mind a scene between the two brothers 10 years previously, the two have a drink together to celebrate Robert's birth...they discuss everything from their ambitions, their failings, family and their hopes for the future...starts around 18mins in...

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    I'm a latecomer to this story and I have no idea how Joanie was introduced into the show, but one thing has always stood above the rest (in terms of Dingle scenes) and that's every scene Lisa has shared with Joanie, I was always hoping these two would become really close and Zak would be left out in the cold.

It's a real shame to lose the actress because she's always been a favourite of mine, but I can handle it, if she moves to the street.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +967
    In the end, Lisa just couldn't do without the sex so she had to have Zak back. She's only human. Flesh and blood. Like you and me.