Emmy TV Legends Interview with Larry Hagman

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Barbara Fan, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    I was googling Dennis Franz from NYPD Blue and came across this little gem of an interview with Larry Hagman that I dont think I have seen before

He talks about all the cast and co stars- as well as Katzman, his fight with Capice, the death of Jim Davis,

He also says that BBG had a heart attack in one of the 5 shows, and had to lay low and take it easy- it was tough for her and she was seeing double. Im not sure if this is Larry getting his dates and facts in a wrong timescale.

he also says that Victoria is a multi millionairess and is a hard working smart woman!

He called Cliff Barnes the mole and you never knew how he was going to deliver it!

recommend it!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    A giant of the television landscape...forever etched in our memory as Major Nelson and JR Ewing. How I miss this bloke on our small screens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    Fab interview in 6 parts, although the interviewer has a rather dull voice, one to download and listen to in the car.

Dallas is certainly the highlight of my career. There's nothing I've ever done as big, and most actors never had a chance to do anything that big either. Who knows why."

About This Interview
    In his three-hour Archive interview, Larry Hagman (1931-2012) speaks about his early days acting on the stage, including a London run of "South Pacific," in which he appeared with his mother Mary Martin. He talks about some of his first appearances in "live" television and his later work in filmed shows, including soap operas (such as Edge of Night) and drama series. He speaks in great detail about one of the two series for which he is most identified, I Dream of Jeannie, where he played "Major Tony Nelson." He speaks about his series co-stars, the behind-the-scenes talent, and memorable guest stars. He briefly talks about several television movies and series he appeared in during the 1970s. He then details his work as the star of the popular primetime serial Dallas, playing "J. R. Ewing." Hagman discusses the production of the series (for which he also directed) and talks about memorable storylines and episodes. Among the storylines he discusses are the ratings blockbuster of the third season when audiences wondered "Who shot J.R.?" and the surprise return of Patrick Duffy in the show's ninth season. B-roll consists of Hagman showing off mock-up "J.R. Ewing" $10,000 bills, which he gives out to fans. Dan Pasternack conducted the interview in Santa Monica, CA on December 7, 2004.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    I found the segment where Larry speaks of his vision for Dallas rather perplexing. Clearly he is speaking of the "Dream Season" and issues occuring behind the scenes and how Dallas had become a bit glitzy like Dynasty whereas Dallas was "raw". He also threatened to walk if things didn't go his way. Well...perhaps this might have been the right time to end Dallas because clearly the best years had screened. Despite my adoration for Dallas I'm always highly critical of those last seasons. I persisted with the series in the hope it would improve but no....it became a parody of itself. Funny how Larry got his way with Patrick and Leonard Katzman returning and Larry taking on Executive Producer status but the series limped to a conundrum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,047
    Agreed.

Larry clearly was very shrewd indeed when it came to the business side of the show. I'm always impressed by his ability to take risks in his negotiations, and the stories around that are legend. In that respect he was a true pioneer.

But despite all his business acumen and the magic he brought to the show in terms of performance, it's a real shame that when it came to exercising his power his only two concerns were making the maximum amount of money and keeping the atmosphere on set the way he wanted it to be. If only he'd genuinely factored in the quality of the output when he was pushing for change.

Of the Dream Season, he says:

But Larry's solution - and the way he tells it in this video it came completely from him - was to bring back Patrick. And when someone (presumably considering the credibility of the show) dared to question him on it he responded with:

Larry has commented a lot about the drop in quality during the season sans Patrick. But in speaking of the final years - when things were run his way - he seems more concerned with quantity than quality:

I find myself contrasting Larry's outlook with that of Michele Lee who took a pay cut during the final season of Knots and worked on some episodes free of charge so the audience didn't feel short changed by the budget cuts.

Anyway, in terms of quality and rawness I'd take the Dream Season over any of those final four. But at least he was successful in removing the glitz.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    I love Larry but money was his motivator and God and quality wasnt necessarily a part of that.

I will take the dream season any day over S11-13 original and thats without Pat D, the man of my dreams back then!

I have listened to the interviews in the car and have enjoyed them although would query some of his facts - i have always wanted to hear the Phil Capice side of the story!

The Lee Rich interview is good, when they were living in the Cockroach hotel in mini series, he would often have dinner with Linda after work - who worked on him re taking 7 lines off Victoria and to big up her part lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    And in doing so it killed the legitimacy and that rawness which Larry speaks of which Dallas held over Dynasty. In hindsight Bobby's death (to me) appeared to be a natural progression of Dallas. Still at the top of it's game Dallas needed a seismic shift to push the story along. Okay...leading up to "Swan Song" we had to deal with the Donna Reed debacle however all was right in the world when Dallas returned with the rightful Miss Ellie - Barbara Bel.

Over at Dynasty the producers/writers were about to deal with viewer backlash from the "Moldavian Massacre". They may have been applauding themselves in achieving the impossible by beating Dallas in the ratings war the previous season but how short-lived it was to be. Once Blake, Krystle et all began to stand without a hair out of place the viewers laughed - or scoffed - and Dynasty began to slide in the ratings quicker then Krystle and Alexis did on the side of a muddy mountain.

But back to Dallas. Bobby dead had created exactly the scenario I could only dream of. Only Miss Ellie could now control JR. Without Jock or Bobby to reign him in things could have got interesting on all fronts and every character was going to be involved, Clayton, Miss Ellie, Sue Ellen, Pam, Jenna, Cliff, Ray, Donna and The Cartel. I longed to see JR go to a slightly dark place. Larry had the acting chops to do it.

When Bobby's Will is read and Pam was left with controlling Christopher's interest the writers were bang on. This was the grudge match. JR never wanted that Barnes woman at Southfork, hell would freeze before JR would have her at Ewing Oil. And I still believe Larry and Victoria would have enjoyed the opportunity to ramp up the characters hate for each other.

But....it all came to naught. Stung by their defeat from Dynasty the previous season and believing the viewers wanted the glitz and glamour major changes were undertaken to add the Dynasty effect to Dallas. The other issue was introducing characters (think Angelica Nero) that turned out to be a distraction. I don't believe it that Dallas was missing Bobby. I believe the writers took us down the wrong path when the story was right there in front of them the whole time; JR vs Pam, Ewing vs Barnes!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    His fav Dallas storyline- committing Sue Ellen to the sanitarium and smiling

His fav Dallas lover - Holly Harwood and Lois Chiles

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Yes! The down and dirty fueds feuds SHOULD have made for some long running and interesting storylines.

10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Interesting. A number of soapchaters here had issues with the character of Holly. I enjoyed the character and the actress and firmly believe there was more to tell with Holly Harwood. As another poster had said in another thread it might have been worthwhile investigating the thought of having Holly return prior to and the exit of Pam. Whether she ended up having an affair or becoming romantically involved with Bobby is another story but at least with Holly we had history. I would have preferred Holly over the handmaiden April anyday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    I agree, I would have happily seen Holly together with Bobby after Pam and she had far more chemistry with Pat D than insipid SJW/April.

I thought she was a great character and she could act, and I often wonder what she did post Dallas. Always liked her in Moonraker.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    Paulsen Paulsen Paulsen ... When Patrick and Katzman left in 1985, Paulsen asked for Katzman's job as DALLAS' show runner but was turned down by Phil Capice (who instead brought in from KNOTS to take over DALLAS. Big mistake). Paulsen was offered a useless writer-producer job on Season 6 of DYNASTY without creative control, so he declined.

So Paulsen winds up on KNOTS LANDING for the 85/86 the season -- the only one of the four nighttime soaps which didn't need him.