[Entire Series] Random Stupid Thoughts

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by tommie, May 29, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Per popular request...

So, I've finally watched the entire series and here's my first random thought:

2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    How do you feel about Val vs. Jill?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I think the new writers/producers didn't know what to do with Linda. They killed her off in such a gruesome manner probably because they were new to the show and didn't really understand that KL usually had more...finesse? than that. They were so eager to create their own characters (such forgettable lightweights as Joseph Barringer, Lynette the illiterate waitress, Benny Appleman, Pierce Lawton) that they didn't want to spend any time on Linda or on Steve Brewer, who they also killed off unceremoniously.
    Their overall lack of understanding of the show and how it told its stories had a lot to do with their being FIRED :slap: half-way through the season.

4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Jill was justified!

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    What's wrong with killing off a character? She played with fire, bad things can happen.
    Pierce and Victoria had a lot of potential, I wanted to know more about them but unfortunately she left and never returned.

6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    This is what kills me about Linda's murder - they just introduced an inferiour character down the road that played EXACTLY the same part Linda would've played.... except we would've had more investment in Linda as a character and she would've been more tied to the character canvas. Vanessa had an awful actress and not really any ties to the cast.

Linda's murder was at the end of the day done for the shock - it was gruesome and unexpected. But for what use other than a cheap thrill?

7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Nothing wrong with it, but if a character has story down the road you want to tell, why kill them off and replace them with a similar character?

Victoria was an amazing character but I love Marcia Cross. No wonder the Melrose Place writers saw a potential to turn her into a bonafide psycho. She was scary on Knots but left too soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    Yeah well it's not like they hadn't tried before, although I did like this last "Linda" version. But somehow it made sense that she ended up being killed. Actually, I sensed it before I saw it.
    It was a great thrill and I don't see why Knots should be above that. Especially in those last "decay-of-the-soaps" seasons.
    And it's not like the other characters had to step over bodies, it wasn't Falcon Crest.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Like when Aunt Ginny showed up to be Lilimae's replacement? Oh, yes.

One might also hint that the strife between Claudia/Kate Whittaker was a replacement for the strife between Abby/Olivia.

I was perfectly fine with them killing Linda off. I just thought the graphic way it was depicted was un-Knotsian, if I may make up a word. I guess some of the newbie writers read some plot synopses and decided that KL had a history of villains ending up on the wrong end of very sharp objects (Chip, Peter) and thought this would be a parallel situation. It wasn't, since Chip and Peter fell on those sharp objects while Linda was obviously stabbed quite on purpose in a very different situation.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,631
    Such a fuss about nothing... Linda NEEDED TO DIE. Before she even showed up in Karen's living room.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    That only makes sense if they knew that they had more story for Linda and chose to kill her and replace her, which is not an assumption I would make.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    Vanessa was a great slut.

13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Characters like Vanessa serve as a reminder to me that the series indeed changed a great deal as it progressed. Vanessa would have stuck out like a sore thumb in any other period of the series' run, but seemed fit in okay in the final two seasons. The show had gone from a small, tight-knit group of principal actors all interacting with one another to....well, a large group of recurring characters who drove the majority of the disconnected story bubbles, with beloved veteran characters mixed in where needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    Alex was also a great slut.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,352
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Thank the Soap Gods for sluts like Alex...:danc:

By the way, @Willie Oleson, why are you using a pic of my husband as your avatar? :cool1

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    He never told me he was married!
    Are you sure about that?
    upload_2018-5-31_20-42-59.png

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,352
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Come on, be honest you all! Aren´t we actually lying to ourselves? Maybe the truth is that Chip, Linda, Alex or Jill were immensely more interesting than the regular cast of neighbors at the cul-de-sac...? Just think about it...

[​IMG]

And Ruth, oh Ruth Goddess of Bitchiness!!​

18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    As I mentioned in the post, one difference between the Chip and Peter situations was that they were not "murdered"--they fell onto those sharp objects. Cathy didn't even lay a hand on Chip--her mere presence (or more to the point, her not-so-mere face) was enough to make him fall onto that pitchfork. His death (at long last) was the end of a seasons-long reign of mischief, murder, and mayhem inflicted on about half the cast. Having him die in such a shocking way was remarkable, but it had to be something "big" to bring such a long story to a close, and was much preferable to having another cast member murder him. In a sense he brought it on himself, not because he was a klutz or something, but because the shock of seeing the face of the woman he murdered caused him to lose his balance. And other than the trickle of blood coming out of Chip's mouth, they didn't go all gory/bloody/gross with the body.

Some might argue that Paige should have faced charges for killing Peter, but I think they did enough with the flashback to establish that she never intended him to die. It doesn't even look like she intended for him to fall down--more like she just wanted to push him away from her and get out of there. But fall he did, and yes, there was a LOT of blood (just ask Abby!). But Paige didn't intentionally grab the receipt spindle and plunge it into his back. Also, Peter had not been the sociopathic murderer that Chip had been. His long list of schemes rarely reached a level of threatening lives; in fact, he intentionally stepped back from a situation where he could have very easily killed Sylvia. In terms of scheming and plotting he was a lightweight, so his death was not a case of "poetic justice" for a long list of crimes against half the cast and didn't need to be quite as theatrical as Chip's (or even Joshua's accidental death).

By contrast, we saw Brian Johnston brandishing the murder weapon and then, the way Linda reacted to the knife going in her. The trickling of blood down her feet was also extreme. Brian had this "all business" air about him that showed no remorse, no real emotions at all despite the way he killed her in close quarters (and despite having slept with her quite recently). Killing her off in such a gruesome manner could cause some viewers to brush aside all the rotten things she did, or at least water them down. Rather than "She got what was coming to her," it was more like "Ewww, no one deserves that". If she'd gotten bumped off in an off-camera encounter with Brian, viewers would have more likely been left feeling the former rather than the latter. Also, unlike Chip's death (which seemed to bring a long plot to a close) and Peter's death (which kicked off a short mystery surrounding his disappearance/death), Linda's murder didn't really rock the town in the same way. Maybe it was the lack of build-up, or the lack of long-term effects afterward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    And Linda never rocked the town at all except when she and Michael started their affair. It was not possible to create a satisfying build-up for this character.

Knots Landing was always so honest and surprising in so many different ways, I think it was befitting that they were the ones to have that slasher-esque murder.

And I don't see the difference between a gruesome murder and a gruesome accident - they're both gruesome.
    But we're talking about one scene, surely that doesn't represent the entire season?

Maybe it's time for the next random stupid thought?

20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Okay...in the final season, Jason Avery should have returned to Knots Landing, having aged to 21 or so. Greg starts grooming Jason to be his heir; Claudia nearly loses her mind. Paige can't help but notice he's "grown up quite nicely".