1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erika Slezak looks terrible....

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by TJames03, May 20, 2020.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    ......in a TV special about soaps I watched tonight. Age has really caught up with her.....

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    Catches up with us all. Actually, I didn't think she looked so bad. She basically retired from acting after OLTL was cancelled, so she didn't have to do all the things most actors have to do when active in the business (i.e. plastic surgery, botox, fillers, etc.). They also get to eat. :D

Mary Crosby was rather frightening, though. You got the idea that if she stood up, her mouth would drop open. /meow

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    Yeah, Crosby a mess. Seems like a nice woman, though. What was with Slezak leaning over to the left side constantly??

4. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    I was being bombarded by so many quick clips of such soapy memories that I found it hard to catch much in the interview segments other than what they were saying. I wish I had taped it so I could scan all the scenes/clips more slowly and identify the people/characters better. And of course I'd spend days and days identifying the glaring omissions. For example, they should have dropped in a few snips of the OLTL gang in their "Eterna" outfits. :eek: Maybe the bit where Erica Kane shouted down a rampaging bear!

Speaking of which, I know it was airing on ABC, but I feel they could have done more to balance the show around soaps on all three networks. And was Bryan Cranston (who was a minor character on a minor soap for like...ten minutes) sleeping with one of the producers to merit being so prominently featured? And John Hamm was never on an actual soap. I can think of so many other actors who could have done their parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    Maybe they didn’t want to show those clips because they were insulting to the viewers.

6. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:

One of my fav scenes ever on AMC!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Enthusiast

Threads:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Medals:
    Erika Slezak looks great. Check out Nurse Bobbie on General Hospital if you want to see a shocking transformation

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    Slezak looks ill, actually. Very gaunt. And, as I said before, what’s with her leaning over to the left? Did she have a stroke or something?

9. cijimccashin

cijimccashin Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I enjoyed the story of soaps special. Hope to one day get a 10 part docu series on the birth of soaps to dedicate focus on each show

10. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    The editors over at TVLine.com, commenting on the special, were upset about two things: one was that jerk Andy Cohen barging in and declaring soaps dead thanks to his "Real Housewives" garbage (which upset most everyone on the internet), and the other being how Santa Barbara was seemingly ignored in the clip mix as well as the commentary. I could name one or two other soaps that got short shrift in the clip department, but one would think SB would have gotten a few prominent mentions since it was a pretty big deal during its relatively short run. My guess is that the owners of the show did not approve the use of their material, and the producers of the special decided to ignore them entirely in retaliation.

Other than Andy Cohen being an ass-hat, what insulted me the most was the commentary of that old sea-hag Jill Farren Phelps being shown. More than OJ, more than reality TV, that woman is responsible for the death or near-death of more soaps than anyone I can think of. Rather than a list of the shows she worked on at the left of the screen, they should have listed the cancellation dates of the shows she ruined.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ray&Donna

Threads:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Medals:
    Susan Lucci has probably aged the best of all the old-time soap actresses. Aside from perhaps Deidre Hall, who may belong in a wax museum

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Threads:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Medals:
    I recorded but haven't gotten around to watching it. Of course ABC would mess it up even though they used to dominate the ratings before the rise of Y&R

13. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    I wish I had taped it so I could replay/slow down the clip montages to recognize more of the scenes.