1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Esther Shapiro and Sallie Patrick throws SHADE at TNTDallas

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by tommie, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,769
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    There were new faces, but the original show also introduced new characters who became part of the story.
    You can't do a show about just 4 or 5 characters.
    And the Ewing name, what it meant in the past and the present, was a central plotline from start to finish. I honestly don't understand how people could have missed this.
    Maybe they were too busy looking for things that weren't there, yes that makes it hard to enjoy what actually happens on-screen.

2. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Did the Ryland prostitution plotline really have anything to do with the Ewings? Or the Ramos Mexican drug thing? It was tenuous, people tuned out because it wasn't what they were looking for in Dallas. In an original, unrelated show it might have been ok, but not for a show that promoted itself so much on bringing back the originals. Not later admittedly, but in the beginning, so much promo with Larry, Linda and Patrick, but when it came to the actual storylines they weren't featured even half as heavily. You can have a show for the new generation, but make it about the new generation of the original family, not their made up childhood friend and another family that is only connected through an off-screen marriage. The writing of John Ross and Christopher from the very beginning kind of meant that that couldn't happen though, they were still getting started with their lives rather than us as an audience meeting them after things were really established for them. As a show it wasn't awful or unwatchable, but it was a disappointment to so many people, as evidenced by the forums here originally and the ratings. The audience reacted positively, then negatively, people might have missed the greater connection, but that didn't matter, they'd already given it a chance and decided.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    Better yet. They should create a new series involving TNT Dallas and CW Dynasty. I hear Cynthia Cidre is available :p

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    I believe this is where TNT Dallas could have borrowed a few traits from Lorimar Dallas. At least one of the two boys (and I mean boys since this is how I viewed them) should have been in a marriage already several years old. It should have been John Ross, akin to JR and Sue Ellen in Lorimar Dallas. Anything...anything to focus the story on the Ewing family and Southfork.

5. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +377
    I always have to remind myself that both John Ross and Christopher were supposed to be in their 30s (John Ross born 1979 and Christopher born 1981), even if they acted like high schoolers emotionally, they still should have been at least a decade into their careers if you assume they graduated college at 21 and with the Ewing family's business background it seems unlikely they'd still be treading water and trying things out to see what works so many years down the line.
    Going back to the emotional thing, times are different now, so maybe an established marriage might not be so realistic, it sure as hell would have grounded the characters though. Swapping Elena and Pamela Rebecca every 2 seconds was such a teen drama plotline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    Willie I think what Lorimar Dallas had going for it was the fact this TV series was new, but the focus was always on the Ewing family. Secondary characters - though relevant and important to the main story - never outshone the Ewing family.

TNT Dallas was a continuation, the audience (not the newbies just yet) already knew the characters nuances and history. But what did those clever little types at TNT Dallas decide? Retcon their created characters to justify their existence. The Ramos and Ryland families was just too much for the senses. As the series progressed TNT Dallas was no longer about the Ewing's. They became secondary. You may not see it like I, or many others do, but it's visible to those that have viewed Dallas since 1978.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    As TNT Dallas began if we had seen John Ross in a successful marriage, a couple of kids and not cheating like his daddy it would have given TNT Dallas a point of difference. But then along comes that vamp Emma (Kristin reincarnated). The moment she sets foot on Southfork she sets her sights on him. At least this would have given us some emotional attachment to the characters. But since they were all jumping from one relationship to another I felt nothing. The threesome really was the last straw for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,769
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    [​IMG]
    Don't you think Bobby Ewing's wife deserves to have her own family - or in this case, ex-family?
    And why shouldn't they be important characters?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    But nuDALLAS had an entire backstory to work with, as well as a new narrative, so it got cluttered.

I rather liked the Rylands and they were better, frankly, than Anne herself.

And it's not the same thing as oldPam's family. Instead, it was the equivalent to Ed Haynes' inlaws being a major focal point of oldDALLAS -- I mean, I guess they could have gone there, but did we really want them to, or miss it when they didn't?

nuDALLAS just brought in too many new characters too fast.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Willie Oleson
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,769
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    But...there weren't many true blood Ewings left. Unless, all of a sudden, we're craving for Lucy-filler-scenes, or James Beaumont for that matter.
    And it was the next generation's show anyway so there had to be two girls.
    What should they have picked? Starting where? What to ignore and what not?
    If you think what kind of story Dallas was, all the things that happened all those years, I'd say it was a disadvantage.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Sure. Two girls. Not 47 other people.

And those are the choices producers have to make. And they made the wrong ones repeatedly which is why ratings spiraled and the show was cancelled far earlier than it had to be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Original Member Since:
    It's interesting reading Esther Shapiro's comments on new Dallas here. She's basically echoing David Paulsen's opinons on the show. I remember him telling me that new Dallas was interesting when the original actors appeared on screen, but the new characters lacked any depth and relatability, plus the show was lacking in humour. He had no interest in being involved with new Dallas if he had been asked. (He wasn't of course and neither was David Jacobs)

Around this time Paulsen was reading a prequel pilot script by the Shapiro's for a potential new Dynasty series, which never went into development.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Shapiro and Paulsen are both bright people (and I'm convinced they're both Scorpio Rising, but I'll never get their birth times) but you may not be aware of Esther's long, long and infamous history of P.R. B.S.

Girlfriend can reeeeeeaaally shovel it yet make it sound substantive.

Paulsen's comments were astute. Esther's were just astute hogwash to dismiss nuDALLAS for the wrong reasons while justifying the nuDYNASTY project which probably can't work and isn't the project she wanted.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    I believe that's what unbalanced TNT Dallas. I was looking forward to catching up with the Ewing family last time I left them in 1998. The problem I had (and Esther Shapiro rightfully pointed out in her recent interview) was. Where the hell was Larry Hagman?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    If we're discussing the characters of Cliff, Afton and Pamela Rebecca appearing in TNT Dallas then no, I had no issue with their inclusion. What I took offense to was why the writers decided to make Cliff an absolute monster, ordering the potential death of his own daughter and grandchildren was an act not even JR would stoop to. But there was no explanation forthcoming why he had become such a demented man. What caused Pamela Rebecca to play along with her father's schemes? Where the hell was Afton in all this mess? Again and again the writing let down TNT Dallas.

When I look at that photo of the Barnes/Wentworth family it reminded me how good Lorimar Dallas was at one stage. At the start we had Cliff and Pam leaning on each other against the might of the Ewing family. Pam always felt protective of her brother but would not hesitate to chastise him if he had stepped over the line. We then had the introduction of Rebecca followed by that stunning daughter of hers, Katherine. None of these characters distracted from the main event, they enhanced it. Who knew that Rebecca had known Clayton Farlow? There was always this connection back to the Ewing family.

At times when I was watching TNT Dallas, especially in season 3, I could easily have been watching C.S.I. Dallas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    On one point I'll politely disagree. I liked Ann. I could have lived without Harris Ryland. He wasn't menacing enough in my books. Against someone like JR Ewing he looked like a naughty school boy. Judith was something else. When I first clocked eyes on her in that menacing scene with Bobby Ewing I was mesmerized. From the cranky looking butler, the wood paneled walls, the roaring fire...then..."My son isn't home." Just chilling. The writers however couldn't sustain it. Instead of sticking with Judith playing this neurotic, filthy rich, mysterious grandmother and former mother-in-law from hell against the Ewing family they had her running a brothel and snorting coke. No class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Although there was a bit of bait and switch that went on with the Rylands. At first the son seemed quite malevolent, and then they brought in Mama and so Harris became an evil mama's gofer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karin Schill
    Fine

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,454
    Original Member Since:
    September 2004
    Oh did Paulsen say what he thought of the prequel pilot script?

You know that is the new Dynasty show that I would have wanted to watch. I would have loved to watch a show all about Alexis & Blake's backstory. :)

I am quite honestly disappointed that show wasn't greenlit instead of whatever's coming on the air today. I have no interest in watching the same old storylines play out with new actors in this new updated "politically correct" version. :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Original Member Since:
    He didn't go into details, just that it was fun. It was very different than the Dallas TNT script!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Yes, I just saw the nuDYNASTY pilot and it's exactly what most of us expected. It's very slick in keeping with all shows today, and looks good, but the casting is meh and there no one to ground it. Naturally.

And I really agree -- that 1950s period piece prequel about Blake and Alexis' marriage would have been a fab way to revisit DYNASTY today, instead of silly, snarky remake which isn't terrible but nobody's likely to care about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1