Eurovision Song Contest

Discussion in 'Music' started by Long Lashes, May 4, 2017.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    It's never been Eurovision Singing Contest. It's song contest, so best voice has never mattered. Just like when people listen to music, really. My favorite artists aren't necessarily the artists that I think are the best singers. There's got to be something else there too.

Israels's singer had a good voice, the song had a great message, ok lyrics and she had a good attitude. BUT........ that's as optimistic as I can be. The chicken thing was horrendous!!!! But then again, Crazy Frog was a massive hit once, so peoples' taste can be very strange.

Eurovisions history is filled with weird entries. All the way from the 70s to present day. Dschinghis Khan comes to mind. Weird as heck, but in a fun way which makes it good. And didn't Ireland once send a singing turkey to represent them? :lol:

When you first hear/see these odd numbers, the reaction is like WTF?!?! But they are also the acts that you remember the most. And when some years has passed, you can look back on these weird songs or performances you can smile or laugh about it all - with more loving feelings.

Like with the Russian grannies baking...

First reaction: WTF?! What a joke! Are people really voting for this crap?!

Reaction now: Naaawww... they were so cute!!!! :D

PS: no, Israel is not in Europe. But it's a country the UN created out of nothing to give the jews as an excuse for the 2nd world war. It's the piece of land that America & Europe stole from the muslims to give to the jews - and still America's little sweetheart. So we pretty much have to include them.

Australia is kinda like a UK colony. So we have to include them like an annoying little sister who is following us around. :p

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Despite being a terrorist state..... *ducking for the flying tomatoes*, I think it's safe enough there for ESC.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,483
    No, but maybe there's a difference between being attacked once a year and being bombed twice a week. I was merely thinking about the "odds".
    I don't know what the situation in Israel is, but if someone would pay me €100,000 to spend a vacation in Israel I'd say thanks but no thanks.
    Then again, this was Portugal, when does anything ever happen in Portugal - and yet there was a madman on stage.
    Let's hope it stays that way. There's a good reason why I avoid shows like The Voice.
    I don't mind these novelties being part of the show and I don't object to weird & new things, and I wouldn't say that all the Eurovision classics are good songs - it doesn't get more bubblegum than "Ding-A-Dong" - but I find it a bit jarring that a strong contest like this year is overshadowed by a hype or controversy.
    But a hype is a hype because of its contagious nature, so maybe it all makes sense after all. And just because this song won it doesn't mean we can't enjoy the other songs anymore.
    They can sing about whatever they like, but I hate it when a song wins because of a certain message (or because of the artist who performs the song), at the expense of songs with a better sound.
    If the song-with-a-message also happens to be the best song then it should win, of course. But that's not what happened this year.

4. hatayas

hatayas Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Wow! I have never heard such a hateful and false account on the establishment of the state of Israel!
    How exactly was it stolen? There were Jews living in the land of Israel during the British Mandate just as there were Muslims. You're ignoring the Jewish historical connection to the land and the fact that Jews were living in Israel for thusands of years. So it was definitely not "created out of nothing."
    I'm not saying that everything my government does is justified, but you cannot present the situation as if we took over an established state or we were handed the land just because coutries took pity on us, the narrative is much more complicated than that.

I can go on about the need to see the two sides in the Israeli -Palestinian conflict (which is obvious to a lot of people here but not around the world, unfortunately) however this is not the right platform.

By the way, not that I see any connection between WWII and the establishment of the state of Israel, but since you mentioned it, as terrible as the war had been, it's important to note that for the Jews it was a different experience. Six million men women and children were slaughtered just because of their religious identity. You cannot dismiss that fact by simply writing that Israel was "given" to the Jews "as an excuse for the 2nd World war".

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    You right @Barbara Fan, i gues it's not important if ou can sing or not, well one good reason not to take it serious anymore.

Well said @Barbara Fan, that's what I also thought when the Netherlands did not place themselves for a long time for the final, my thought where then, "Netherlands stop! please". :pray:

That's right, Isreal is not even in Europe, so is Australia, i think it's time to change the name of the "Eurovision songcontest", mayby like "The Best Scru-up Songcontest". :giggle:

I also say every year I just don't wanne look at it anymore, but then when i hear a good song, i just wanne watch it again.

I'm glad i didn't hear the winning song on the radio, i think it's more then enough to watch it twice on tv, and i hope not to hear it ever again. it's just horrible. :eck:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    Well maybe a nice party for the fans anyway because it is also exactly 30 years ago that Celine Dion won the Eurovision song contest. :spinning:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    I do not know if it is safe in Israel, but I myself would never go to it, the country does not appeal to me at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    It was supposedly inspired by the #Me Too movement.
    It probably got some sympathy votes since the singer used to be bullied as a child.
    The kids probably liked the clucking like a chicken part. It was sort of funny.

I don't think it had much to do with the song to be honest as it wasn't that good. Supposedly it's the same song writers who wrote the song for Israel in 2016 and it didn't do as well so I don't think song writing skills had anything to do with it. It was probably more a match of the right singer with the right song and hype and PR.

Do I think the right song won?
    Nope. It was far from my favorite. I was rooting for Austria.

But still congratulations Israel. :)
    I am sure they will do a fine job hosting the song contest. Maybe bringing that contest there will bring the same kind of unity between people in Palestine and Israel as hosting the Olympics did for South and North Korea. Here's to hoping that something good will come out of this.

P.S. I do wanna visit Israel some day. It seems to be a fascinating country with a lot of history. :) D.S.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,049
    I always wanted to go to Israel, or more accurately the area occupied by Israel, because as a Christian it has many locations significant to my faith.

Eurovision has been held in Israel before without incident. However, it shouldn't be held in Jerusalem because it is an illegally occupied territory that should not be considered as being part of the Israeli state. The next contest should be held in Tel Aviv.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,049
    Here, here!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,675
    I have always wanted to visit Israel, places like Jerusalem, Nazareth and all the other biblical places of my Sunday school upbringing / my childhood, so much history

But.... and its a big but, the Arab countries that surround Israel scare the S*** out of me so its unlikely that I will ever visit, which is a shame.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,483
    And why is it so important that they have that particular city? Those countries are so big, if giving up one city would mean the end of the conflict...

13. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    @Willie Oleson I think it has to do with that Jerusalem is a city that is of historical significance both to Jews, Christians and Muslims. So it's a place that neither the jews nor the muslims want to give up on. Most of those places can be found in the old part of Jerusalem which host places such as The Western Wall, the Al-Aqsa mosque and the church of the holy Sepulchre.

I also went to sunday school as a child so I have the same fascination with the places from the bible as you do @Barbara Fan :)

A couple who were friends with my grandparents went to Israel and Jordania on vacation some ten years ago and he still talks about that trip and all the amazing places they visited. So hearing his stories have made me even more curious to visit Israel. So I really hope I will be able to travel there some day. :)

Last edited: May 14, 2018