Everything we know about the Dynasty remake

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Sarah, May 11, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,776
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39882304

Enjoy Dynasty fans :)

A remake of classic '80s TV soap Dynasty has been given the green light in the US. And while there's no news of a return for Joan Collins's Alexis yet (we live in hope), here's what we do know about the reboot.

1. Girl power
    Two of America's wealthiest families, the Carringtons and the Colbys, are still at war - but this time, the story will be told from the perspective of two women in the thick of it all - Fallon Carrington (played by Elizabeth Gillies), daughter of billionaire Blake, and her soon-to-be stepmother, Cristal.

But how many of the famous Dynasty catfights will we witness?

2. It's all about diversity
    Linda Evans famously played Krystle in the original - this time around, Cristal (spot the spelling change), is a Hispanic woman marrying into a wealthy family. She will be played by The Vampire Diaries' Nathalie Kelley.

And billionaire charmer Jeff Colby, played by John James in the '80s series, will be played by Nigerian-born actor Sam Adegoke this time around.

Blake's chauffeur, Michael Culhane, will be played by African-American Hit the Floor star Robert Christopher Riley, while Empire's Rafael de la Fuente, who hails from Venezuela, will also have a regular role.

3. It's made by the team behind Gossip Girl
    Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage are bringing the series to US channel CW. The pair have hooked up with Revenge writer/producer Sallie Patrick and the original Dynasty creators, husband and wife team Esther and Richard Shapiro.

4. Everybody loves good Neighbours
    Yes, he might be known as The OC and Ugly Betty's Alan Dale in the US these days... but us Brits still prefer to remember him as Jim Robinson from Neighbours.

Alan will be starring as the Carrington's butler, Joseph Anders, played by the late Lee Bergere in the original. Fans will remember it was Alexis who hired him when she was married to Blake.

Anders was fiercely loyal to Alexis when Blake remarried - maybe they're still in touch?!

5. The actors are VERY excited
    Several of them have taken to social media with their reactions.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    Hearty congratulations on hitting the right forum Sarah

[​IMG]
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,776

:p:p:p:p

At least I came in here!!! I feel dirty now!!!! :bah:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,467
    :laughs:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,383
    I think that's the most important part of that article.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    Well well. At least someone is excited about this.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +360
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Logan Rhinewood

Logan Rhinewood Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +34
    So if there is no mention of Cecil Colby, does that mean we aren't getting The Colbys - Jason, Constance, Phillip, Francesca or Sable? And are the Carringtons and Colbys really two of America's most powerful families without them? I see new Jeff as a mixture of Jeff/Jason/Dex and maybe a little Ben. Does this eliminate any chance of two real warring families as powerful as each other? I feel the Colbys will be in second place.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The Colby's are now a pewrful Atlanta black family, so they have to be thought of that way.

the other Volby's will be adjsted to fit that mold, we've had Monica Colby turned into monique colby, Jeff's sister from the start, and not hsi cousin, or half sister.

any one of the male Colby's can be reimagined, or combined into their father/uncle, and the same with the Colby women. Do some research into the rich black families of Atlanta.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  10. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,776
    I dunno, I never watched it - just a quote from the BBC News entertainment section....

12. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Oh Sarah, that "excuse me" was not for you, it was for the (wrong) affirmation by the BBC News... Joseph was not very fond of Alexis... Never!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,776
    Hee hee no worries :) Thanks for clarifying. Like your passion for the show :hats:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +271
    In the original series joseph was very loyal to blake, maybe one of the changes they made was to reverse it, and make him loyal to Alexis instead.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,383
    Why not? The Colbys series wasn't even linked to Cecil.
    But I don't think they're already planning a remake spin-off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The Coby's will be reimagined to fit the new Jeff, and monique/Monica, with further episodes they may be more prominent in the new series, especially as one of Atlanta's black elites.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gatsbyesque

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +360
    This is just so, so wrong on so many levels.

It's like... a nightmare.

It's simply not going to work.

And I'm fine with a pseudo Dynasty coming along, reaching its demise quickly, and going the way of the typewriter, I really am. I just wish it was called something else because a poorly-received flop will only exhaust and taint the title. Once this flops, we will never get the continuation series we've all desired -- the one that is a no brainer and basically writes itself, because the brand will have been freshly tainted by yet another project that doesn't live up to its greatest potential. That shoots any potential we have of getting a proper continuation of the original saga on television anytime in the near future. There's a market for it, now, IMO because family dramas are on the uptick, but this version just sounds like it's some bs.

The buzz that I've gotten regarding this redux: People immediately assume it will be a continuation of the original using the grandkids as the new leads, casting some strong b-listers in the key roles and having Krystle and Alexis present as looming matriarchs. Old audience meet new audience. Hello. Then, they're unpleasantly surprised to learn that they're just going to do the original series over and that they're changing everything exhaustively. Everyone I've talked to reacts the same. Poorly. What research are they following?

This redux is truly needless. The film redux concept they were floating around years ago actually seemed interesting and still left room for a series to do its own thing on a different medium. This comes off like a teeny bop version of the show (which will likely reach for the guilty pleasure allure of Reign) - one that seems to be setting itself up for diversity kudos / ratings in a textbook fashion. A fashion that does not at all appeal to ME, as a consciously aware black consumer who WANTS to see strong representation on screen and realizes that it is vital. I still think it stinks. I see through this and it is not attractive in the least. Like I can't tell that you're trying to get Scandal, Empire, and Queen Sugar money, without half of the care and thought necessary to do it correctly? By ALL MEANS, cast a diverse show! But it's the details that count, bro.

The pressers keep emphasizing "a Hispanic wife" like that is some type of anomaly in 2017. Why is this even a thing? Maaaybeee if you were redux-ing Dallas, I could understand the emphasis due to the geographics, history, and political implications, but why does it matter enough to mention on a Dynasty that is set in 2017 in Atlanta, damned Georgia? Are the Carringtons supposed to be blatantly racist or something? If so, then what's their connection to the Colby's? Just.... STOP saying she's Hispanic. Unless it's going to matter. And if it is, please tell me HOW (and really, why)?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Blake have a black sister with an entire family (called the Matthews) who were wisely being introduced into the storylines toward the end of the run of the original series? The Colby's are white, aristocratic windbags for a reason. And that old world entitlement is part of the family's DNA, sealing the original dynamic between them and the Carringtons. Let them be. Where are Dominique and the Matthews? Why not just incorporate her and them into the story sooner instead of altering the Colby's in a fashion that degrades some of the show's key strengths? Again, diversity done wrong. Whatever. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +271
    from what i've gathered from talking to connected to the cw/cbs, they considr the orignal dynasty to have died with the eunion, they were never hoing to do a continuation ever, it was never on the table, so the shapiros had to settle for a reboot with the demands of the CW, and CBS, Shwartz, and Silbering know what the CW wants, and it was their job to convert the IP into something compliant with the CW/

19. Gatsbyesque

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +360
    That is disastrously foolish. It's been 26 years. Have they ever heard of a re-do? So the notion of the dynamic chemistry that is Linda, Joan (and John) and, by default, their heirs, died THAT LONG ago, in the eyes of the brass?

Well, there is not much to say after that.

Thanks.

*deletes my account*

• Like Like x 1
  20. Soapwriter12

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +271
    It's the opinion of the CBS brass, as owners of the Dynasty brand.

• Like Like x 1