Explosions at an Ariana Grande concert -- several fatalities

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Snarky's Ghost, May 23, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,301
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,699
    I feel sick to the stomach as I try and process this news. Teen Ome was planning to go to the concert, but decided not to go because it's in the middle of her exams.

I keep wondering how the bomber got past security, then I think about how the doors open at the end of a gig. Security is tight going into the arena, but when it comes to the end of the show,. they open all the doors for a swift exit from the thousands attending, there's not the same security and I guess anyone can walk in to collect their children, loved ones.

22 now confirmed dead and 59 injured.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,159
    I woke up to this news this morning. It's horrible. :(
    I have never heard of the artist before but from what I can gather she seems like the next "Britney Spears" among teens and kids. So it seems like most of the victims are very young. It makes it even more sad somehow.

@Ome I was just thinking of your daughter when I heard the news. Glad to hear that she didn't go to this concert.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    So glad Teen Ome wasn't there @Ome :( It's absolutely horrible. Some of those missing are as young as 6.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    It's a very sad and sorry state of affairs, indeed... :(

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,706
    A short but powerful article about the response by the people of Manchester. I found it quite uplifting and hopeful: An attack on innocence

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,706
    I echo what others have said, Ome. I'm relieved to know that Teen Ome wasn't there.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +378
    Shocking that this could happen at a venue I have visited many times before.

My condolences to the victims and all those affected by the blast.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,699
    It shouldn't make a difference, an attack on any is an attack on everyone, yet if feels much worse when the targets are young people. children as young as 11. In a place where one of their favourite singers was performing and they should feel safe.

I'm sickened for those lost as well as those who survived and have to live through this horror. What kind of world is it where people so young have to suffer this for the rest of their lives. Never knowing where the next attack will be and I hate to think what psychological damage this will do to everyone who attended the arena last night.

I saw a woman on the news this morning saying she was still looking for her daughter.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I'm totally shocked and saddened by this attack. How anyone could kill so many innocent people and children is beyond my comprehension. Another day when the world has to face appalling terrorism and the taking of innocent life but it feels worse when it's close to home because you can't help thinking that in different circumstances, you could have been there.

It's hard to see what a possible solution to these outrages could be. Years of bombing in Afghanistan didn't stop it, overthrowing the Government in Libya and Iraq probably just made things worse.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,699

I don't know what steps can be taken to control this. Whether it's a football stadium, a concert or any other organisation where the public in their masses move.

They can control entry to such places because they have a system and like any event, people turn up over a course of 3 to 4 hours. When they exit it's always been that they open all gates to get people out as smoothly and effortlessly as possible. It's the opposite of people walking in over a period of hours.

Unless they start to monitor everyone's exit in single file through doorways.

Then again, I guess they could target parking garages. The possibilities are more and more frightening every day.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    Growing up in Northern Ireland, anyone of a certain age has become a little bit more complacent with terrorism - if that's the right word. It was part of our lives for so long. But even this, brings back awful echoes not only of our past, but the fact that we could also be targeted again by a different form of terrorism.

This wee girl was only 8 :( Such a beautiful girl.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...dead-manchester-attack-ariana-grande-concert/

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    Relieved for Family @Ome!!

I read the news when I woke up this morning and was disgusted. Then I forgot about it all while at work, and wasn't reminded about it until now. Is that really how people react to terror attack these days? None of my collaegues has mentioned this attack today. It's business as usual - even though we work with teenagers.

Quite bizarre, isn't it? "Terror attack? Oh, wow, that's really horrible ... What's for dinner tonight?" :confused:o_O

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    It's horrific. I felt so sick this morning when I learned the news in work. It does make it worse that the bomber targeted a concert that would have a lot of kids and teens at it. It's sending a message isn't it? It's also made me very nervous about going to London in July to see Celine. Something I have wanted to forever will be overshadowed by anxiety and unease.

My thoughts are with the families. I really cant understand it.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,699
    It's just another shitty day - The world mourns and the following day, the attack become another statistic.

We see The Killers at Hyde Park in July and it's just making me feel numb.

16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    I'm sure security will be totally stepped up now at concert venues. There was talk this morning about where the security line should actually begin.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,699
    When we saw Brandon Flowers in London the day after the Paris attacks, they really stepped up security, with everyone getting a full bag search and all patted down, but a few months later at another concert they didn't do this.

The problem with last night is, it happened after the show, when people are leaving and parents turning up to pick up their children. How do you police 22,000 leaving a venue at the same time?

Lord knows what an open air concert that houses 80,000 people would be like to monitor on the exit. Or a football stadium.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,375
    This kind of vile terrorism in many ways has it origins in the proxy bombs that the IRA used from the late 80s, early 90s - the only difference being that they strapped innocent people inside vehicles with bombs on board.

Long overdue in my mind for the death penalty to return - whilst it isn't any use in this case, clearly if the death penalty was on the cards for all those who aid and abet the likes of last night's attacker, it is an absolute must. The time has long since past for pussyfooting about with this kind of depraved rabble. As I have said before, "Get your retaliation in first" has never ever been more relevant.

And I sincerely hope I don't hear a truly false word of sympathy from Tony Blair - because if he has any conscience, it surely should be pricking him now, if not long ago.

Swami

19. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    There is only one way we can stop terrorists, and that is by removing the reason why they want to become terrorists in the first place. No amount of safety, no amount of camera surveillance etc will work.
    I don't hear people discussing realistic good ways of preventing extremism.

ISIS is of course saying "It was us". But I have my doubts. Of course they're gonna take the blame when the terrorist died. He can't deny it. It's win-win for ISIS. :rolleyes: If they could take responsible for hurricanes and cancer, they probably would. They just want to appear stronger and more powerful than they really are.

20. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    Such sad and shocking news, dreadful watching the footage, dreadful that a terrorist can cause such destruction

My sympathies go to all affected by this outrageous act, its heartbreaking listening to people trying to find their loved ones

BUT

in a month, or 2 months time, we will be posting another thread on another terrorist atatck thats happened in another town or city by some religious terrorist and it sickens me as i dont see how it can stop, how it will stop and how do you police the world from maniacs?
    its a very sad day for Manchester, Britain and a free and democratic world that we live in

there really are no words............................

• Like Like x 3