Explosions at an Ariana Grande concert -- several fatalities

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Snarky's Ghost, May 23, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,629
    Nicely done... You never fail.

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,610
    The one thing Trump has said is that he won't call these killers "monsters" because they'd probably like that description, so instead he'll call them "losers" -- which might have more relevance if he didn't call everybody who looks at him the wrong was exactly the same thing. (Thank goodness he didn't try to politicize this tragedy and blame Obama or Hillary. Yet.)

But his point about "losers" should be made by others and often -- to repeatedly point out that most of these terrorists, while claiming allegiance to Isis or the Taliban or whomever, usually don't turn out to be particularly religious. They're mostly just pathological young men who are unhappy and frustrated and looking for homicidal adventure, even it means blowing themselves up while fleetingly chanting "Ollie Ollie Akbar!" just before they pull the cord.

It's needs to be endlessly pointed out that they are doing what they are doing because of their own sexual problems. And no other reason.

Like gay-bashers in pick-up trucks in the '70s and '80s.

3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    I heard this in the car as i was driving home tonight, it made me cry, the passion and the words/

This Is The Place': Watch poet Tony Walsh's inspirational ode to Manchester at terror attack vigil

This is the place

In the north-west of England. It’s ace, it’s the best

And the songs that we sing from the stands, from our bands

Set the whole planet shaking.

Our inventions are legends. There’s nowt we can’t make, and so we make brilliant music

We make brilliant bands

We make goals that make souls leap from seats in the stands

[​IMG]
    Tony Walsh recites This Is The Place at the Albert Square vigil

And we make things from steel

And we make things from cotton

And we make people laugh, take the mick summat rotten

And we make you at home

And we make you feel welcome and we make summat happen

And we can’t seem to help it

And if you’re looking from history, then yeah we’ve a wealth

But the Manchester way is to make it yourself.

And make us a record, a new number one

And make us a brew while you’re up, love, go on

And make us feel proud that you’re winning the league

And make us sing louder and make us believe that this is the place that has helped shape the world

And this is the place where a Manchester girl named Emmeline Pankhurst from the streets of Moss Side led a suffragette city with sisterhood pride

And this is the place with appliance of science, we’re on it, atomic, we struck with defiance, and in the face of a challenge, we always stand tall, Mancunians, in union, delivered it all

Such as housing and libraries and health, education and unions and co-ops and first railway stations

So we’re sorry, bear with us, we invented commuters. But we hope you forgive us, we invented computers.

And this is the place Henry Rice strolled with rolls, and we’ve rocked and we’ve rolled with our own northern soul

And so this is the place to do business then dance, where go-getters and goal-setters know they’ve a chance

And this is the place where we first played as kids. And me mum, lived and died here, she loved it, she did.

[​IMG]
    Albert Square vigil after the Manchester terror attack
    And this is the place where our folks came to work, where they struggled in puddles, they hurt in the dirt and they built us a city, they built us these towns and they coughed on the cobbles to the deafening sound to the steaming machines and the screaming of slaves, they were scheming for greatness, they dreamed to their graves.

And they left us a spirit. They left us a vibe. That Mancunian way to survive and to thrive and to work and to build, to connect, and create and Greater Manchester’s greatness is keeping it great.

And so this is the place now with kids of our own. Some are born here, some drawn here, but they all call it home.

And they’ve covered the cobbles, but they’ll never defeat, all the dreamers and schemers who still teem through these streets.

Because this is a place that has been through some hard times: oppressions, recessions, depressions, and dark times.

But we keep fighting back with Greater Manchester spirit. Northern grit, Northern wit, and Greater Manchester’s lyrics.

Vigil for victims of Manchester terror attack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View gallery

And these hard times again, in these streets of our city, but we won’t take defeat and we don’t want your pity.

Because this is a place where we stand strong together, with a smile on our face, greater Manchester forever.

And we’ve got this place where a team with a dream can get funding and something to help with a scheme.

Because this is a place that understands your grand plans. We don’t do “no can do” we just stress “yes we can”

Forever Manchester’s a charity for people round here, you can fundraise, donate, you can be a volunteer. You can live local, give local, we can honestly say, we do charity different, that Mancunian way.

And we fund local kids, and we fund local teams. We support local dreamers to work for their dreams. We support local groups and the great work they do. So can you help us. help local people like you?

Because this is the place in our hearts, in our homes, because this is the place that’s a part of our bones.

Because Greater Manchester gives us such strength from the fact that this is the place, we should give something back.

Always remember, never forget, forever Manchester.

[​IMG]
    22 dead, 120 injured in suicide bomber attack at Manchester Arena and three victims named - live updates
    [​IMG]
    Missing in Manchester after Arena attack: Loved ones are desperate to hear from these people

[​IMG]
    Homeless man held woman in his arms as she died following Manchester terror attack
    [​IMG]
    Bomb used in Manchester Arena attack was 'packed with nuts, bolts and screws' and designed to cause maximum damage
    [​IMG]

4. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    Heartbreaking footage shows youngsters singing 'One Last Time' with Ariana Grande moments before bomb blast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Manchester's incredible spirit shines through as M.E.N. readers donate £500,000 for bomb attack victim's families
    [​IMG]
    'Beautiful soul' John Atkinson, 28, confirmed dead in Manchester Arena terror attack
    [​IMG]
    'This Is The Place': Watch poet Tony Walsh's inspirational ode to Manchester at terror attack vigil
    [​IMG]
    Ariana Grande speaks out after young fans killed in terror attack at Manchester Arena - "I am so, so sorry"
    [​IMG]
    Mum and daughter say they were 'seconds away from death' in bomb blast at Manchester Arena
    [​IMG]
    Videos reveal horror of Manchester Arena terror attack after Ariana Grande concert
    [​IMG]
    We're worried sick, say family of Stockport man Martyn Hett - missing since the Arena blast
    [​IMG]
    What we know so far about the police activity in Fallowfield, Whalley Range and Chorlton following the terror attack
    [​IMG]
    Manchester Arena terror attack: 22 dead, 120 injured in explosion at Ariana Grande gig
    [​IMG]
    Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos confirmed as one of the victims of the Manchester Arena terror attack
    [​IMG]
    Manchester terror attack22 dead, 120 injured in suicide bomber attack at Manchester Arena and three victims named - live updates
    Three victims have been named and a man has been arrested
    [​IMG]
    TerrorismMissing in Manchester after Arena attack: Loved ones are desperate to hear from these people
    [​IMG]
    Manchester City CentreManchester Arena terror attack - in pictures
    [​IMG]
    Greater Manchester PoliceVideo shows moment police blast open the door of Manchester Arena suicide bomb suspect Salman Abedi's home
    [​IMG]
    Manchester ArenaWatch James Corden's emotional tribute to Manchester after terror attack
    Top Stories

5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    So sad to hear that Olivia Campbell has been found dead :( Was really hopeful her mum would find her safe and well.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    i heard her early yeasterday morning on Radio 5 live - i went to work with red eyes hearing her plead for info on her daughter, it was awful to know that as time went on it became less likely. So sorry to hear that news today

What a sick ideaology some people follow and call it religion
    its twisted and warped and it will get worse
    There are now so many places i wouldnt set foot in in the world - from Middle east and Africa - as i wouldnt feel safe due to all the extreme factions of one particular religion, but sadly its spreading here and it does scare me for the future - for our country and beyond, as it could be anywhere and any city, no warning and no longer do you know what the enemy looks like.

God help us and what a mess

7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Not sure how true this is.

Ariana Grande has reportedly offered to cover the funeral costs of the victims of Monday's terror attack in Manchester, according to reports.

An account dedicated to the pop superstar claims that the devastated singer has pledged to help the families of the 22 people who lost their lives in the bombing of Manchester Arena following her concert.

The site, called Ariana Updates!, shared a post saying: 'News on Ariana: Ariana has reached out to the families who's loves ones died last night....she is gonna pay for the funerals!'

8. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    thats very thoughtful of her if its true as its an expensive time and it costs £££ for a funeral

She must feel dreadful - to be honest I know very little about her and Im not very familair with her or her music, but im not a teen!!

but i would be devastated if it was me and it would cause me many a sleepless night

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Poor girl is only 23 herself. It's a hell of a lot to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    The Queen has visited some of the young victims in hospital. Imagine waking up and she's at your bedside. Wow.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Does anyone know if it's true that there was a tweet from Isis a few hours before the attack saying #manchesterarena?

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Spine-tingling moment Manchester mourners sang Oasis' 'Don't Look Back In Anger' after silence

Today saw a minute's silence take place across the United Kingdom to honour those who were killed in the Manchester terror attack at Ariana Grande's concert earlier this week.

After the crowd applauded the tribute and fell silent again, one woman began to sing the opening bars of Oasis' 1995 hit 'Don't Look Back In Anger'.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    An extremely sad time due to barbarism and very difficult to comprehend.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    'Huge explosion' heard as armed cops storm Manchester home as man, 25, arrested

ARMED police have swooped on a property in Moss Side and arrested a fourteenth suspect in connection with the Manchester bomb attack as the city remains on red alert.

Masked armed police with assault rifles and dogs have stormed a property in Moss Side – where a "fast moving" investigation into the Manchester bomb attack has been focused.

Pictures show a huge police presence on Quantock Street, which has been sealed off.

The raid follows the arrest of a 25-year-old man in the Old Trafford area under the terrorism act – taking the total to 14.

Great Manchester Police confirmed anti-terror cops executed a warrant to enter the property and a search is currently on-going.

Residents say they heard a loud bang and it appears the door to a property has been blown off, according to the Manchester Evening News.

A man has been heard screaming and the dogs are "going wild", the MEN reports.

A statement GMP said: "Today, Sunday 28 May 2017, officers investigating the attack at the Manchester Arena have executed a warrant at an address in Moss Side.
    A search is currently on-going."

GMP have been raiding properties across the city after the horrific suicide bombing that killed 22 people at Manchester Arena on Monday.

[​IMG]
    CORDONED OFF: Armed police are standing guard outside the property in Moss Side​

16. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,896
    What can one say about a situation like this. It's unimaginably awful. My heart goes out to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40118243

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    A dreadful tragedy. My sympathies to all the families who lost loved ones.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,896
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    so moving hearing her father talk on the news

i also thought this was such a wonderful tribute and would be like Pat D, Victoria P, BBG and co coming to my funeral, im sure he will be looking down and smiling at the lovely gesture by the Corrie cast, Carey and M mcManus et al, RIP Martyn

Corrie stars mourn Street superfan killed in Manchester bombing as he is laid to rest in a coffin bearing pictures of his soap heroes
    • Martyn Hett died after a bomb was set off at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester in May killing 22 others
    • Pop star Mariah Carey recorded a video message for him which said: 'I love you and I'm so happy we met'
    • Hundreds of people have attended the Coronation Street fan's funeral, including pop star Michelle McManus
    • Stars of the show Kym Marsh, Jennie McAlpine and Helen Worth attended the event at Stockport Town Hall
    • The Corrie superfan's coffin is adorned with photographs of the soap stars and his beloved cat

Corrie superfan and social media star Martyn Hett has been laid to rest during a 'theatrical' service which was attended by some of the soap's cast.

The PR manager, 29, who was hailed as 'inspirational', died after a bomb exploded at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester on May 22.

Corrie stars Kym Marsh, Jennie McAlpine, Helen Worth and Antony Cotton met with his family, friends and fans at Stockport Town Hall to celebrate his life.

Pop star Mariah Carey, who Mr Hett was a huge fan of, also recorded a video message for him, which was played during the service.

In the message, she said: 'I just wanted to say that I love you and I'm so happy that we got a chance to meet and I know you're shining down on us from heaven.

'I'm happy that all your family and friends are gathered together in honour of you and that I played a strong role in your life is an honour to me.'

Mr Hett, who hit the headlines after getting a tattoo of character Deirdre Barlow, played by Anne Kirkbride, regularly talked about his love for the show on his social media pages.

He was laid to rest in a coffin adorned with the faces of his soap heroes, as well as his cat, Emily Bishop.

It arrived at the service in a horse-drawn carriage and was greeted by a minute's applause before it entered the building to the tune of Beautiful by Mariah Carey.

Mourners have been asked to dress 'in black with something fabulous' as part of the service. Some were seen dressed in cheerleader outfits, while others wore black with something colourful, such as a pink flower.

[​IMG]
    +35
    Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett was laid to rest in a coffin adorned with the faces of his soap heroes, as well as his cat, Emily Bishop

[​IMG]
    +35
    Mr Hett's partner Russell Hayward (centre) was also in attendance at the moving service. Mr Hett's coffin arrived at the service in a horse-drawn carriage and was greeted by a minute's applause before it entered the building to the tune of Beautiful by Mariah Carey

[​IMG]
    +35
    Mourners including Antony Cotton and Jennie McAlpine leave the funeral service of Martyn Hett, who was killed in the Manchester Arena bombing

[​IMG]
    +35
    Mourners are pictured outside the funeral. Scottish singer Michelle McManus performed at the service which was screened outside for anyone who cannot fit inside the venue

[​IMG]
    +35
    Popstar Mariah Carey, who Martyn was a huge fan of, recorded a video message which was played during the service

Video playing bottom right...

[​IMG]
    +35
    His family carried his coffin, adorned with images of his favourite Coronation Street characters, in to Stockport Town Hall earlier today

[​IMG]
    +35
    [​IMG]
    +35
    Coronation Street stars Helen Worth (left), who plays Gail McIntyre, and Kym Marsh (right), who plays Michelle Connor, were seen arriving at Mr Hett's funeral today

[​IMG]
    +35
    [​IMG]
    +35
    Mr Cotton (left and right) was seen being hugged by co-star Ms Marsh before the ceremony began

• Like Like x 2
  20. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    1 year on, in loving memory of all those who died or were badly injured on this dreadful day.

You are in my thoughts x

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]