Falcon Crest Original Broadcast

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    Falcon Crest was originally screened in the UK is was broadcast at 8 pm on Thursdays. I think it was mid way through season 3 that in London it was dropped from prime time and later reappeared on Tuesday afternoons at 2 pm.

It continued at prime time elsewhere in the UK at 8 pm on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on the region of the UK.

After around 5 seasons, the show moved from prime time everywhere else in the UK and mostly was screened at different days and times in the afternoon depending on the region of the country.

I don't think all regions screened Falcon Crest until the end and in London it came of the air at the end of season 7 (the cliffhanger when Maggie tells the children the story of the 2 daddies).The whole series was later broadcast on cable and satellite channels from the beginning.

I'm curious as to what day and time was Falcon Crest originally broadcast where you are.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +682
    Medals:
    Friday nights at 10 on CBS following Dallas. It was moved at its ninth season, but since I stopped watching it, I can’t tell you what the day and time was....

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    10-11pm is quite late, at least by UK standards, so it did well to get such good ratings. Following immediately after Dallas no doubt helped.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,695
    Medals:
    When the show was on originally in Ireland it was R.T.E. who had the rights. I watched the saga, although not religiously and it was post water shed on a Thursday or Friday night, from memory. The show wasn't as popular on this side of Europe (similarly KL), as DALLAS and DYNASTY but it still did well enough. Gay Byrne (a legendary Irish broadcaster and T.V. icon) did a 'Telethon' programme with Ana, Margaret and Susan, which was broadcast in the spring of 1989. R.T.E. had a rerun in the late nineties into to 2000 and then later in the decade.

Emma appeared at Maggie and Chase's party. The youngest of the Channing family is still traumatised about Jason's death. Angela knows that her daughter has gone from the FC mansion and appears from upstairs. Chao-Li is facing the front door, before he gets another order, (a scene from season 1, 1981 - '82):

Angela: "Chao-Li have you seen Emma?"

Chao-Li: "I have not seen her in some time Mrs. Channing."

Angela: "Oh! She must have wandered off again. See if you can find her please."

Chao-Li: "Yes mam!"

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,641
    Medals:
    Same in Birmingham. Then Season 3 was on Sundays at around 5pm. Season 4 Tuesday afternoons. After that, it gets a bit vague ...

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,598
    Medals:
    Friday nights at 10pm Eastern was FC's time slot when it ran originally. In the US, primetime is considered 8pm-11pm Eastern, and in the 1980s there were "tiers" of television shows for each hour. 8pm was considered the 'family hour', so it had a lot of sitcoms, variety shows, and "lighter" dramas with less violence, language, and sex. 9pm was more transitional--more open with sex and language, but could also feature family fare. 10pm, though, was the main home for crime dramas (and still is, to an extent), and sexier soap operas or adult fare (by broadcast standards). Dallas was FC's lead-in in most years--which obviously helped--but FC also had tough competition in NBC's Miami Vice, which attracted younger viewers because it was "trendy".

I do not remember FC changing its time slot in season nine, but that's probably because I actively try to forget everything about season nine. :fp:
    [Goes to Wikipedia]
    Actually they only aired the final four episodes on a different night (according to Wikipedia, Thursdays at 9pm, right before Knots Landing).

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Medals:
    I just took a look at the 1989-90 schedule and wow, CBS had huge problems with the Thursday 9PM slot that season that it's a wonder that Knots didn't suffer more (it only fell from #28 to #34):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989–90_United_States_network_television_schedule

I wonder if the last episodes of Falcon Crest improved somewhat in the ratings? Obviously, it was too late either way by that point, but still. It seems like a more compatible line up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,142
    Medals:
    Friday or Saturday evening, probably after the 8 o'clock news (20:30).
    As per usual we were a season behind the US broadcasting, so it must have started in 1982.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,598
    Medals:
    The problems with the Thursday 9pm slot can be summed up in one word: Cheers. NBC's Thursday night comedies were taking root at that time, not just at 9pm but in the whole 8-10pm block. I'm guessing CBS decided to place the final episodes of FC in that 9pm slot not so much for "compatibility" with KL, but because they had nothing else to throw at Cheers and Night Court (I think that was what was airing at 9:30 by then) to dull their ratings. FC was good Sweeps counter-programming--a nighttime soap versus two sitcoms--and since they had known for some time that this was the final season of FC there was a certain amount of curiosity surrounding the ending. Knots was still chugging along (not a ratings powerhouse, but reliably holding its fanbase) almost independent of whatever its lead-in was, and continued to do so. That 9pm slot would not be a winner no matter what CBS put in it simply because NBC was dominating it. Eventually, LA Law popped up in the 10pm slot on NBC and 10pm became "theirs," as well.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +802
    I imagine if you didn't know "Falcon Crest" was being beat in the ratings by "Miami Vice" (in the US) you wouldn't understand many of the changes made to the show in later seasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    That's really interesting and indicates a strong popularity for Falcon Crest.

Overall, it seem that Falcon Crest was given a reasonably good time slot in most countries initially but maybe not quite as good as some of the other prime time soaps but later was given a more inferior position in the schedules.

I often felt that in the UK, ITV didn't give Falcon Crest enough of a chance to grow in the same way the BBC did with Dallas and they never really promoted it at all. It also suffered from the regional structure of ITV back then and different regions were screening it at different times and they were at different stages with the storyline.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Medals:
    Sadly RTÉ only seem to have this one picture on their archive site...

011_f8dd584594cfab2e7b6460e5679c2c950f3c4fdf.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,199
    Medals:
    Funny thing is, that it was the exact same case over here in Germany. Our first TV program had 5 or 6 different regions, but only in the 6 - 8 p.m. timeslot.
    And some of them aired Falcon Crest somewhere during that slot, each region started the seasons at different days or even weeks.
    Gladly i lived in the Cologne region area, who were mainly responsible for all regarding Falcon Crest and always started airing first. :D
    Each episode was divided in 2 parts and interrupted by a 10 - 15 minutes commercial break.
    Very unusual, as the other big 80s soaps aired later at the evenings and never had any commercial breaks, as those weren't allowed after 8 p.m.
    But there were some regions that had a different scheduling and sadly never aired FC in it's original run at all. I had to send videotapes of it on regular basis to some pen friends in those areas, so they could watch it as well. Those were the days! :lol:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    Thank you for posting this photo, very interesting to see them with Gay Byrne. It seems that RTE made some effort to raise the profile of Falcon Crest in Ireland.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,199
    Medals:
    I would LOVE to see that show, is there anything of it on the net?

I just want to share something more with you guys. During the last 3 seasons of FC when i was a teenager, i sometimes wrote letters to the headquarters of that Cologne regional program, told them i was a huge fan of the show and kindly asked if they could provide me with any material regarding FC. And boy they did, it was amazing! I felt like in heaven when those HUGE envelopes arrived and my mom just thought i went completly crazy and was just shaking her head over all that! :lol:
    They sent me lots of promotional stuff, pictures, prints of those shiny original black&white Lorimar-cast-photos with the original Falcon Crest logo, lists of the German dubbing voice-actors, German episode titles and summaries waaaay before there was anything of that being released elswhere on newspapers or magazines! :eck:
    I thought that was very cool of them and it made me somehow proud to get hands on all that stuff so far in advance, and i still have most of it in a huge file folder even today. :danc:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +76
    They've shown all episodes of Falcon Crest in the early or mid 90s at SAT.1. I lived in Bremen where Falcon Crest ran only to the end of season 7 at the local channel. I was able to continue to watch season 8 in Hamburg because I've worked there then. But I had to wait for season 9 until SAT.1 broadcasted it two years later I think. That was the time when the commercial broadcasters were new in Germany and they rivalled for some shows with the public systems. The Simpsons, Knots Landing and Star Trek - The Next Generation were among the series where SAT.1 paid more for the licence fees than ZDF did before (Bart skated to Pro 7 a few years later). Also the 6-8 pm slot with public systems ARD and ZDF at some point in the 90s didn't have any foreign series at all (Mr. Bean probably the only exception then) - big mistake to leave that to the commercial stations.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    That's wonderful, what a great collection to receive.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Medals:
    The 1989 RTE show would be fascinating to watch. I've checked and it doesn't seem to be on the net.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    Yes, I couldn't find anything either. @Canon did well to find that photo because that seems to be the only one online.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2