Falcon Crest Without Angela

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,349
    Medals:
    I think most Falcon Crest fans would agree that the main, although not the only, weakness of the final season of Falcon Crest was the absence of Angela Channing because the character was such an integral part of the show. However, in season 5 when Angela was written out for a couple of episodes due to Jane Wyman having issues with her health, the show was still very good. In many ways Peter Stavros became Angela Channing, running Falcon Crest while assuming a role as the head of the family and it worked very well. I wish the producers had taken inspiration from that period when they were planning season 9 and done something similar to cope with Jane's absence.

Do you think Falcon Crest would have continued to work without Angela Channing being involved?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Medals:
    No, not for any considerable amount of time. FC had a last throw of the dice late in 1989 and if it wasn't ruined before then Charley & co. let the slide continue, not that this was their intention I'm sure. The show centred around Angela, even when characters played by old Hollywood stars joined the show. Mrs. Channing always in the end got the upper hand, didn't she.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Medals:
    Instead of a comatose Angela for the most of season 9 she should have took the plunge and went to Greece to visit Stavros. Realistically I don't believe FC would've continued to work, without her involvement. Incidentally what a way Angela negotiated with Lance and Richard for the future, before season 9 set off into the sunset.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,365
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I don´t know. The point is that FC was agonizing since Chase disappeared in the SF Bay. With good writers and a great showrunner, it could have transitioned into a next generation show with no need of Sharpes or St. Jameses. Knots Landing did survive to Donna Mills´ departure for 4 years by clearly giving as much relevance to Paige and co. as to the original cast. Too bad they didn´t really try hard with Olivia, Brian or Michael.

The last season needed Cole, Vickie and Julia back, and maybe keeping Samantha Ross in it too. They couldn´t use properly the cast they had: Frank, Emma, and Lance were given pathetic plots and shown the door too quickly. It turned into The Gregory Harrison Show and David Selby didn´t look like the Richard we all loved to hate. They clearly wanted us to despise the show before it got canceled and they succeeded!

[​IMG]

When she disappeared from the hospital, she should have used that gun and shot to death all the outsiders from that season...and get away with it of course. ​

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Peter Stavros worked well because he had other characters around him who trusted him. He also was respected as a successful business man. In the final season they should have given Lance the role of running Falcon Crest and Emma being the head of the family with the support of Pilar and Frank. Having those St. James guys taking over Falcon Crest so fast was ludicrous. Lance, Emma and Richard would have stopped that takeover in all other seasons due to the writers because they learned from Angela - and Richard even more so from his many experiences with evil elements. If they needed another threat to the family they still could have used Michael Sharpe. Yes, FC without Angela could have worked with other writers. To me the decline started with Melissa's death (just after getting some new relatives which could have set her in a new direction) not Angela being absent. Maggie's drowning was the final straw where I realized it's over.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    Medals:
    We were used to Angela running the operation and as good as Peter Stavros was during her temporary absence the grape granny was the person who knew best. Mrs. Channing was tough, her knowledge of the wine industry top notch and heaven help anyone who stepped on her toes. As interesting as it would be to view a Richard versus Cole battle over the vineyards and winery; 30 years after the original, the cork is likely to remain on the bottle. Angela rightly pointed out that FC was hers and alas no Angela = no real FALCON CREST.

Angela steps outside to the vineyards, once Lauren and Richard are married. She reminisces and in doing so the final scene happens. The cast and crew have a party, once the series cameras stop rolling. Main actor Jane Wyman speaks about the show concluding, ('behind the scenes' from season 9, 1989 - '90):

Chao-Li Chi gives her a peck on the cheek and then Jane continues;

"It's a funny feeling because you wake up and you say that I'm not going to see my friends again. You know because I've never done anything, this long. I just wanted to say thank you and offer you all the gratitude, in the world."

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +812
    Medals:
    One thing for sure Angela and even Julia wouldn't have let Michael Sharpe anywhere near FC. Emma became tougher than Lance and Richard combined, although not tough enough.

• Like Like x 3