Falcon Crest's finale was the best!

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by lbf522, Mar 14, 2017.

1. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +159
    As compared to the series of Dallas and Dynasty, Falcon Crest was wonderful. Angela was back and she remarked on all of the characters who came through.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +490
    The ending was likable cheesey, not like what we would expect of FC but Angela had turned a corner. Nobody else could have closed the series.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,160
    I agree, the ending was brilliant, clearly made for the viewers and to round the series of nicely.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Yes, it was definitely the best, I'd put "Knots Landing" at 2, which was good but not as good.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,433
    I have very mixed feelings about this ending.
    Perhaps it's better to end a long running soap series with a sense of continuation, but not a cliffhanger. In that case I'd say Knots Landing had the best finale.
    But then Dynasty and The Colbys had the best (i.e. most entertaining and deliciously disturbing) last episodes....

Back to Falcon Crest, this was ending the show with a 'The End".
    When I watched it the first time back in the 80s, I thought it was very good, and also very emotional.
    Good, in comparison with the dreadful season 9, or at least that's what I thought of it at the time.
    Emotional, because I was being reminded of all those characters I used to love.

When I watched it the second time (in the 90s), I didn't like it at all. I thought it was painfully sentimental and hypocritical, considering all the things she had done.
    She was not the show's hero.
    Then again, the others weren't strong enough to survive. She survived, why shouldn't she enjoy it?

I would have liked to see a little more "victory", instead of remembering her enemies in such a fond and generous way.
    So, instead of "A toast to you, Falcon Crest", it could have been "And a toast to you, Jacqueline. Did you really think you could defeat me?"
    I think Falcon Crest deserved that final bit of nastiness.

If I could rewrite the final scene I would make it even more nastier.
    Speaks (no thought-bubble): "And also a toast to you, Jacqueline. May you burn in hell for all eternity".
    She laughs, sips her wine, turns around to go back inside, only to find her path blocked by Chase Gioberti.
    They stare at eachother, but don't react. Not a gasp, frown or word.
    Then the camera films the party inside the house, and through the curtains we can see the shadows of two people, and it looks like the taller person is strangling the other one.
    But no-one notices what's going on outside because they're too busy having a good time.
    [​IMG]
    So, it looks like Angela is going to meet her nemesis sooner than she thought. Almost makes me feel sorry for the devil.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,210
    Yeah, it looks better on Youtube out of context. In context, it seems a bit shoe-horned in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,433
    Perhaps Emma should have made the very last comment:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    Except the final 2 minutes (the speech) the final episode of FC was boring as hell. To me the most boring finale of all the big primetime soaps. Even Conundrum of Dallas was better - and that says a lot!
    I kind of liked season 9, because it was so creepy, but the finale just dragged on and on and on and i couldn't wait for the fourth act to come to an end. Ugh. Worst-finale-EVER.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,210
    I was for Emma dancing with re-animated dead nazis...

Set to this:

Or maybe this:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    For some strange reason i feel now urged to insert this one here:

:D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I liked the closing monologue, since Jane returned to provide some familiarity towards the end and she didn't have to but did so out of respect.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    While it is impossible to please everyone I thought the conclusion was refreshing. Although I can understand people’s reservations if you look at it from the point of view of what Angela had been through in the last season her comments and aspirations were plausible. Despite her battleaxe demeanour over the years having a near death experience removed some of the barbs and she acknowledged being spared (as in living and spared) to carry on the family heritage, initiated by Giuseppe Gioberti.

Jane Wyman speaks about the final episode and how the show changed in recent years, (‘behind the scenes’, from season 9, 1989-’90):

"I wanted to tie up the show, mention everyone who was gone - the grandfather, Melissa, Cole and Maggie, so that the loyal audience we had wouldn't feel cheated if they had been taken in a different direction by the producers that they didn't understand (and frankly, I didn't either). It was a wonderful experience, but I wasn't sorry to see it end because of the way it was going. The first six years of the show were marvelous then they started tampering with it. I get so much mail from people saying they can't understand what happened."

• Like Like x 6
  13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    The finale wasn't my cup of tea, but it was a lot better than what Dallas and Dynasty fans got at the time, I was glad Angela mentioned all the previous characters that couldn't return for the finale.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +595
    The finish was a bit softly softly and syrupy, nice to watch but you almost expected something to happen to Angela as in disaster striking.

• Like Like x 3
  15. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    What if supposing, the finale or the last few episodes even, took place in Angela's afterlife........
    Either she's looking down on her loved ones or she in a place between earth and heaven, that would explain why everything about the finale was syrupy and also why no last minute death occurred, let's face it FC was a serial killer compared to the other 80s supersoaps, absolutely no one was safe in Tuscany Valley.....just a thought folks ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  16. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +521
    I agree with what she said. This was a tie up, an ending. They'd mangled a great show in their bungling to keep it "fresh" without understanding its premise (like all disks seem to do). So the best thing to do was a wrap. Angela was devious and controlling but she was also loving and sentimental. Reminded me a bit of my grandmother (just a bit). It also told us what to expect next, Michael and Kevin at the helm of Falcon Crest with a nod to Lance, but Lance need to find his own life, just as we'd seen the character develop. Cheesy? Yes. Drawn out? Yes. Lacking the drama of the best of the series? Yes. And complete ending? Yes. The show never needed a continuation of any kind thanks to the wrap up. A continuation of Falcon Crest would be totally new event.

Thanks Ms. Wyman.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +490
    The after life idea would have also worked and typical of what the show did, in seasons endings.

• Like Like x 1