1. Time for parties and celebration

People dancing all night long

Time for presents and exchanging kisses

Time for singing Christmas songs

"Falling forever" ...The Evanescence Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O’Kalikimaka, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Mel O’Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008

[​IMG]

1st March 2003. A visit to the cinema to watch Daredevil.

All rather prosaic. And then, this:

Evanescence made a seriously huge first impression on me. It's rare that a piece of music speaks to me in such a profound way, so the seed was planted: even if it took me another eight or nine months to work out who they were when I stumbled on a copy of Fallen and took things to the next level.

There was a quite significant period of about two years when I listened almost exclusively to them. And there are still times when only Evanescence will do. They're currently enjoying something of a renaissance with me.

So let's have a space to discuss and share the love.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    It's quite possibly a given that My Immortal is the ballad to end all ballads. I adore it, but overplayed it big time. These days I find myself drawn to other ballads. Such as:

Good Enough
    "Crave my heart and it's bleeding in your hand."

Written by Amy and inspired by the same guy she wrote Bring Me To Life about (he's now her husband). The extended intro on this album version is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. There's a rumour that Evanescence were due to write music for the first Narnia film and this piano piece is the only tangible music remaining from that. Whatever the case, it's a gorgeously fragile song.

Missing
    "If I bleed, I'll bleed knowing you don't care."

Deliciously dark and sorrowful. Full of hurt, doubt and regret. That opening line gives me chills every time: "Please, please forgive me, but I won't be home again."

Lithium
    "Darling I forgive you after all. Anything is better than to be alone."

More divine darkness. A power ballad that rocks to the core.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Merry Alexmas Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    I was just thinking about them today. Well wishing that Ben Moody would be a producer on Celine's upcoming new album. Same thing. lol
    I loved the darkness he brought to her Taking Chances album.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Oh yes. I'd forgotten he worked on that album. I have it and yes - it's a really interesting side to Céline.

The first track that came to mind was her version of Alone. I love the twinkly, wintry, gothic feel to it. I just had a peek to see which tracks Ben had produced for the album and Alone is indeed one of them. Another one is a bonus track called The Reason I Go On that's not on my CD. It's produced by both Moody and David Hodges, so has a true Evanescence pedigree. I just checked it out on YouTube and really like it.

A Song For You is beautiful. I could easily imagine that one being sung by Amy Lee. I was a little surprised to find that Moody didn't produce that one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I can't get enough of Call Me When You're Sober at the moment. It's so epic sounding and incredibly cathartic to sing along to, what with all the anger spewing out everywhere.

Then there's that Little Red Riding Hood video. With Oliver Goodwill as the world's prettiest wolf:

There's something about the way Amy sings the word "lie" at about 55 seconds that I adore. I keep rewinding and replaying it. It has something to do with the way she rounds off the word at the end.

Oh - and did I mention Oliver Goodwill...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    And this is how it's done...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I really am in love with Evanescence again. More than I have been in a long time. But I'm still trying to reconcile it with who I am today.

Doing some driving this afternoon I thoroughly enjoyed cranking up the volume and blasting them out. As I pulled onto my drive to that wailing guitar section from the last minute of Haunted, I suddenly realised that all my neighbours would be able to hear and quite possibly wonder if I've been possessed or something.

Incidentally, I had an illusion shattered by this lyric video. I've always heard the first two lines of the second verse as "Hunting you I can smell you alive - your heart pounding in my hand". The lyric video reads "your heart pounding in my head." I did a bit of research (well, I looked online and even in the liner notes), and all sources seem to lean towards the "head" lyric.

This is very disappointing to me. The visual of a heart beating away in someone's hand - like she's just ripped it out - is deliciously primal. In fact, I shall continue to defiantly sing "in my hand" at every given opportunity.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Sweet Sacrifice has really been doing it for me this weekend.

"You poor, sweet, innocent thing. Dry your eyes and testify."

9. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I've split Anywhere into two different tracks in my iTunes. The main track and the 40 second interlude at the end with all those layered vocals harmonising beautifully together.

The shorter version is getting a lot of play from me. It's so captivating and beautiful and good to hear the men's voices too.

Starts at 5:20

10. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    And I've joined together the 35 second prelude Origin to the following track, Whisper, as the person doing this video has:

I'm really enjoying Origin at the moment. Not just Origin the track - which I love for its darkness and quirk - but Origin the album. It's interesting to hear rawer, rougher, simpler versions of tracks that would appear on the Fallen album: Whisper, Imaginary and My Immortal.

Whisper
    became so epic by 2003.

I enjoy both versions in different ways.​

11. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    These two are still getting plays and, when the mood is right, I'm also enjoying Evanescence's cover of Korn's Thoughtless:

12. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    And then there's Everybody's Fool - which just happens to be my most-played Evanescence song.

It's also my favourite of their music videos. Love the way it takes a swipe at the images of perfection promoted in the media:

Watching it today has brought home that, with high profile Twitter narcissists making the news and social media depression being a thing, it's even more relevant in 2017 than it was in 2004. The video perfectly encapsulates social media burnout.​

13. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Merry Alexmas Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    I noticed this week while stalking Steps chart position that Evanescence's Bring Me To Life was in the top 40 on iTunes again. Is there a logical reason for this?

14. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Not that I know of, but I'd probably be the last to know anyway. Maybe Ant and Dec are behind this too. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Autumn has officially begun. It's a season where the warm golden beauty goes hand in hand with the promise of endings and long, dark, cold days.

Evanescence feels like such a natural fit for this season, and it's around this time of year that they organically start to rotate into my playlist of frequently played music.

There's an extra treat this year. A brand new Evanescence album...

[​IMG]

Synthesis is decribed thus:

Set to be released on November 10, 2017, the album includes reworked versions of the band's previous material with an orchestral arrangement and electronica music elements in addition to two new songs.

Here's one of the new songs, Imperfection...

And the Synthesis version of Bring Me To Life...

Amazing!!!

Between this, a new Steps album and an upcoming Martina McBride Christmas album it's a big couple of months for some of the most significant artist in my life.

Now I think the reason for this is ANOTHER Evanescence album that I wasn't aware of.

A new compilation album, Lost Whispers, came out last December. Rather than the usual suspects, this one collects their B-sides.

Unfortunately it's only available in digital and vinyl formats, but that's saved me some money as I probably would have bought it even though I have most of the tracks on it apart from the two new recordings.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Yesterday I played Imperfection and the reworking of Bring Me To Life a number of times and they got better with each play.

Bring Me To Life was meant to be heard this way. I can't get over how epic and film score like it sounds - particularly after I heard it through a good speaker. So wintry and "Black Christmassy". When Katherine Jenkins covered BMTL I fell in love with the more classical arrangement and wished Ev would do a similar version. Eight years later, here we are.

I have a feeling some of the reworkings may end up getting more play than the regular versions, because as much as I love them (and remember that for a couple of years from late 2003, Ev were my soundtrack pretty much exclusively), I have to be in the right mood for the metal these days. These gentler versions feel more in tune with where I am today, so this feels tailor made.

The teasers in this video are making my mouth water. My Immortal and Your Star sound more beautiful than ever and I love that Lacrymosa still has an epic choir.

17. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    A couple of solo Amy Lee recordings from this year came up in my suggestions after watching the Synthesis stuff. They're so beautiful I couldn't not buy them. She's really in great form at the moment.

18. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    An email from Amazon this morning tells me that Synthesis
    On order, I was given the 23rd November as an arrival date. Now it's the 10th. So I can only assume this means I won't have to wait an additional two weeks from release for a copy to be shipped from America. Which, of course, is great news, because this can't arrive soon enough for me.

[​IMG]

19. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008

And now it's the 20th. Ah well - I've waited this long... ​

20. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    After all this time… a brand new official Evanescence music video.

And it's bloody epic.

That haunting intro is incredibly beautiful. And the main track looks great. There's something rather James Bondian about the visuals with the flowing reds, floating figures and flames everywhere.

It's directed by P.R. Brown who directed Sweet Sacrifice a decade ago.

I'm so excited about the new album. The end of November can't come quickly enough.​

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 1)