Doctor Who Favorite Doctor?

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Emeliz Navidad, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Emeliz Navidad
    Busy

Emeliz Navidad Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,728
    For a long time, I have been curious about this series. It isn't broadcasted on any channel that I have (I only have the 10 channels that are included in the apartment rent!).

I am quite lost. I don't know where to start! I did just order 5 episodes on dvd. From "The Christmas Invasion" to "The Girl in the Fireplace" starring David Tennant & Billie Piper from 2006. Series 2 of the new Dr Who.

Who is your favorite Doctor?
    Favorite season?

• Like Like x 2
  2. James from Lapland

James from Lapland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    Tom Baker, No 4.

I wasn't really aware of seasons in the old days, so I'd have to say the first season of New Who, aka the one with Christopher Eccleston.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm really only familiar with Eccleston, Tennant and Smith as Doctors from the New Who era. Tennant is my favorite, but I really liked Eccleston too.

My favorite season is easily season four of New Who, because I love the companion that season--Donna Noble, played by Catherine Tate. But I think you would miss out on some of the emotional weight of season four if you hadn't seen seasons 1-3 too.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,458
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Tom Baker for me, then I'm torn between Tennant & Smith.

I agree with @Jason73 in the new era, season four is the best, but if you're going to start watching the show from the new era, I would recommend you start with Season one, they're not long seasons, but each one builds up nicely.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Emeliz Navidad
    Busy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,728
    "New Who" :lol:

I immidiately thought of

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Emeliz Navidad
    Busy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,728
    Thanks for replies. I have been thinking of the new series instead of the old.

• Like Like x 1
  7. James from Lapland

James from Lapland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    I'm always fascinated to see what viewers who've discovered Who through the new series make of the old one. I remember @Canon giving it a go a few years back. I think it must be a tricky thing to negotiate. It's recognisably the same series, but at the same time belongs to a very different era of television (eras, actually).

8. Emeliz Navidad
    Busy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,728
    For me, the decision is quite simple. There are so many episodes, and I don't want to be turned off by strange lighting and bad stunt tricks (bad as in compared with today's standards!!!). I hate seeing wires and stuff in old movies.

If I started with 1960s Who, I believe I'd be turned off rather fast. The new Who on the other hand... Better quality, I'm absolutely sure of.

I'm also not quite fond of black & white TV. I prefer colour.

Finally, the polite and formal way they often spoke 50 years ago isn't very charming IMO. I grew up after the "you-reformation" in Sweden, which is when people stopped referring to each other as "sir", "miss" and profession titles, and instead began calling each other by first name or just "you". Even our bosses and other powerful people. I call my boss by her first name and wouldn't ever dream of calling her "Principal S...". Although, I'd love to see her reaction if I did! :lol: I'd even call our Prime Minister "Stefan" if I met him. Using formal language & titles is quite foreign to me, which is probably why I prefer the dialogue of today rather than past times dialogue.

Put all these factors together and my choice is simple.

9. J. R.'s Piece
    No Mood

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Original Member Since:
    Feb 2007
    My first cousin once removed descending (one of several hundred I have) loves the new era Doctor Who (particularly the David Tennant ones), as I found out in 2014 (when it was 16) at it's niece's dedication thingy. After visiting me (I live 50 miles away but sometimes make crossover appearances) in January 2015, it was fascinated by Doctor Who Magazine, while I was busy bonding with my then-nearly-two year old first cousin twice removed descending. I've been sending my cousin Doctor Who DVDs, at it's request. It now prefers the earlier shows to the more recent ones. Like me, it doesn't have problems with the earlier shows or some of them being in monochrome or some episodes being missing. It kind of just gets magic from it. As does a much younger first cousin of it's, which states that I am it's favourite cousin ever. That younger first cousin once removed loves Adam Adamant Lives! and The Human Jungle, both in monochrome. And The Avengers (104 monochrome, 57 colour). And Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, The Prisoner, The Feathered Serpent, Children of the Stones, The Saint (71 monochrome, 47 colour), Department S, Danger Man (84 monochrome, 2 colour) and The Champions. One night she asked to watch Pyramids of Mars and watched it in one exciting sitting. Watched The Tomb of the Cybermen in monochrome the next night and was even happier. Actually pulling my DVDs off the shelves to watch but I soon put a stop to that action.

I don't openly have a favourite and don't really think about it but if subjected to the ultimate in truth drugs, I have a suspicion that I might possibly vote for Patrick Troughton. Monochrome 1966-69. Colour reappearances in 1972-73, 1983 and 1985. Think he is the second one. Never thought of it terms of favourite series/season. I do like the Robert Holmes-edited ones though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Wise Willie From Oleson
    Angelic

The Wise Willie From Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,320
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    My older brother watched it when I was very young, and I remember being a little scared by a particular scene, although I think it was more about the music or the voices or something like that.
    Therefore I'd be interested to watch the seventies version of Dr Who.
    Which reminds me that I still have some unwatched Sapphire & Steel dvds on the shelf.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dasher Avery
    No Mood

Dasher Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    It's often said that your favorite Doctor is often the first one you saw. It would explain why Tom Baker remains my favorite. I will say that David Tennant is a strong second, though. As others have said, Tennant was best with Catherine Tate's Donna, while I think Baker's time with Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane) is the Gold Standard of Doctor/Companion storytelling.

Though the budget constraints makes the original series (Docs 1-7) a bit of a turn-off for many viewers, I like that era because they had to rely more on plot and characterization rather than "effects" and "spectacle". I think the same part of my brain that likes old-fashioned soap operas (where the characters spent enormous amounts of time talking about stuff while sitting at the kitchen table) likes original Who, because they were largely studio-bound and relying on the viewer to imagine what is now just CGI'd into existence onscreen. The older series, however, is much easier to pick up and begin viewing at any point, since very few of those seasons had the "umbrella plots" that link an entire season together.

I think seasons 1-4 of the new era can be pretty straight-forward viewing as well. It's not until Moffat took over that the plotlines became overly intricate, a bit too "see how clever I am" for the casual viewer to just pick up and follow. I still find most of the Matt Smith era to be incomprehensible, written toward certain fan bases rather than a broadly-written drama for the entire family, and you "need a flow chart to keep up" (to coin a phrase).

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Wise Willie From Oleson
    Angelic

The Wise Willie From Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,320
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Yeah, there isn't much they can't do these days, but I prefer the "clumsy" special effects and sets.
    The background painted on the wall...as a child I totally bought it.
    At the same time I'm 100% intolerant of CGI that doesn't look perfect. There's no excuse for CGI clumsiness these days.

13. J. R.'s Piece
    No Mood

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Original Member Since:
    Feb 2007
    Tom Baker was the first Doctor I remember watching, most likely on DVDs, I'd expect (my memories alter every time my playing age is revised downwards). Tom Baker is not my favourite Doctor. There are some other Doctors that I'd place above the first Doctor that I saw.`While I appreciate the first one imprinting idea, at the same time I don't like the way that it rules out the possibility of individual Doctor discernment based on performance, character style and other things that grab you. I therefore prefer to have it deleted or exterminated. Or dematerialised as though it had never existed.
    They used Chroma key/Colour Separation Overlay in the 1970s.
    ---------

Just after this?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  14. Michelle's Feast of Stevens
    Confused

Michelle's Feast of Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,679
    Original Member Since:
    January 25, 2011
    Jon Pertwee, but I also really liked my first Doctor, Peter Davison, and Colin Baker. Never saw much of the new Doctor Who to give an informed opinion.

15. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Original Member Since:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Eccleston.

I found Tennant slightly annoying. I liked Smith.

The Eccleston Season. It's the only one I'd be keen to rewatch. Although I did love the Catherine Tate run of episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Original Member Since:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Very tricky! I have little memory of what I did manage to watch of old Who, except that most of the episodes seemed to be filmed in a quarry. That said, I did recently watch an old Who episode starring Bonnie Langford, out of curiosity as she now seems to be in every scene of every episode of EastEnders. The plot involved Caress Morell pretending to be Bonnie in order to fool the recently regenerated Doctor. It was enjoyably awful. It was also filmed in a quarry.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dasher Avery
    No Mood

Dasher Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I've got to say I have a soft spot in my heart for Bonnie Langford's "Mel". Her OTT hair, wardrobe, and screaming...loved it. It's enjoyable when you feel you are in on the joke. It was likely someone at BBC who decided that the characters had to dress that way because they needed to stand out against all those gray and tan boulders in the quarry.

A personal favorite of mine (not set in the quarry) from that era was "Paradise Towers", where Daisy from Keeping Up Appearances and her roommate tried to have Mel for dinner (and not as a guest), and Tom Good from The Good Life was a sort of demon-possessed Basil Fawlty controlling the place.

18. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    This thread re-ignited my interest in Doctor Who and I started re-watching the Eccleston season. I forgot how much I enjoy getting sucked into the mythology of this show. I've only watched this season once before, so it's fun to watch knowing what the overarching story of the season is and watching for all the clues. I really like how they spend time developing some of the supporting characters like Jackie and Mickey.

Adorable Bruno Langley from Corrie turns up in the next episode and is around for a few episodes if my memory serves me.

19. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Original Member Since:
    July 25 (2005)
    season one was a good season actually. he was a good doctor but his last episode to me always felt like he was FINALLY making it his own but sadly it was cut short. David Tennant is mine. sorry for the crap spelling. although i also love Patrick T. and Tom Baker in no order as well. though my 1st ever doctor who episode actually was Rose!

20. Emeliz Navidad
    Busy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,728
    Yes. I had to Google that to be sure. Today, I also ordered the last 3 episodes of the season before, with Christopher Eccleston. I decided I wanted to see the 1st Doctor of the newer series and the transition into the 2nd.
    The Special episode not included.

• Like Like x 1