Favorite form of exercise?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,175
    Medals:
    I have a rebounder I bounce on effortlessly whenever I need a workout but am not motivated to do so. That gets the fluids going and creates inspiration where none previously existed.

I bench press and do curls and squats, a few push-ups and rear push-ups at the bottom of the stairs, and then plank for as long as I can (which isn't long at all!)

Often I'll run around the basement for ~10 minutes fluctuating my speed.

But I don't spend huge amounts of time at any of it. I get in and get out. Which is not how I would treat @Richard Channing.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    I'm constantly told it's the best form of exercise as there is little impact on joints. My doctor said people of my age (early 50's) should not be jogging or running as this form of exercise will eventually lead to issues with knees and hips. Low impact exercise is what he prescribes; walking, cycling (whether on the open road or indoors) and swimming. I'm thinking of becoming a Mamil (Middle Aged Men In Lycra).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,675
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,730
    Medals:
    I go swimming despite the urine. There's chlorine in the water, plus urine isn't bad for you. Disgusting to think about, yes, but some people drink urine - on purpose! o_O I can handle swimming in a tiny bit of chlorine mixed urine-water.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,500
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    We do this too!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,364
    Medals:
    ef436e592ab0e5746b3ed55022fc506e--funny-cute-funny-shit.jpg

2e9b4f6c4e72b7789dc7fd32fa93115f.jpg

de8f8516a19ff27be01c0c6eaa99f1c3.jpg

..... :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    "Would walking into McDonald's instead of using the drive-thru be considered more exercise?"​
    Absolutely. But it depends on what you're about to order. On my way to work I call into Maccas, park the car and walk in to grab a coffee. And it's the only thing I purchase from McDonald's. I have come to know the staff. As soon as I walk in and they spot me they begin to make a small cappuccino. This is also about interacting with people. Walking rather than going through the drive-thru adds to my overall health. Much like using the stairs at a multi-level shopping centre than using the lift. When we go grocery shopping I park as far as I can (weather permitting) from the centre. When I'm on holidays I'm within walking distance from my local shopping centre so I walk there every couple of days and take just one bag with me. It's about being active - not hyperactive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,782
    Medals:
    But some sort of physical activity is required to stay healthy, it's what the body needs like it needs nutrition.
    Exercise is about that extra activity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Medals:
    What is your exercise routine?

Visiting Q-Guild butchers, while saving on travel expenses.
    570AD02F-3DD2-48CA-8159-BED37CFE63E1.jpeg

And feeling motivated when narcissist/sociopath/narcopath/psychopath family members come to stay at my home without my permission.
    514F444E-2155-4D96-A8CB-F0BBC0D1B548.jpeg 9C1CA4E3-9F12-4E01-8E92-F8E8AB63D10B.jpeg
    9BAA4249-D3AB-4252-A6AA-523EE84FD4F7.jpeg

My favourite form of exercise is cycling. I can watch the tv and the iPad without breaking pedalling.
    DA8A4533-ADEC-4D2B-A124-CD0DE3DC0C4D.jpeg

I don’t like playing beach volleyball. I like to watch it instead. Half an hour of watching it and I’m absolutely...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Medals:
    Swimming exercises the whole body. And urine is rumoured to be good for beauty therapy. What’s not to like?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Medals:
    I stick the properties in trusts and build my continued use of the swimming pool into the trust deeds. I have unlimited use of swimming pools at all my previous addresses. Some swimming pools I legally own and can use but they are maintained by others. Some swimming pools I don’t own but have life rights to enjoy them at my discretion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    Im impressed @J. R.'s Piece if you do all those steps in one day
    im happy when i get to 10000!!

and i have walked around the house with my phone to get me over the 10. so i get a medal lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,056
    Medals:
    The best form of exercise is visiting Disneyland Paris (or any big theme park). Over 40,000 steps in one day, while having fun :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Medals:
    Thanks. 10000 is great stuff! Two years ago, I had difficulty reaching half that amount. I tried doing 10000 at home and dislodged my floor tiles!

On the 6th of April 2017, my half-niece came to visit and that day was the first time that I walked over 15 miles in a day. I did over 27 miles that day and didn’t see her at all. Then I was up early the next day and out of the house before 7.30am and out again. I ended up doing about 71 Miles in 80 hours. But from then I kept doing between 50-113.75 miles of walking a week. It’s the only favour she has ever done me.

I began doing local Walking For Health walks in February 2016. Before that I had got so ill that walking ten minutes without stopping was difficult. After seven months and a swimming course, I started doing more than one health walk a week. Then because I was getting more active, I started walking to health walks and walking between health walks. I found that instead of taking the car or other transport, I’d walk four miles to the city centre or town centre without difficulty. Sometimes, I walk between 5 to 9.83 miles to get to a health walk.

Throughout April to the end of September last year, every Thursday except one (I’m usually free on Thursdays), I would walk between 1.5 to 1.9 miles to one of two health walks. Then do the health walk from 10am or 10.30am. Then lunch and walk two and a half miles to another health walk at 2pm and finish before 4pm. Then have dinner. Then walk over a couple of miles to another health walk for a 6pm start. Finish by 8pm and then vanish up one of the canals for a four mile walk back home again. So every Thursday (except one, when there was no evening walk), I would exceed 20 miles. I wore out seven pairs of walking boots last year and went down three trouser sizes. I haven’t been quite as active since the end of October, due to a viral infection that I got from looking after someone with a viral infection. So I usually cap it around 15 miles a day at the moment because I don’t want to overdo it.
    8D53AF49-405B-4371-9D52-B44AAB4244C9.jpeg 12604104-733D-4B63-9298-14BCCBABA11E.jpeg
    This Friday, I’m due to be on a private health walk that just happens to terminate where my game pie order will be collected from. And my ploughmans pies, huntsmans pies and festive pies.

What I really love is that I get to explore lots of beautiful parks, country parks, countryside, pathways, nature reserves, tea rooms, Q-Guild butchers, sweet shops and stretches of water that I never knew about before.

I got this for my activity last year. I’m currently 66 miles off the next one.
    4CC538FF-DD7E-4DB9-8DF6-1ACD04C38169.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Medals:
    I got this too.
    A36B91D4-2685-4290-BE8D-ECD44509855D.jpeg

Had a nice little stroll today. I think I’m beginning to like walking more. With cycling, I have to force myself into it. With walking, I don’t really think about it.
    A61CF5A9-B761-4DBC-9128-619ADB69196B.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,141
    Medals:
    According to my health app on my phone I average about 8500 steps a day but that's not really accurate as much of the time when I am not working my phone isn't in my pocket as I don't like to be contacted on days off unless it's by someone I have made plans with. So my phone can say I have taken 7 steps all day because I have barely touched it.
    A normal work day I think I do between 1000 and 1300 steps a day. Some days it can be as much as 1800 if I go out for lunch, walk to or from work or go out after work.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,782
    Medals:
    ^
    I thought you only listened to steps?

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    One of my friends reminded me

When I left school, the teachers put a quote in our school magazine about us all

For BF :) they said

The only sport i mastered was backgammon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH :D

if there was an A level for dogging hockey and going shopping instead Id have got an A band 1 for it.

Id have been happy to play Miss Ellie and Jock in Dallas - it seemed to be their fav game at SF

• Like Like x 1
  19. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    I guess my favourite form of exercise is watching Athletics - track and field on TV! or World Cup/European Cup football ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,364
    Medals:
    .......... ??

Oh, "Shopping"....?? I thought you'd typed "Shoplifting".... ? ! :eek:

....... :oops:

• Funny Funny x 1