Favorite non-scripted, non-"reality" programs?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Mrs Emelee Newman, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Mrs Emelee Newman

Mrs Emelee Newman Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    What do you like to watch on TV that is NOT in the 2 big genres scripted TV series or reality tv shows (like Kardashians, Big Brother, Bachelor etc)?

In other words; TV programs such as...
    • the news or news shows
    • talk shows
    • entertainment shows like Idol, Talent, X-Factor
    • food shows like Top Chef, Master Chef
    • animal shows like veterinarian shows or wild life documentaries
    • debate shows
    • remodel houses shows
    • style or fashion shows
    • real crime documentary shows

• Like Like x 2
  2. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,802
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Though not a true "remodel houses" type show, there is a series on DIY called Barnwood Builders that I like. The men on this show take down old barns, log cabins, and other centuries-old structures in the West Virginia area, and re-constructs ("re-stacks") them on other sites for people to use for various purposes. You get a lot of information on how the pioneers built their cabins, barns, etc. without the benefits of modern technology (like nails), and also get a glimpse into how such places can be re-purposed to last another two hundred years. They frequently get to interact with the family members who remember living in or using the old structure, so we get to attach real people to the buildings. Part construction lesson, part history lesson.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    I'm not sure if this is classified as "reality" or not but I find Shark Tank quite interesting. (We have our own locally-produced version.) The pitches by the would-be entrepreneurs and the analyses by the "sharks" can be surprisingly engrossing.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Willie Oleson
    Cheerful

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,779
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Cabaret, but it's not the same as English cabaret. It's a comedian performing on stage (at least 90 minutes, so it's not exactly like those stand-up comedian shows).

And there's a tv programme "Different Times" that highlights all sorts of important events in Dutch history e.g. when Spain became a popular holiday destination in the late 60s/early 70s. Before that, only rich people could afford such holidays or to travel by plane.
    Or the popularity of the DDR-manufactured TRABANT automobiles.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mrs Emelee Newman

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    I like some of our Swedish quiz shows. Mostly På Spåret ("On the track"), where they ask where (on our earth) a train is heading, then ask questions about this city.

I like Veckans Brott ("Crime of the Week"), where a show host & crime professor/author/ex-cop Leif GW Persson talk recent crimes, historical crimes, police work etc.

Ice Road Truckers, where truckers have to transport lots of heavy material to far away places, such as oil drills in Alaska.

Storage Wars, where people who work with 2nd hand, buy lockers that people haven't paid for and dumped old belongings.

I've started to like plenty of antiques shows lately!

Vem bor här? ("Who Lives Here?"), a show where 5 people meet and walk around in each others' homes - without revealing which home they live in. Then they try to place where all fellow contestants live. Viewers can also guess, cause the answers aren't revealed until the end of the episodes.

I like home re-styling shows like Bygglov, Äntligen Hemma etc.

I like The Great British Bake-Off, and the Swedish version of it.

Så Mycket Bättre ("So Much Better") where they gather 7 music artist each season. Each one gets one day each where they talk about his/her career, and the other 6 sings covers on the artist's songs.

I love Veterinarian shows.

Superskaparna ("The Super Creators"). Like the bake-off show, but instead of cakes, bread & cookies, they create things like headboards, bags, lamps etc etc from different materials.

Project Runway - which is more a competition show rather than reality, IMO.

Tror Du Jag Ljuger? (Swedish version of the British show Would I Lie To You?). The great thing about our version is the chemistry between Fredrik Lindström & Johan Glans, the two constant team leaders.

Arga Snickaren ("The Angry Carpenter"). A show that visits houses that are in really bad shape because the owners have let it go that far. They re-build what is broken and ask how the heck the owners managed to do this to their house/family.

Everything with Filip Hammar & Fredrik Wikingsson. 2 journalists/show hosts that do many types of shows. "Breaking News", where they talk about recent happenings in a funny way. "Jorden runt på 6 steg" where they test the 6 Degrees of Separation theory, going from one compleyely random person in some foreign country, to a Hollywood celebrity - using only 6 friendship steps. "Should we break up?" where they counsel couples who are on the verge of breaking up.
    They also have a podcast together, in English.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mrs Emelee Newman

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    I forgot...

Historieätarna ("The History Eaters"). Lotta Lundgren & Erik Haag take on a historic time each episode. For instance, the 18th century, 1940s, 1990s or 13th century.
    They dress like people did then, they work with what people worked with, cured illnesses like they did - and eat what was common then. Some of the things are really disgusting! :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    Yeah, Antiques Roadshow (the English one) I catch sometimes and that's interesting, too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,802
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    There's an interesting series called Mysteries At The Museum (or something close to that) that I try to watch whenever I stumble across it during my endless channel-surfing. The show will focus on an artifact or some piece of history found in some relatively obscure museum, outlining the story of what made it museum-worthy. They will do re-enactments to help tell the stories (usually pretty well-done) and the viewer is left with a better appreciation of small-town museums and the folks who curate them, and of course a better appreciation of how average people can have major impacts on history.

It would seem to be the perfect sort of program for the History Channel....and if this were 2003, it probably would have ended up there. But since the History Channel is now about pawnbrokers and ancient alien sightings, this show airs on the Travel Channel, of all places.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    I love this show! Leif GW is actually one of the people I idolize. I wrote to him when I was like 12 about Tomas Quick but he didn't respond. Oh well!

Annoying sexist assholes.

You're welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    I like QI the quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry. The Great British Sewing Bee, Project Runway and if I catch it The Great British Bake Off, though I don't regularly watch that one. I also love to watch The Antiques Road Show too.

11. Mrs Emelee Newman

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    I don't mind you calling Filip & Fredrik annoying or assholes, but they most certainly are not sexist! They are anti-sexists. They call out others for being sexists, like Paolo Roberto.
    Filip & Fredrik vote on Miljöpartiet and are self-proclaimed feminists.

You idol Leif GW Persson is a fan of Filip & Fredrik. He came out as a F&F-fan earlier this year.

:)

12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Oh girl.

GIRL.

I'mma.

13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Vänta.

Claudia! Emelie!

FALCON CREST

14. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    There's a show called Fake Or Fortune? which I never have seen all the way through - I always seem to come in at the end - but they investigate whether works of art are genuine or forgeries, following clues like a detective story.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Barbara Fan
    Sweettooth

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,994
    Original Member Since:
    Im a sucker for
    Undercover boss USA and usually end up crying as its so sad at times and to see how generous the "boss" has been to staff - the US version is the best
    and i quite like 4 in a bed where they review one another bed and breakfast hotels

I also love Bake off and admire their creativity

and i love to travel so Im a sucker for travel progs especially with lovely Mr Michael Palin and if said BF pack your case and come travel with me Id be off in a shot

Quz show wise i like Pointless, Eggheads, University challenge and Mastermind

• Like Like x 2
  16. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,802
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I've seen a few episodes of this. It's tough for me to suspend disbelief at times, since there is a camera crew following this 'boss' around, and these employees are so eager to spill their guts (very personal issues) to someone they've barely met. I can't help but think the producers have let the proverbial cat out of the bag to the participants, and some of the employees are rewarded at the end for not ruining the project.

I believe they could pull this sort of thing off if the show was not airing on national TV, but since it's been in the public view on and off for a few years, it has to be near-impossible for 'bosses' to go truly undercover without someone on staff getting wise to the "real" reason for the film crew. Also, in the episodes I watched, the 'boss' usually wore a really bad disguise, like a mullet wig or something obvious. That alone would set off my internal radar. As I watch the show, I spend more time nit-picking the moments that make me think it's a set-up.

17. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    Pointless and Eggheads I've seen. Pointless was bit hard to follow at first, being the reverse of something like Family Feud where the object is to get the most popular answers. The Chase I've seen as well. The problem with English quiz shows here of course is a lot of locally-based questions I can't possibly know the answers to, but there is an inherent excitement quotient to them as well.

18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    Does The Apprentice count???

19. Mrs Emelee Newman

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,646
    Yes.