Favorite TV Wedding Day disasters

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Richard Channing, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,729
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    What are some of your favorite TV weddings that went horribly wrong? I was gonna make this just about the soaps but there are probably lots of interesting TV wedding disasters that happened in various genres.

Some standout weddings from the US 80's soaps are Vicki's wedding at Falcon Crest which ended with a big revelation and a bang, or two. Cliff walking out of JR and Sue Ellen's wedding on Dallas and the pool fight that ensued. Of course, we can't not mention Dynasty's Moldavian 'massacre' too. I also liked Cole and Melissa being married by a priest she was having an affair with on FC.

Some that spring to mind from the UK soaps are when Jimmy Corkhill crashed, high on coke, into Frank Rogers car on his wedding day killing him and Tony Dixon on Brookside. On Coronation Street, Mavis and Derek's first wedding in the 80's stood out as both of them independently had second thoughts and neither of them showed up at the wedding. I remember thinking it was a very original twist and it was in fitting with both of the characters temperaments.

Ross and Emily's wedding on friends also had an original twist when he said the wrong name.

So, what are your most memorable TV wedding disasters? Or perhaps ones that you thought came up with an original idea of how things could go terribly wrong?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Mrs Emelee Newman

Mrs Emelee Newman Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,645
    My absolute favorite is from The Bold and the Beautiful. The 1997 wedding starring Stephanie & Eric. After some years apart, the family patriarch and matriarch were finally reuniting. But...... Eric had cheated on her with Lauren one night. And Lauren had secretly videotaped it. Sally got hold of the video and took a still picture from it, and placed it in the minister's bible. Great acting, great set-up, and great pay-off. For a while.
    (As it's a daytime soap, Eric and Stephanie of course got re-married, got divorced again, re-married again, divorced again and got married once more. 4 weddings, 1 renewal of vows, 1 cancelled wedding: this one - and 3 divorces to sum it up.)

Some parts of the wedding and the aftermath are missing from this YT-clip, but the most important stuff is there. YouTube has removed so many B&B clips in recent years because of copyright issues.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,729
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    Wow, I thought Gary and Val Ewing might have had the record at 3 weddings, but I guess daytime does like to take things that one step further!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mrs Emelee Newman

Mrs Emelee Newman Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,645
    Especially soaps that have been on the air for 25+ years. Cause 25 years is over 6000 episodes afterall.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Melrose Place: Sydney's wedding

Models Inc: final scene

Falcon Crest: "we" are going to have a baby

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,850
    I think Kristen's almost-wedding to Brady on Days of Our Lives qualifies as one of my favorites. The priest officiating the wedding, Eric (who happens to be the grooms step-brother), finds out that the bride drugged him and raped him which was pretty upsetting to the groom. This all comes out thanks to the priest's mom, Marlena, accidentally playing the sex tape at the wedding ceremony.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    The biggest, multi-leveled, wedding disaster I think I ever witnessed was on a soap I didn't really follow regularly--the wedding of Leo and Greenlee on All My Children. On one side of the Church, the mother of the groom is a wanted, international criminal; the brother of the groom is the town's villain, married to a government agent; a vengeful half-brother out to ruin Leo's life; and a collection of Leo's (female) marks from his days as a con artist/gigolo. On the other side of the Church, the Maid of Honor, who is having an affair with the Father of the Bride; the money-grubbing Mother of the Bride who is trying to swindle her daughter out of an inheritance; and the bride herself, who is targeted for death by her soon-to-be Mother-in-Law. At one point bullets fly, with the Father of the Bride going down like a sack of potatoes, and the sister-in-law of the groom rushing down the aisle in hot pursuit of the shooter, guns blazing. I'm going to assume the minister kept their security deposit.

There are many others, I'm sure...I'll have to think a little harder to see if I can top that fiasco.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    This one by a mile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel O’Drama

Mel O’Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,826
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    One that really grabbed me when I first watched was Roo and Frank's non-wedding in Home and Away. Mostly because I'd been involved with that show from the start and the characters were close in age to me.

It was the most dramatic thing to happen up to that point in the show (104 episodes/4 months) and had been set up right from the start of the show.

In the Pilot episode, the show's psychic, Floss, had a dream involving the death of one of the Fletchers. As the episodes went along she got more details, including the blue car and the number plate: LGU 545. When Frank bought a car with the number plate LGV 545, she freaked out, thinking it must be the death car. So Bobby (who secretly loved Frank) set fire to it. Except it was quickly replaced with another blue car. The registration plate: LGU 545.

Meanwhile, Roo had got pregnant by slimy Brett Macklin and laid a trap for Frank, seducing him into sleeping with her so he would think the baby was his. Which he did, and decided to marry her to do the right thing.

Except Roo had a change of heart:

• Like Like x 5
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    I couldn't remember who Frank was until I watched the video and then I remembered....that...hair.....:tv:@Mel O’Drama

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mel O’Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,826
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008

Just in case you were in any doubt that it was the Eighties. :D

He looked sooooo much better when he went into the corporate world and gave the mullet the heave-ho.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    I gave up on Home and Away and Neighbours MANY years ago but loved the earlier Home and Away with Bobby and Frank and Carly etc.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mel O’Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,826
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    The early years were soooooo good. They really need to release some consecutive episodes on DVD like with Neighbours.

I watched the first four years or so religiously and then drifted away somewhere shortly after the 1000th episode. I think I just outgrew it. It seems that you can usually tell when a person was in their teens or early twenties by which era of Home And Away they remember. :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Do wedding receptions count?

Cheaply done by most standards, but an "A" for originality...:)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,729
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    I've never seen this. Love it. :10: for drama!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,729
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    I've never really watched daytime soaps apart from Sunset Beach. Meg and Ben's wedding was pretty memorable. After the towns resident psychic pulled a gun during the ceremony, Ben's thought-to-be-dead ex-wife, who has amnesia, shows up just in time to catch the bouquet. She had befriended Meg and had been invited to the wedding but didn't realize Meg was marrying her husband. The first couple of minutes will give you the gist of it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,729
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    Loved Home and Away back in the day, and Neighbours. Which reminds me, I'd stopped watching at this point, but saw this clip on their 30 Years of Neighbours anniversary doc.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Original Member Since:
    Apr 8, 2004
    The English soap Family Affairs had a wedding to remember when the bride, her parents, grandfather, sister, two brothers (one an infant) died after the canal boat they were holding the reception on blew up...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,729
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    Yikes, now that's a real wedding day massacre. That must have been half the cast that got culled! (Or maybe they weren't all regulars)

20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    The "back from the dead ex-wife" crashing the wedding of her husband is practically a soap staple! So many of those I had trouble choosing. The Sunset Beach one certainly ranks right up there. I'd also place the OLTL aborted wedding of Cord Roberts and Kate Sanders, where Cord's presumed dead wife arrived, having "died" when her rowboat went over Iguazu Falls in Argentina (these things happen). Yes, the same Tina whose wedding cake blew up in that clip above. But Tina busting up Cord's wedding to Kate was a blessing in disguise, because Kate Sanders ended up turning into Kimberly Shaw later on. :eek:

• Like Like x 4