SoapLand - The Battle Of Favourite Episode Cliffhangers - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie O! Tannenbaum, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837

Since we've already done the season finale cliffhangers, I thought it would be interesting to find the best non-season-finale cliffhangers.

These threads will run concurrently with the other specific themed Soap Battles.
    But we'll reserve more time for these episode threads because it takes more time and effort to search for your favourite episode cliffhangers - approx 1200 episodes, and that's also the reason why we're doing this SoapLand Battle in parts.

I was thinking about 4 weeks per round, and more time if needed (don't hesitate to ask!).

The idea is to compile a top 5 best cliffhangers of all the soaps, and after that I'll post all these top 5's in one thread.
    Then we'll pick our favourite 5 from that list of 25 cliffhangers, which will result in the #1 favourite episode cliffhanger.

1. DALLAS
    2. FALCON CREST
    3. KNOTS LANDING
    4. DYNASTY

5. THE SHORT-LIVED SOAPS
    including
    FLAMINGO ROAD
    THE COLBYS
    EMERALD POINT N.A.S.
    PAPER DOLLS
    BARE ESSENCE
    THE YELLOW ROSE
    BERRENGER'S
    THE HAMPTONS
    RETURN TO EDEN

I've decided to start with the short-lived soaps, there aren't many members who've seen them all so there's less to choose from. Consider it a warm-up:D

One more thing. There are many episodes that had beautiful endings, but for the sake of consistency, please try to approach these as traditional cliffhangers.
    You know, all those "Oh my God!" moments.

To make the tally up a bit easier, please list your choices as: Series + Season/Episode + Episode Title

Example:

Flamingo Road S02-E04 - The Intruder
    And then (if you wish) you can describe the cliffhanger and what you liked about it.

Finally, are we going to do a top 5 or top 10? Do we need to poll this?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    upload_2018-8-27_12-26-21.png upload_2018-8-27_12-26-41.png upload_2018-8-27_12-28-8.png
    upload_2018-8-27_12-28-38.png upload_2018-8-27_12-28-52.png upload_2018-8-27_12-29-9.png
    upload_2018-8-27_12-29-34.png upload_2018-8-27_12-29-49.png upload_2018-8-27_12-30-7.png

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Alexis Colby Carrington

Alexis Colby Carrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The Colbys Season 2 Episode 16 - Manhunt

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    You can list 5 favourites (if you want):)

5. Alexis Colby Carrington

Alexis Colby Carrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Return to Eden Episode 17 - Princess Tabitha is revealed as Stephanie - I remember watching this thinking OMG a proper cliffhanger!
    Return to Eden Episode 19 - Stephanie reveals herself to everyone on the catwalk of the fashion show!
    Return to Eden Episode 20 - Jilly is poisoned, carrying Jake's child and slips below the surface of the pool!

I loved Return to Eden - it was so Dynastyesque!

The Colbys - Season 2 Episode 16 Manhunt - A brilliant episode of the series in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I've never seen BERRENGER'S or THE HAMPTONS, and only the BARE ESSENCE mini-series, not the soap-version that came after that.

I've watched EMERALD POINT N.A.S. only once, and that was 100 years ago so I hardly remember any of the plotlines, let alone how the episodes ended.
    EPNAS was an interesting idea for a soap setting because it was so different from DALLAS and DYNASTY but somehow it didn't really work for an 80s prime time drama.
    The cast was so-so, Robert Vaughn was type-cast as the main villain, Stephanie Dunnam played the good girl that I couldn't stand and Susan Dey (a good actress whom I enjoyed in everything else) got the worst part.
    But they also had two ex-Bond girls, and Sela Ward was convincing as the selfish vixen.
    Having said that, I'd love to see it again - unfortunately YouTube only has the first 4 episodes.

PAPER DOLLS was fun - often laughing-out-loud funny - but not very compelling. That's why none of the episode cliffhangers seem particularly strong.

FLAMINGO ROAD had some good ones, but I don't remember exactly how the episodes ended (otherwise I would have voted for episode 2.12 "The Explosion"). Unfortunately, the uploader has removed all his videos from dailymotion.

I like the RETURN TO EDEN mini-series, but the soap-version was pure trash.
    So, that leaves me with only THE COLBYS cliffhangers.

1. S1 E9 - The Letter
    upload_2018-8-29_16-37-3.png upload_2018-8-29_16-37-19.png
    The SoapLand rule dictates that secret letters and documents are nonflammable, and that's why Sable discovers Philip's letter in the fireplace.
    This letter turns out to be her ultimate ammunition, so there's a sense that something really bad is going to happen.

2. S2 E16 - The Manhunt
    upload_2018-8-29_16-46-46.png upload_2018-8-29_16-47-1.png
    Death and chaos at the IMOS Conference!

3. S2 E17 - All Fall Down
    upload_2018-8-29_16-49-18.png upload_2018-8-29_16-49-37.png
    There she goes, boom-a-da-boom-a-da-boom-a-da-boom! The tumble itself looks quite impressive, but Fallon's (or the baby's) fate isn't what makes it so exciting.
    Oh my God...what have you done?
    upload_2018-8-29_16-54-40.png upload_2018-8-29_16-54-55.png

She didn't do anything - and that's also not the point - it's the (mis)interpretation that foreshadows big drama for Channing.
    And she was already under suspicion because she had jeopardized Fallon's pregnancy in episode 2.11.
    I would have preferred Miles or Channing in the freeze-frame (like DALLAS' "dead body in the pool")

4. S1 E14 - The Trial
    The man sitting over there…is not a Colby!
    upload_2018-8-29_17-18-4.png upload_2018-8-29_17-18-19.png

That could basically ruin the whole premise of the spin-off. How dare they!

5. S2 E21 - Return Engagement
    upload_2018-8-29_17-28-24.png upload_2018-8-29_17-33-26.png
    This is another cliffhanger that could turn everything upside down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I had expected this round to be the least favourite one for reasons mentioned in the OP.
    Apparently, this battle has already been done in the DALLAS TOP 10, and it took Dallas fans only 9 days to choose from 343 (!) episode cliffhangers.
    That's why I've decided to do these battles in 3 weeks instead of 4. I'll post the result next weekend which means that, if you still want to take part in this round, you still got a whole week to vote for your favourite cliffhangers.

The next rounds (based on number or episodes) will be:
    2. DYNASTY
    3. FALCON CREST
    4. KNOTS LANDING
    5. DALLAS (including DALLAS 2012)

In order to get as many matching votes as possible (or at least enough for a Top 5), rounds 2 to 5 are going to be Top 10s.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,797
    Am I too late for the first round? I'll still post my favourite episode cliffhangers for the short lived soaps but you don't have to included them:

1. Flamingo Road - S02E18 - The High and Mighty - Michael Tyrone talks to a mystery woman on the phone and tells her he will soon destroy everyone of them. He then picks up a chess piece and uses it to knock another chess piece of the board as he says each of the following names "Titus, Claude, Field and Constance". He then pauses to look at the piece in his hand and says "but the first move in the game is Lute-Mae Sanders" and throws the chess piece in the fire.

2. Return to Eden - S01E17 - Bill goes to visit Princess Talitha and she removes her niqab revealing she is really Stephanie. Jake arrives shortly after and sees that Stephanie is really alive.

3. Flamingo Road - S01E14 - They Drive By Night - Lane Ballou and Fielding Carlisle declare their love for each other and they kiss. Then the camera cuts to Constance who has witnessed everything.

4. Return to Eden -S01E19 - A model walks down the catwalk at the climax of a fashion show wearing a mask made of feathers, she dramatically removes it and smiles. It's Stephanie who everyone thought was dead. Jilly screams "No!".

5. Return To Eden - Se01E16 - Jake catches Olive putting a snake in Jilly's shower to scare her so he traps her in the shower and holds the door closed while he calls Jilly. Not realising the snake is poisonous when the eventually open the door they find her dead on the floor.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,336
    Return to Eden gets all five votes for me here. I loved this show sooooooooo much. I can just about recite the entire script of the mini series and I could watch the whole thing Again and again. My fast forward finger doesn’t have any desire to get used (although it is cuppa tea time when Angelo comes in with his boxing) lol

Anyway I would choose the first cliffhanger of episode one of the mini series here if thats counted?? Where Tara walks in to Joanna’s modelling agency and says ‘I need an agent. Someone who can get me on the cover of Vogue in six months.’ And then unveils her stunning new look and flashes her beaming smile. I love that!! That had me hooked and I’ve never seen another show before Or since that’s had me that rivitted. so original. Like nothing like that had ever been on tv before. What’s she gonna do? What’s going to happen next?! And she was such a decent, kind, loving character. AAA+++. And I adore Rebecca Gilling (who is equally lovely in real life from everything I’ve read)

If that’s not counted from the mini series, then my order would be...

1. Stephanie as Princess Teletha revealing her face to Bill and Jake sees her. I mean it was so exciting. And again really original. What a hook. Whats going to happen next? How’s she gonna get out of THAT?! Just riveting tv. I delighted in every second of it. Such a great cast. Almost every single one of them Super in their parts. No one was one dimensional. Brilliant brilliant

2. A model (looking A-Ma-Zing!!) walked down the catwalk and Stephanie had got her revenge on Jilly as she screamed ‘noooo’. I mean I like this more than JR and Alexis too because they almost always got away with everything terrible that they did and if they were caught, no real lasting consequences for them. Jilly really did get her comeuppance in such glorious ways. It was such fun to watch! Camp and fabulous one minute and really gritty and dramatic the next

(Very hard to choose between those first two as they are right up there among my favourite episode of any show I’ve seen)

3. Stephanie and Dan’s boat blowing up as they tried to race to get to a phone to stop Jake being voted onto the board

4. Stephanie, looking beautiful as ever, saying ‘you bastard’ to Jake after he took over her company.

5. Jilly drowning in the pool. There’s no way Jake would have got there in time to save her in reality but still very well done indeed. Heart in throat moment. The centre of Sydney to where Eden is might take more than a few minutes to get there ;-)

Honourable mention to Olive in the shower with the snake. That was creepy and very fitting. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person ;-)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    How many times did Stephanie Harper reveal herself?

Ta-daaa! It's me...again!:lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,336
    Not enough @Willie Oleson One more round for the whole show. I never get tired of seeing her again ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Tomorrow it's going to be about DYNASTY.
    There's still time left to post your favourites for this round.

[​IMG]

13. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,373
    So tonight is the last night to nominate on this topic??

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kristin Kringle Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,373
    Oh right, I had planned to do a bit more research as I've only seen two from the list and it was a very long time ago for both. So I will go on others suggestions that have jogged my memory about Return To Eden and The Colbys.

15. Kristin Kringle Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,373
    1. Return Engagement (The Colbys)
    2. Jilly almost drowns in the pool (RTE)
    3. The Trial (The Colbys)
    4. Stephanie and Dan boat explosion (RTE)
    5. Manhunt (The Colbys)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    The top 5 most popular cliffhangers:

Return To Eden S01 E17
    Return To Eden S01 E19
    Return To Eden S01 E20
    The Colbys S02 E16 (Manhunt)
    The Colbys S02 E21 (Return Engagement)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Next:

upload_2018-9-7_19-45-56.png

Do you have 10 (or less) favourite cliffhangers?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    1 - S02E02 - The Verdict: "I'm moving in!"
    The beginning of the Alexis' guerrilla warfare against Blake and Krystle and an early example of the campy OTT moves that would become Alexis' trademark.

2 - S01E13 - The Separation: Blake kills Ted

An event that was the catalyst for so much of the drama that would follow, it would be referenced for seasons to come and initiated the arrival of you know who.
    [​IMG]

3 - S03E03 - The Wedding: Cecil dies
    Like the killing of Ted, this was another event that would propel the drama for years to come and unlike other Dynasty departees (hey Amanda and Claudia), Cecil would be referenced for years to come.
    [​IMG]

4 - S05E07 - Amanda: the secret daughter comes to Denver to throw the cat among the pigeons
    Yes, she was a blatant Fallon replacement but she her arrival added another layer of conflict to the Alexis vs Blake dynamic and eventually led us to this pinnacle of Dynasty camp.
    [​IMG]

5 - S09E07 - The Last Hurrah: Krystle and Alexis' final scene together
    The two foes bid farewell to each other as only they know how.

6 - S09E09 - Ginger Snaps: Jeff vs Sable
    Jeff questions Sable on her motives for being in Denver so she slaps him straight and sends him on his way. There were no great consequences from this cliffhanger, it's just a great Sable scene.
    [​IMG]

7 - S05E04 - The Rescue: Dominique tells Blake she is a Carrington
    As if Blake didn't have enough on his plate with one daughter "dead" and another he never knew existed about to pop up, in waltzes his long lost sister.
    [​IMG]

8 - S05E14 - The Will: "We're all one big family now"

Tom Carrington's will reading cements the power dynamic between Dominique, Blake and Alexis and sets the stage for Ben's return a year later.
    [​IMG]

9 - S06E21 - Ben: Alexis and Caress face off

Another cliffhanger of no great consequence but it's a good scene of the two sisters facing off.

10 - S03E05 - The Siblings: "You've no idea how anxious I've been to meet you, my dear friend Krystle's first husband"
    Alexis tracks Mark down in New York, delivers the above mouthful of a line and draws him into her treachery against Krystle. Little did Mark know that this move would lead him to being disposed of by a senator in drag.
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
  19. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I devoured the J. Eddie Peck Mystery, so I picked three cliffhangers from that storyline. But they're all great, really.

1. S02E18 - The Gun
    upload_2018-9-12_0-51-18.png upload_2018-9-12_0-51-34.png upload_2018-9-12_0-51-47.png
    Claudia plans to shoot Cecil and Krystle tries to stop her. Then there's an off-screen gunshot (sounds a bit looney tunes) and then "oh, god"
    We know someone got shot, but who? I remember being mega-excited about this cliffhanger.

2. S01E13 - The Separation
    upload_2018-9-12_0-58-17.png upload_2018-9-12_0-58-33.png upload_2018-9-12_0-58-45.png
    After a whole season of bullying and playing God, Blake must now face the consequences of his dastardly behaviour. The cliffhanger before THE cliffhanger.

3. S09E03 - She's Back
    upload_2018-9-12_1-3-16.png upload_2018-9-12_1-3-29.png upload_2018-9-12_1-3-44.png
    The first delicious clue. What does Blake know? Who is this man?

4. S08E13 - The Interview
    upload_2018-9-12_1-7-14.png upload_2018-9-12_1-7-28.png upload_2018-9-12_1-7-41.png
    "....accusing me of killing my husband?...well, did you, Alexis? Did you kill him?"
    It doesn't matter that we know that Alexis did not kill Cecil, but it's the idea (or the promise) that this situation could spiral out of control. Unfortunately, it didn't.

5. S09E13 - No Bones About It
    upload_2018-9-12_1-14-41.png upload_2018-9-12_1-14-54.png upload_2018-9-12_1-15-9.png
    The skeleton gets the freeze frame. Oh my God - indeed!

15 images appears to be the max...

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    6. S07E02 - Sideswiped
    upload_2018-9-12_1-19-35.png upload_2018-9-12_1-19-47.png upload_2018-9-12_1-19-58.png
    "Carrington! You killed my wife!"
    There's nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned car crash, although I would have put the freeze frame on the car, not the characters.

7. S08E15 - The Rifle
    upload_2018-9-12_1-23-2.png upload_2018-9-12_1-23-14.png upload_2018-9-12_1-23-26.png
    Sean Rowan plans to assassin Blake Carrington, but he accidentally shoots his wife.

8. S09E17 - Sins Of The Father
    upload_2018-9-12_1-25-56.png upload_2018-9-12_1-26-11.png upload_2018-9-12_1-26-25.png
    There's something shady going on in that lake. "My God, it'll all come out now". Oh really? What is it?? And it's probably not a good thing that Sgt. Zorelli is watching them?

9. S05E09 - Domestic Intrigue
    upload_2018-9-12_1-30-4.png upload_2018-9-12_1-30-17.png upload_2018-9-12_1-30-45.png
    What would DYNASTY be without a fabulous staircase cliffhanger?

10. S07E01 - The Victory
    upload_2018-9-12_1-34-35.png upload_2018-9-12_1-34-48.png upload_2018-9-12_1-35-0.png
    Alexis pulls a Jacqueline Perrault as the new owner of The Denver Mirror.
    She orders her editor to publish an inflammatory article about Blake's (alleged) involvement in the La Mirage fire. "And this is only the beginning!"
    Oh my!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1