SoapLand - The Battle Of Favourite Episode Cliffhangers - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie O! Tannenbaum, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +502
    1 - The Avenger - season 3 - As Julia left the valley, in a blaze of glory?

2 - The Price of Freedom - season 9 - Maggie's shocking exit.

3 - United We Stand - season 2 - Jacqueline makes an announcement.

4 - Dead End - season 7 - The old Gioberti home becomes history.

5 - The Intruder - season 5 - Angela's surprise from Italy.

6 - Family Reunion - season 1 - Jaqueline's visit is over. Will she return?

7 - Echoes - season 5 - Anna Rossini's revenge on Angela.

8 - Charley - season 9 - Angela is smothered in her bed.

9 - The Aftermath - season 3 - Maggie falls on the stairs.

10 - The Phoenix - season 5 - Angela's priest grandson is introduced.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Soapchat's favourite Falcon Crest cliffhangers:

S03 E27 - The Avenger
    S09 E01 - The Price of Freedom
    S02 E11 - United We Stand
    S01 E16 - The Good, The Bad and The Profane
    S04 E27 - ...And The Fall

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Next:

upload_2018-10-4_16-32-7.png

Do you have 10 (or less) favourite cliffhangers?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    1. Secrets Cry Aloud
    Season Five

Love or hate Karen’s Valley Of The Dolls storyline, the imagery surrounding it was some of Knots’s most shamelessly melodramatic. Wildly flinging open cupboard doors and rifling through bottles in a bid to find that last elusive little Escandine. At the zenith of the storyline and the nadir of Karen’s addiction came one of the most striking visuals.

After Psycho’s shower scene, and before Dallas’s, the running water was used to create a feeling of tension. It provides as much of a soundtrack as the orchestral music scoring the scene. And it works. With the escalation of Karen’s addiction, we know from the start of the scene - just as Mack does - what lies behind that screen door can only be bad news. We’re given a twenty second build up and in those twenty seconds we get Mack’s POV shot of the shower screen and then a dramatic pan down to the empty bottle of prescribed medication. Even after Mack opens the screen and sees his wife, it feels like the camera holds on his face forever before we see what he does:

Karen slumped in the tub; strands of wet hair falling over her face; the running shower covering her in water droplets; mascara bleeding from her staring-but-unseeing eyes to the point they look like two empty sockets.

Its soapy greatness could not be shaken from my head the first time I watched, and even today it still holds up as a great image. Take a look at @JROG's signature if you don't believe me.

2. The Forest For The Trees
    Season Six

I love how layered, implicit and unspoken the drama is here. It’s a simple little scene in which Nurse Wilson tries to telephone Karen. It's a moment that could change the course of several lives, not least Val's since Nurse W. knows the truth about her babies. Instead of Karen, Nurse Wilson finds herself speaking to Val and loses her nerve. The power comes from a connection to the characters - all three coming from different places - and that wonderfully evocative score (is it Jerrold Immel? I have a feeling it may be). It’s another that I couldn’t shake because it was so beautifully played. And in the space of a few moments, with Nurse Wilson’s unspoken change of heart comes an ending on several levels. The first time I watched I had a horrible feeling that guilt-wracked Nurse Wilson was contemplating suicide.

3. Ipso Facto
    Season Six

Abby at her most mischievously playful stumbles upon a horrifying discovery and we see her through a glass darkly, the reflection telling us just enough while hiding even more. It’s another piece of Knots iconography that once seen is impossible to forget.

4. Celebration
    Season Four

Before there was Laura Palmer, another young woman’s body washed ashore, and the secrets and shadows of this small town were forced out into the open. The direction is wonderful - cutting through the still image of Lisa Hartman’s blue eyes into the darkness of the cold ocean with the score at its most unsettling as we find Ciji’s lingerie-clad body. In a plot-driven show, this scene would have brought the season to a close. And it’s certainly strong enough to have done that in its own right. This being Knots, characters got to experience the fallout for another four episodes and the skein got more and more complex.

5. One Kind Of Justice
    Season Five

Lilimae serves up slo-mo southern style justice with a side of Chip. Shocking because it breaks all the rules of how series regulars are supposed to behave - and so how is there possibly going to be a way back from this.

6. The Best Kept Secret
    Season Four

What I love about this scene is how it taps into the very human quirk of using music as an expression of what one is currently experiencing. Rather than the music being a backdrop, Lisa Hartman’s performance of If Love Must Go becomes pure Broadway, with each of the characters being swept up because the lyrics perfectly sum up where they’re at. It summarises their arcs so far and sets us up for more. So it succeeds both as a key moment in a story and as an autonomous music video. Watch the character’s expressions. Val looking longingly at Gary. Richard seething away as he sees his restaurant being bastardised. Diana at her most frail and ingenuous. Karen luxuriating in a mire of self pity after giving her cheating boyfriend Mack the heave ho. Chip, Gary, Kenny and Jeff all watching their discovery with varying agendas. There’s so much subtext and it’s given an emotion-packed three and a half minutes to breathe.

7. Weighing Of Evils
    Season Six

Karen’s winning little speech to Mack about enjoying the small moments with him is beautifully scored by Lance Rubin. It’s a sweet moment which proves that amongst the OTT drama of a bullet lodged in the spine causing paralysis and death (the cliffhanger here comes from this being Karen's goodbye to her loved ones - perhaps forever), Knots is still in touch with the rather more prosaic sensibilities of the first few seasons.

8. Critical Condition
    Season Three

Sid’s message to Karen is heartbreaking. Such a beautiful scene. But also cliffhanging because of the sudden, unexpected and truly show-changing events that pulled the rug out from under the audience as much as the characters.

9. We Gather Together
    Season Six

“Gary and I are a little late again, as usual”. Thanksgiving: Knots-style.

As this took place in the middle years, the reactions are appropriately big and the comment echoes around the room, giving each of the primary characters a chance for a dramatic close up as the significance of Val’s comment dawns on them. Once again, Jerrold Immel uses a familiar recurring piece of music for full impact.

10. Do Not Fold, Spindle Or Mutilate
    Season Eight

One of Knots’s most disorientating scenes. Each time I watch, I still have that feeling that I’ve missed a scene somewhere. Which is the entire point, of course.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    A few more that I had to leave off...

Sacred Vows

Season Five
    So big a reveal they got Vivaldi in.

Distant Echoes
    Season Eight
    Terrified Karen being forced to cut her own hair is more satisfying to watch than I’d care to admit.

I’ll Tell You No Lies
    Season Five

The human kebab.

The Gift Of Life
    Season Nine

Laura’s fateful drive.

Straight Down The Line
    Season Ten

Bathtub electrocutions are devilishly dark.

Silent Missions
    Season Five

The news of Gary’s murder is made more discomforting by seeing the hope in Val’s eyes as she drives towards the news.

The Fatal Blow
    Season Four

Val confesses to murder.

The Emperor’s Clothes
    Season Six

“What if Val’s babies didn’t die?”

Fly Away Home
    Season Six

“Call him yourself... ‘Cookie’”. When this first aired here, there was an issue with the signal and the TV picture was negative for the last couple of minutes of this episode, making it look even more ghoulish and chilling.

Vulnerable
    Season Six

Ackerman blows his brains out.

Thicker Than Water
    Season Seven

“I’m your daughter.” Pure, daytime soapy goodness.

Lead Me To The Altar
    Season Six
    Gary interrupts Verna’s wedding.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    1. Sacred Vows (season five): As Gary and Abby go on their honeymoon, Gary (and a sizeable chunk of the audience) nearly s--ts his pants when the room-service girl looks just like "dead" Ciji.

2. Secrets Cry Aloud (season five): Karen taking a leisurely (if incoherent) shower was the shocker at the end, but there was also Ben storming out of Val's house when she lets him know she's pregnant by Gary and not by Ben.

3. Lest the Truth Be Known (season five): Pressures from all directions forces Laura into spilling all of Abby's beans regarding Lotus Point, St. Claire, and the Wolfbridge Group to Mack and Karen. "Apolune is Abby's company!"

4. Rise and Fall (season seven): Joshua fall down, go boom. How will Lilimae and Cathy explain this?

5. The Inside Man (season eight): While Paige's lies are catching up with her as she ingratiates herself into the MacKenzies' lives, the final shot features a snowy tombstone saying Paige Matheson died in 1985.

6. In Mourning (season eight): After someone seems to have been killed in the whole Jean Hackney drama, Val drops by to visit Laura (in an effort to find out what she knows about the shooting). After an entire episode of speculation/foreshadowing that Ben really did kill Greg, Greg walks into the ranch. Laura is relieved, but Val nearly poops her pants because this must mean Ben is the actual shooting victim.

7. Poor Jill (season ten): Just how did a bound and gagged--and dead--Jill end up in the trunk of Gary's jaguar?

8. My Firstborn (season eleven): Mary Frances has returned in a cloud of mystery, a mystery which only intensifies when she is the victim of a bullet fired through the window of Greg's office by the end of the episode. Was Mary Frances the intended target?

9. God Will (season twelve): Assumed-dead Jeff turns up at the otherwise-deserted studio, with Karen unaware that he's her stalker, and Danny is seen face-down in a swimming pool, eyes wide open but dead as a doornail.

10. I'll Tell You No Lies
    (season five): It would have been shocking enough for Ciji-lookalike Cathy to run into an escaped fugitive Chip in the barn. That was nothing compared to how fate intervened to, as Mel said, send him to Shish-Kebab City. The face of his final victim became the last image in his head before he died. This also started KL's tradition of dispatching their worst villains on the business-end of various sharp objects.

Honorable Mentions:
    Past Tense
    (season eight): Phil sets fire to the house he'd held Karen in, leaving her to mug for the camera and ugly-cry. But seriously, it got really action-hero(-ine) for a change.

The Heat of Passion
    (season ten): Everyone knew Donna Mills was leaving the series. The big question was just how would Abby leave? So when the whole Murakame/Lotus Point caper was revealed to Karen, she confronted Abby at a party with a strident "You're going to JAIL!", causing many of us in first-run viewing to wonder if ol' Abs really was going to get what was coming to her. We ought to have known better than that, but hey...it was 1989; we were all so young and impressionable.

Awakenings (season seven): Lilimae still thought Ben was the father of the twins, so when she made some innocent remarks to Gary about the physical traits of the twins, his face did that "Oh, my God!" thing Ted S does so well, the first inkling Gary had that the twins were likely his.

Only Just Begun (season eleven): Danny gets sloppy drunk and runs over Patricia in the cul-de-sac driveway.

Return Engagement (season twelve): Jeff's scheme to kill Karen involves his apartment exploding with her in it. The explosion would be triggered by a car-phone set that Jeff gave Karen and Mack. We see Karen arrive, then Meg (across town) playing with Mack's phone. The apartment explodes, and then Meg obliviously says, "Nobody home..." and puts down the phone.

• Winner Winner x 5
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    This will need some thinking through as there's so many great cliffhangers to choose from. So how long do we have to complete our lists?

8. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    A very long time!:)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    I submitted mine a bit early because @Willie Oleson appeared at my home in a black wig and ugly glasses, waving a bottle of pills. I still have "Poor Daniel! Poor Daniel!" echoing in my head. But I managed to get that list up on the site in record time, so he considers it time well spent. He's getting really serious about making sure we all participate.

BTW Willie, I'd really like my other rubber glove back. I can't....clean things with only one glove, now can I? You can drop it in FedEx when you get a chance. But please knock first this time. I'll be...rather busy.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I'm making a ver detailed list of all the soapchatters who do not participate in this thread.

And they're gonna WISH I'd use rubber gloves.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Promises! Promises!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    1. S06 E05 - Ipso Facto
    upload_2018-10-9_0-47-24.png upload_2018-10-9_0-47-39.png
    Even without knowing how this storyline is going to pan out, secret information being revealed to the wrong person is always a big thing.

2. S04 E18 - Celebration
    upload_2018-10-9_0-53-41.png upload_2018-10-9_0-53-59.png
    How very sad to die on the day of her album debut. Are CiJi's eyes looking at the killer?

3. S05 E05 - One Kind Of Justice
    upload_2018-10-9_1-6-33.png upload_2018-10-9_1-6-52.png
    It's hard to decide which part of this scene is the most shocking.

4. S07 E11 - To Sing His Praise
    upload_2018-10-9_1-8-52.png upload_2018-10-9_1-9-6.png
    It looks as if Gary Ewing has walked into another reality: tacky red rooms with bleeping and flashing machines, and human-like oompa loompa's in white coats.

5. S10 E16 - Poor Jill
    upload_2018-10-9_1-24-33.png upload_2018-10-9_1-24-50.png
    One of the few things I remembered from reading the KL episode synopses, many years before I watched the series.
    But if I hadn't then this would have been a total shocker.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    6. S09 E22 - Full Disclosure
    upload_2018-10-9_1-38-10.png upload_2018-10-9_1-38-22.png
    A surprise letter!

7. S08 E29 - Do Not Fold, Spindle Or Mutilate
    upload_2018-10-9_1-39-26.png upload_2018-10-9_1-39-41.png
    Who's looking at who? How can they look both guilty and surprised? It's just one of those brilliant, innovative Knots things.

8. S05 E07 - Sacred Vows
    upload_2018-10-9_1-44-58.png upload_2018-10-9_1-45-14.png
    It almost plays out as a comedy of errors, and out of context it looks like a Cointreau or Chanel commercial.
    But the music is neither funny nor suspenseful so, just like Gary himself, I just don't know what to think of it.

9. S08 E20 - A Plan Of Action
    upload_2018-10-9_1-53-21.png upload_2018-10-9_1-53-34.png
    There is no escape, the nightmare continues.

10. S08 E13 - The Inside Man
    upload_2018-10-9_1-54-41.png upload_2018-10-9_1-54-56.png
    Could she be an impostor after all? And why? What could she possibly want from Mack MacKenzie?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,581
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I´ll omit those episode endings that belong to the self-contained installments of the early seasons, with such wonderfully cryptic freeze-frames as the ones from "The Lie", Part 1 of "Bottom of the Bottle", or "Land of the Free" :giggle:"Will the Circle Be Unbroken".

Being the best written and directed of the 4 major soaps, I decided to take into account both things to make my selection. So here is my Top 10 (sorry to have missed the previous polls!). :fp:

1 - Season 2, Part 1 of "Hitchhike". Despite being a two-hour self-contained episode, the last shot of this part, a sequence-shot zooming into Sid´s face, remains in my memory as something that wouldn't have been done that way in any other soap. At least not directed or acted that way (poor, poor Sid).

upload_2018-10-10_20-11-25.png
    "Hope to be jailed and not to see Diana again!"​

2 - Season 9, "There Are Smiles". As if she were eye-rolling about something Abby said, Laura subtly drops a bomb on her husband Greg: she´s gonna die and wants to eat her last pizza. Or something. Heartbreaking.

upload_2018-10-10_20-12-50.png
    "I´ve been f*ckin´ fired, Devane!"
    3 - Season 6, "Fly Away Home". In full Little Foxes mode, Abby lets Paul Galveston die probably because that´s the best way he stops calling her "cookie". And he did stop.

upload_2018-10-10_20-14-56.jpeg
    "Who cares about dying, Cookie? I got a long
    contract with Lorimar and I´m gonna play
    a Senator on "Dallas" next week!"​

4 - Season 7, "Alterations". In one of the unfrequent freeze-frames of the show, this episode features a distraught Abby in her car, after having to endure the shame of being rejected by her little sweet daughter Olivia in front of her much-loathed sister-in-law Karen. Tonya Crowe nailed the scene and even shadowed Ms. Mills´ (with her ok, likely).

upload_2018-10-10_20-21-21.jpeg
    "Wanna get revenge on mum? Tell her
    her mascara ran and looks 60!"​

5 - Season 2, "Choices". This scene is more special for its transcendence history-wise than for the way it was shot or acted, since it paved the way for Abby & Gary´s illicit romance. Anyway, I do love that innocent smile that Abby uses when she tells him: "Are you ready for me?". Were you kidding, Abster? Gary was a Texas Ewing stud and they probably did freeze-frame her because he was already taking off his jeans...! (Yeah, I know, not really but...)

upload_2018-10-10_21-19-10.png
    "I´d say that size matters. What do you think, Gary?"​

6 - Season 8, "No Miracle Worker". In this memorable episode full with strongly emotional scenes regarding Olivia´s addiction and Abby´s ineptitude to handle that issue, a simple, short scene with nothing to do with it marks the ending. Someone knocks on Mack´s hotel door and he opens it: it´s Little Mama Michelle Phillips, aka Anne Matheson, making her big entrance in the show.
    She hardly speaks, but sure she´s gonna stir up trouble. Michelle looks lovely, innocent and sweet. One of these things is a big fat lie. Another transcendental scene for those of us who had so much fun with her latter reappearance as a wisecracking, snarky and snobbish but very special Mama from Hell!

[​IMG]
    "Hi Mack! I´m the Queen Mother..."​

7 - Season 10, "The Pick-up Game". One of the show´s iconic scenes with Greg & Paige by the swimming-pool in the Sumner ranch...you know, the one filled with water infested with sharks!! Sexy, intriguing and a little incestuous because, you know, he could be her father! At least for his age...Next episode they turned out not to do it, at least by the pool...

[​IMG]
    And, someday into the future, Paige was
    eventually devoured by a shark and regurgitated...​

8 - Season 10, "Straight Down the Line". In an episode plagued with classic movie references and b/w clips, the last shot turning to sepia-tone is a masterful touch that makes Abby and Ted a couple made in hell, for sure. If she had just stayed a little longer and he had left a little earlier...

[​IMG]
    "...me and the Abster! We are whoooooor*s!!""​

9 - Season 13, "Eye of the Beholder". Linda´s murder at PsychoBrian´s strong hands isn´t remarkable only because the character had been shown lately as someone nobody really liked, but also for such a graphic staging, so much that current re-runs just edit the throat-cutting part out. I found this scene unexpectedly cruel and pushing the envelope re. violent scenes on TV. Give this a thought: what current show (with or without cops or detectives) hasn´t done a scene similar to this one showing even more blood? But it came across as shocking, just like Ackerman´s suicide in Season 6´s "Vulnerable" (another censored image and another way of pushing the envelope with violent scenes).

[​IMG]
    Poor Val, poor Jill, poor Sid...why not poor Linda?​

10 - Season 11, "Only Just Begun". To be totally honest, the only thing I dislike about this episode-ending montage is how it´s wrapped up with the "You Are So Beautiful" song, not because I don´t like it (I love it!), but for the lack of true significance of this theme in the Williams´ couple´s past, as far as we know. Why are we hearing this song, is it being played on the radio, Joe Cocker is on the Mackenzies´ TV or Danny is hallucinating about it? I find it a cheap way to waste a great song in an already effective turn of events. Can you imagine Bobby being killed on "Dallas" with "Only You" in the soundtrack?

upload_2018-10-10_21-1-43.png
    "Oh Frank...shall I resurrect in the shower, too?"
    "Umh, I don´t think so. Patrick Duffy you ain´t!"​

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Excellent choices, thanks Toni.
    Gee, I can't believe I forgot Anne's first appearance.
    I don't remember this, but I'm going to check it out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,372
    1. One Kind Of Justice
    2. Celebration
    3. Critical Condition
    4. I'll Tell You No Lies
    5. Alterations
    6. Ipso Facto
    7. Silent Missions
    8. Poor Jill
    9. The Fatal Blow
    10. Do Not Fold, Spindle Or Mutilate

• Like Like x 2
  17. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,581
    I have to say that there is no episode cliffhanger of KL mentioned here that I wouldn´t add to my Top Ten list...This must be one of those Knots things that no other supersoap has...

upload_2018-10-14_22-43-14.png

...And Knots has it too!!​

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Friday it's going to be the last round - Dallas!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,581
    upload_2018-10-18_0-58-56.jpeg

:dance::dance::dance:

20. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    Friday night always was Dallas night....