Favourite type of documentary?

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by Emelee, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    Do you prefer documentaries about tragic events, historical documentaries, biographies about celebrities, fascinated life destinies, accidents, animal or nature documentaries, science documentaries, space/universe, crime documentaries, documentaries about music, series or movies etc etc ?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,916
    Medals:
    It depends on the topic (what part of history, what celebrity, what kind of music etc)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,493
    Medals:
    I like most of the genres you mentioned, but I mostly like crime docs (for some reason especially ones set in the 70's and 80's). I like to see real people recount their version of events. I also like biographies of famous people or bands, and also about the making of iconic movies and/or albums. I watch a lot of nature documentaries too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    Medals:
    I'd say these genres tend to catch my interest most often. I also enjoy documentaries about pop culture topics (for example, one that I watched recently on Studio 54) which can fall into most of those categories I quoted above, I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,751
    Medals:
    Great question - I love anything true life and documentaries are a must for me. I love anything about serial killers or true life mysteries. Also world tragedies and disasters. All joyful stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    Naturally. I love animals, but I would not watch a documentary about snakes or crocodiles.

7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,690
    Medals:
    I really like biographical documentaries, not necessarily of celebrities but anyone who had an interesting life or achieved something of note.

The documentary called Marley (2012), which told the life story of Bob Marley is one of my favourites because they had great access to those close to him who were very open and honest about the man, they were able to use some rarely seen video footage, he had a fascinating life and they illustrated it with a soundtrack made of his music.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I love mostly all documentaries, specifically crime. However, I tend to prefer ones about murders that occurred years before and remain unsolved.

• Like Like x 1
  9. blissann

blissann Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6
    travel documentaries

10. blissann

blissann Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I really love travel documentaries, currently like cooking shows for both the food and travel inspiration! Some favorites: Chef’s Table, anything with Anthony Bourdain, the amazing show/book by Samin Nosrat: Salt Fat Acid Heat

11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Anything about the wildlife of Africa and especially if Sir David Attenborough is narrating. I'm glued and not to be disturbed :mad: :p

12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,824
    Medals:
    I'm kind of varied on what I like. I love anything about old Hollywood, bios on actors, the studio system and that sort of thing. I love documentaries on any of the big designer fashion houses. I also love documentaries about the 2nd world war. I think that's because as a child I could never really understand how that chain of events occurred that set in motion a world war. As a 36 year old man I am still none the wiser. But the wars I have seen since have been equally as baffling to understand.

I don't often watch travel documentaries or ones about crime or murderers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    WWII for me, I was never interested in such things but over the past 10 years I've really had a hunger and a thirst for info - how, why...etc.

To this day I still cannot comprehend the actual horror of WWII - such pure evil at work in so many different ways. Maybe that's why I'm so hungry for it, because my brain simply can't compute what happened to millions of people because of one evil man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,796
    Medals:
    I like travel documentaries and first watching Micheal Palin in Around the world in 80 days opened my eyes up to travelling to far flung corners of the globe to see different cultures, places, lifestyles and made me ambitious to see the world

Also like Sue perkins on her travels

Until then I liked to fry on a beach in Tenerife/Spain for 8 hours an day and all 14 days of my holiday in my teens.

I also like some but not all documentaries on animals and feel that Scottish broadcaster Gordon Buchanan is fab and prefer him to Mr Attenborough who is a bit same-ey now!
    Like anything to do with Elephants, Pandas, Tigers in particular

I like biographies but it depends who it is, i loved history at school and like Simon Schama type documentaries abut Kings and Queens of old or The war WW1 and 2,
    I also find anything to do with the plight of Jewish people in the war shocking but I want to know more and be educated re why it happened

Not a fan of cooking programs or science/space related shows