FC jumps the shark.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Jock Og, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    Medals:
    As with DALLAS and DYNASTY there were jump the shark moments on our beloved wine orientated show. Which one stood out for you? Maybe Jacqueline was disposed off too soon, even though she could never in practice have been a regular character. Was the early termination of the cartel’s treasure plot another? Or how about the culling of a favourite character as a step too far e.g. the gold digging blonde bombshell Terri Hartford Ranson Channing in the 1986 earthquake and then the beautiful Melissa Agretti Cumson Gioberti breathing her last, post the fire of 1988.

A year earlier when Chase presumably went under in the SF bay his aunt Angela was rocked by a revelation, regarding Richard. Was Jacqueline so evil that she deprived her arch nemesis of being a mother, to a son who became so turbulent? Did this plot twist tarnish or enrich the show?

Angela isn’t over the moon that Richard is her son, presumed dead at birth but who actually survived and was stolen, by her arch rival Jacqueline Perrault and Angela’s first husband Douglas Channing.

There is an incident, in which Angela’s pool man tries to blast Richard. A scene ensues which Richard believes is a candid camera moment, (a scene from season 7, 1987-’88):

Angela: “Jacqueline Perrault is not your real mother. I am!”

Richard: “Oh!”

He then begins laughing hysterically, as Emma and Angela watch his antics.

Richard: “Oh god, where’s the hidden camera boys?”

He walks over to one of Angela’s hedges, “come on, come on out of the bushes. The game’s over. The jigs up.”

Richard then puts his hands on Emma and Angela’s shoulders and says to his new found mother, “damn it woman you know I just love your sense of humour.”

He walks away from them.

Angela speaks to him again: “You might as well hear the rest of it.”

• Like Like x 6
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    To me, this is always the line in the sand for FALCON CREST. The network (Earl Hamner said it was just one person at CBS) insisting that the nazi plot was too distasteful and should be eliminated 10 episodes before the end of Season 4 is the point where the series' clarity and forward thrust are killed and killed forever.

Everything that followed for the remaining 5 years of the show is just sour vinegar. The vintage has been ruined. Season 5 was cluttered and drab, as were all the shows from the 85/86 year, curiously. Season 6 had the most potential of the later years and seemed like a revival for FC, just as the 86/87 year seemed for all the shows (except DYNASTY, which stayed horrible) but even it got too silly by the end. Season 7 was too frenetically shlocky. Season 8 tried to get serious again but didn't remember how. Season 9 was like a different show.

But behind the camera, the jump the shark moment for CREST had to be the weird firing of show runner Robert McCullough, the man who'd made FC a hit to begin with but whom some Lorimar exec didn't "like".

And the series was never, ever, ever the same.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,734
    Medals:
    Yes, this would be my personal jump-shark moment. I preferred the story of the cold-blooded Jacqueline who gave her own son to Denault, and then puppeteered Richard's life via her position in The Cartel.
    I'm sure she disliked her strong-willed sister-in-law, but Jacqueline didn't strike me as a person who cared enough to do something so personal.
    Because Jacqueline had more important things to do.
    Richard being Angela's son (and no longer Chase's half-brother!) didn't enrich the story at all, imo.

Re-writing all that history from the show's finest seasons is like saying "it didn't happen. it was just a dream".
    I wouldn't say it destroyed FC, because the show started to fizzle out in season 7, so there wasn't much left to destroy. Well at least that's how I have experienced it.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Medals:
    I didn't mind about the rewrite of Richard's maternal parentage. At the end of season 2 when Jacqueline was revealed as the cartel's chief she asked Richard to leave California but he didn't accept her request. I thought she did this out of love for him because he might have been in danger. The Angela versus Jacqueline rivalry was dirty at times. However did Mrs. Perrault loose her moral composs when she stole Angela's new born is another matter. It was hazy in definition of why she done it, with Douglas. The geology of Richard having Gioberti blood in him created a new era, taking over from Chase as the leading man. What went on between Angela and Dicky four seasons before got even nastier early to mid season 7 that is until Angela was shot. Then she softened towards him but then went all back to not liking him the next year. So it is a matter of opinion. As regards jumping the shark it was Melissa's death. Pilar tried very hard to fill the void left by an original character. In my opinion this did not happen.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    As @Willie Oleson has said before, Jacqueline was worth even more to the show dead than alive. And I liked Maggie's S3 uncovering of La Lana's shadowy background, so I'm fine with her being killed off in 1983. And the idea that Douglas and Jacqueline had stolen Angela's baby Richard was an intriguing one, but they didn't seem to put much effort into explaining why or what would compel Angela's beloved hubby/ex-hubby Douglas to do something like this to her.

I do like my logical idea that young Lana Turner had tricked Douglas into believing someone else had sired Richard (an Agretti?) to coax him into complicity in the babynapping, before Douglas later figured out the ruse, leaving Richard much of The Globe as a result.

Bad Lana.... wanton, evil Lana.....!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,734
    Medals:
    This (and more of Jacqueline's past) could have been a (half-) season-long plotline, instead of creating yet another Cartel.

They did it so well on Peyton Place, how it was explained that Catherine Harrington (as Anne and Steven's mother) was the source of all evil.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    I don't really remember Falcon Crest that well as I've only watched it once the whole way through. I started with the last season first and then I really liked Lance and Pilar.
    But then I saw the whole show and prefered Lance and Melissa. Then I tried to watch it again but got stuck somewhere after about 70 episodes. I think it was because I couldn't find the videotape I had taped it at.

Anyway I guess the jumping the shark moment for me would be when Ana Alicia came back as a new character. :(
    It makes me think that they never should have killed off Melissa to start with.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Medals:
    Chase was an okay character until he thought Maggie was pregnant with Wainright's baby, after being raped. Then he almost abondoned her, after 25 years of marriage, bought a red Porsche, started to date a younger woman and generally acted like a total jerk. I always wanted Chase to win in his battles with Angela but this was a battle he made for himself. His disappearance in the Bay wasn't a jump the shark moment for me. Chase just became so horrible in season 6 that I didn't care for the once upon a time N.o. 1 man any longer.

Maybe the end for Falcon Crest should have been Angela meeting the bearded man in the church. Julia could have come along as well in her nun's habit. I do understand season seven as not everyone's cup of tea although I thought Angela and Richards rocky road to reconcilation was entertaining.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Medals:
    The Riebmann treasure story being terminated way too early was clearly an error of judgement. Despite what went on behind the camera there was considerable mileage with this one.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    I, too, became bored-to-death with the eternal slew of encroaching Night of the Endless Merger storylines on FC with one shadowy cartel after another comin'-to-getchya.

I frankly can't remember, because I haven't seen the later seasons in many years, but did anyone ever suggest or imply that they were in fact different factions of the same cartel??

Yes. Karma seemed determined to do in this series.

• Like Like x 3