Females & politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Emelee, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    We are close to having 3 female world leaders. For the longest time, there were NO women allowed in politics. Women weren't allowed to go to school, to vote, to own property etc. 50 years ago, women were mostly housewives, taking care of the home when their husbands worked. Women were not to have opinions. Or if they had opinions, they were encouraged to keep quiet.

Flash forward to 2016. Women work, but they don't make as much money as men. Women can file police raports if they get abused, however, women still get abused quite often. Women are allowed to get high educations - in fact, more women than men get higher educations today, however, most executives are still men.

But... for the first time ever, 3 of the biggest nations can end up having female leaders - at the same time!

If Hillary is elected... Can you even imagine how surprised people would have been in year 1950 to find out that in year 2017...
    The Chancellor of Germany is named Angela Merkel.
    The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is named Theresa May.
    The President of the United States of America is named Hillary Clinton.

:eek:

I may not agree with everything these three ladies do and fight for. Especially Theresa May. But as a feminist, I am thrilled! To be part of the change, when women were liberated and could finally be independant - that is huge!

I was born in 1983 when the change had already started. But I remember how abused Hillary Rodham Clinton has been since I was a child. I remember hearing how she was mocked for how she looked, and how she dressed. I remember how ridiculed she was during the Lewinsky scandal, as if somehow she was to blame for her husband's actions. How media suggested that Bill cheated because Hillary wears pants = isn't feminine. And she was disliked for being strong with her own opinions instead of being a cookie-baking housewife.

Had she left Bill when he was President, she would probably have been disliked for that. And she was disliked by some for staying. It's obvious that in the eyes of the public & media, she was damned either way! I don't remember media leaving her alone in her darkest time. She was hounded and ridiculed. I remember feeling so sorry for her. I was on Crete, Greece when Bill confessed, and when I got back home, I followed the news like most others. I remember reading & listening to the news coming in from the US, the compassion I felt for her was the feeling I remember mostly.

I remember hearing how Hillary was forced to change her name to Clinton. She wanted to keep on being Hillary Rodham. But because they lived in Arkansas, Bill's political career was in jeopardy because his wife didn't have his name! So for his career's sake, she got rid of her family name.

I remember hearing how she was told to keep quiet about her opinions when she was only the wife of Bill. And that her clothing + being strong/opinionated made some people joke that she was the "co-President", that she wore the pants in the family, that Bill is probably secretly homosexual etc. Even on late night talk shows like Leno and Letterman.

Even in this election, in year 2016, she has the big disadvantage of being a woman. One mistake by Hillary seems to be as horrible as 50 mistakes by Donald. She still has the burden of Bill's actions hanging over her. It's Bill's inappropriate sexual actions vs Donald's inappropriate sexual actions in reality --- not Hillary's inappropriate sexual actions. But she gets to be responsible for her husband.

Donald can tell lie after lie after lie, but no one cares. Would that happen if his opponent wasn't named Hillary Clinton?

As a social democrat, I would have loved to see Bernie Sanders as President. But as a feminist human being, I will be thrilled if Hillary wins. After all horrible crap, she deserves it - and the women of the world deserves a female President. Girls of the world deserves to know that if they have opinions & motivation, nothing have to stand in their way to reach as far as a human can reach. And I see no reason for men to be happy for women. Afterall, they have mothers, sisters and/or daughters. I often tell my dad that having only women in his family (mom + 2 daughters), he should be a vocal feminist. Cause if he doesn't want me & my sister to have the same opportunities and rights as men, then we're gonna have a big problem.

Finally - never confuse feminism with hating men. Cause that is called Misandry; being a misandrist.

• Like Like x 3
  2. McGarrett

McGarrett Guest

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    pfffffffffffttttt. Poor disbarred kkk lovin pedi defending Hillary is the pillar of truth..

• Like Like x 1
  3. TomParks2016

TomParks2016 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +425
    Too bad Hillary lost to Obama in 2008......nobody could do worse than Obama

• Like Like x 2
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    Three of the countries with the biggest economies in the world, USA, Germany and the UK, could soon all be lead by women. It's about time the USA had a female President: India, Pakistan, Poland, Brazil, Switzerland and even Jamaica beat them to having a female leader.

• Like Like x 1
  5. McGarrett

McGarrett Guest

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Lets have a female president just for the sake of it..

Who cares if she us corrupt, a liar, criminal, inept..

We need a female in there..

smh

• Like Like x 4
  6. McGarrett

McGarrett Guest

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tatianna

Tatianna Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +803

As sickening to think about as that is............, now all those phony Hollywood elites are will not be leaving. :hair::cry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. McGarrett

McGarrett Guest

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Let's face it.. They were never leaving anyway..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tatianna

Tatianna Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +803
    I know, that's what makes them phony. They wouldn't even entertain the idea of leaving a country which has allowed them the FREEDOM to attain the high ranking status they enjoy on a daily basis and every 4 years they are needed to get the vote out for undeserving Democrats who can't do it on their own record.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +682
  11. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +425

The fine folks from 1950 would be pretty appalled to see what has happened to the country they knew. I no sympathy for Hillbilly because she is no victim. She made her "I'll turn a blind eye for my own political gain" pact will Bubba Bill early on in their relationship. She has bullied and slandered anyone who has gotten in her way. I have no respect for a woman who has given birth and still believes it's okay to abort a baby who is completely viable on it's own. I have no respect for a woman who abused her position as SOS to fatten her bank account and ignored desperate pleas for help from her employees she was sworn to protect. I have no respect for a woman who used the President to stay out of federal prison. And I have no respect for a woman who used money from her "charitable" foundation to pay for her daughter's wedding. She does not deserve my vote.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +482
    The wage gap is simply the average earnings of men and women working full time. It does not count for different job positions, hours worked, or different jobs.

I'm sure women are more likely to be victims in domestic abuse cases, but men can still be victims of violence as well. I'm a man, yet I lock my doors, I'm extra vigilant when I go out at night, etc.
    That's just it. I don't care if the President is a man, woman, gay, straight, Christian, Jewish, or an atheist. What matters is where they stand on policy, are they prone to flip-flopping, have they done anything unethical or illegal, etc. However, the DNC chose to ignore that in the pursuit of nominating their first female presidential candidate. That's why you have Clinton supporters like Madeleine Albright saying there's a special place in hell for woman who don't support other woman, the labeling of Bernie Sanders and his supporters as sexists, and so on. The DNC scheduled the debates around football and threatened to attack Sanders over his religious views. Where was their impartiality? Where was their tolerance? The Democratic Party was once seen as home to progressives, but has been taken over by corporatists, war hawks, and corrupt establishment hacks.

Now let's look at Trump. He has said horrible things about women, the disabled, and minorities. His foreign policy consists of killing the family members of terrorists. He wants American Muslims to register in a database, and he wants to keep foreign Muslims from traveling to the US. And while I believe border security and immigration control are important, I don't think forcing Mexico to pay for a wall we build is fair or realistic. Still, as horrible as I find all of that to be, he is to the left of Hillary on trade deals like NAFTA and the TPP. Also, his defense of Social Security and Medicare is at least on par with Hillary.

Whether Trump wins or loses, having Hillary as his rival gave him his best chance at winning. He's running against a woman who supported her husband's policies of anti-gay legislation, criminal justice reform that disproportionately locked up black people, and welfare reform that hurt poor families. As a Senator, she supported the Iraq War and the Patriot Act. As Secretary of State, she was involved in the wars in Libya and Syria.

So what you end up with is a guy who says awful things, and a woman who has supported atrocious polices, misused her email account, has accepted money from Middle Eastern countries, and is involved in pay to play scandals with the Clinton foundation. Criticisms of her looks and pant suits are superficial distractions, and her sticking with Bill is her business. However, that doesn't mean her policy record and scandals are off limits.

I couldn't bring myself to vote for either of them, hence my vote for Jill Stein. However, most Trump and Clinton supporters I know have basically said they are voting against the other candidate.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,956
    Although Madeleine Albright also once said that she isn't a big believer that the world would be a better place if run by women, adding that people who think it would must not remember school.

Not that I'm against it as an experiment, but we shouldn't be naive about what the ultimate result would be, which is something less than idyllic.

On a humorous side note, has anybody ever read "Embraced by the Light" by Betty Eadie and her supposed, lengthy near-death experience? When she briefly went to heaven, she was, as an old '60s feminist, initially put off by the fact that the 13 elders were "men," but it was explained to her that everyone, each sex, has its own role and that women in power posed a certain danger, that their manipulative social skills were greater and that could pose a problem with too many of them in authority because "when evil overtakes the women, the men will easily follow." And she became resigned to the truth of it.

For all that's worth, which may be very little.

I'm not a big believer in the sanctity of women myself. Or men, for that matter. And as someone who's probably has had more women in life then men, I've found myself feeling as if all I do is provide services for them. Everything seems structured for that, while they play the victim all the way for purposes of encouraging cooperation. And they do that to other women as well as to men.

So there's this thing that goes on.

But I could never vote for Donald Trump, even though the Clintons are more pragmatic and less innocent than they were in the '90s.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    YES! Absolutely just for the sake of it! 50 years ago, women were pretty much only baby-birthing objects. It'd f'ing important for women to rule big time. 44 men in a row -- and not because they were always better than any woman.

We have the same situation in Sweden. No woman has been Prime Minister so far. It's been close a couple of times with Anna Lindh and Mona Sahlin (for the Social Democrats). One was killed and the other screwed up as party leader. There's an election in 2 years. The center-right alliance could very well win, and they have 3 female party leaders of the 4 parties in the alliance. The clearly biggest party in the alliance is Moderaterna, lead by Anna Kinberg Batra. I wouldn't be surprised if she became Sweden's first female PM.
    --- I hate her party, but.... for the sake of feminism and women, I would be happy for that at least.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    "Girls run the world now", says former Prime Minister of Sweden, Fredrik Reinfeld. And is happy saying it. There's one man who knows that it's important.
    How funny that I like him more and more after he (finally) lost the 2014 election to the Social Democrats and stepped down as party leader. I do respect that he is pro-feminism and welcoming to refugees, despite being member of a right-wing party.

16. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    I've read the boring book with statistics. Women work for free for the rest of the year now. For every year, for the SAME job, women's salaries are so unequal to men's that when you compare, they work 100% for 12 months, but only get salary for 10,5 months.
    SAME job, same positions.

When it comes to violence, you have to compare men's violence against women versus women's violence against men. And the painful truth is that the men's violence against women is winning by far. On all types of crimes: murder, manslaughter, rape, stalking, harrassment, threats etc. In none of these categories of crimes, women's violence against men are anywhere near men's violence against women.

And this isn't true for just a couple of countries: this is for ALL countries. Every 195 of them.

Is this a problem? Some might say it's not. I would say it's a helluva big problem.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I guess it depends which statistics you believe. Forbes explains the wage gap like this:

Using the statistic that women make 78 cents on the dollar as evidence of rampant discrimination has been debunked over and over again. That statistic doesn’t take into account a lot of choices that women and men make—education, years of experience and hours worked—that influence earnings. If we want to have a fruitful discussion about a gender wage gap, we should have it after the comparison is adjusted for those factors. In a 2013 Slate article, Hanna Rosin, author of The End of Men, for example, wrote:

The official Bureau of Labor Department statistics show that the median earnings of full-time female workers is 77 percent of the median earnings of full-time male workers. But that is very different than “77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men.” The latter gives the impression that a man and a woman standing next to each other doing the same job for the same number of hours get paid different salaries. That’s not at all the case. “Full time” officially means 35 hours, but men work more hours than women. That’s the first problem: We could be comparing men working 40 hours to women working 35.

I never said it was a contest. But shouldn't it go without saying that violence against anybody is wrong? Anybody found guilty of committing violence against another person should face strick penalties for it.

18. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +482
    No, not just for the sake of it. That in itself is sexist. If we're going to go that route, how about electing Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman president?

That's not to say that only men should be president. Women should have the same opportunity to run for the office as well. However, the decision has to come down to who has the best policy positions. I made the choice to vote for Jill Stein in this election because I agreed with her the most on policy. But between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, I thought Bernie was the best choice by far. And it was because of policy, not gender.

When talking about equality, I personally prefer the term "humanism" to feminism. It just sounds more inclusive to me.

As such, it should only be a victory for a woman to win if she had the best policy positions and leadership skills.

Same here. I see nothing inherently better about either gender. I care about policy, not what's between a person's legs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    Female leaders should watch out at the next world economic summit if the new US President approaches them when he has tic tacs to hand.

• Like Like x 3
  20. McGarrett

McGarrett Guest

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I was impressed by Hillary's gracious speech..

• Like Like x 4