Feud - Bette & Joan [FX]

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I do tend to believe Christina, but how much of her own aggressive forth-right personality exacerbated things, I don't know. Bette supported BD and her husband for years- she was hardly a monster that she was portrayed as. They seem to use Bette as their "meal-ticket." And BD is SOOO religious, but she seems to skip over the commandment that says to "Honor thy father and mother."

• Like Like x 4
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,973
    It's strange that Joan's twins have always denied any abuse and spoke of her with a lot of affection. I think there was more than a hint of jealousy with Christina. She wanted to be a movie star, but she just wasn't a great actress. I'm not saying that Joan was a saint, and there are many kinds of abuse. I think Joan could have been difficult to live with and perhaps she and Christina just clashed more.

• Like Like x 3
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    That bitch?

I've stopped listening to her so whatever.

4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    Oh do not.

The twins loved Joan, however bitch.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    I find Christina totally credible, if still snarkily angry. (The twins were sent off to boarding school at a much earlier age, and they weren't around Joan much when they were small). By the '70s, even Joan herself said she'd "mellowed" -- an astounding admission from the like of La Crawford.

BD Hyman is, though not entirely wrong, a pig and (as Bette said) a hymen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,973
    It's just that for someone that was apparently abused Christina does revel in talking about. She practically lights up. Any opportunity she gets she's telling that story to Larry King or Barbara Walters, or Maury or Sally or Bobby Jo or what's her name's cousin's aunt. I've lately found her to be a bit disingenuous. I saw a YouTube video with her recently being interviewed by one of the women from The View and she didn't come across well to me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    Let's just say there's a difference between watching Mommie Dearest and reading the book.

Mommie Dearest the MOVIE! is just that - movie.

I think the latest episode did well on how petty Joan could be and how much power someone like Hedda Hopper had in Hollywood! There's no one like her or Louella Parsons now and thank doG for that!

• Like Like x 3
  8. ginnyfan

ginnyfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Loving this so much. The Oscars episode was brilliant! They really filmed at the place where the Oscars were held that year and recreated the whole stage/backstage to the smallest detail. Gonna watch the latest episode tomorrow!

• Like Like x 4
  9. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,137
    It is a terrific series. I suspect there will be the same debate over whether Susan Sarandon or Jessica Lange will walk away with all the awards in the same way there was over Bette and Joan for Baby Jane.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ginnyfan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Oh, I had not idea about this supposed Joannie sex tape. How intriguing. :DAnother awesome episode! The bitching between the two at the script reading was soooo good!

The show has somehow became very much Joan-centric. I guess it's cause she's the troubled, more layered and interesting character to explore. Bette is there for a great one liner or to just say it like it is. Can't believe we only have 2 more episodes left. The show is getting better and better with each new episode and I'm excited to see what happens during the Hush hush shooting and what exactly could make Joan leave.

Here's a good article with more info on the supposed sex tape.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/feud-joan-crawford-fact-check-stag-film-brother

• Like Like x 4
  11. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Yes, Bette was definately a classic what you see is what you get take me or leave me New Englander. From the reading that I've done to try to understand my own narcissistic mother's behavior, I can tell you that Joan's childhood trauma led to the pathology of her need to create a false outer shell to keep others from discovering her underlying self loathing, which manifested itself in the narcissistic behavior of seeing her children as an extension of herself and therefore they were her possessions to do with as she pleased. Bette would probably not have won Mother Of The Year either, but I think the truth likely lies somewhere in the middle. I doubt that she and Joan were quite as awful as their daughters made them out to be in their books. I find Bette to be the more interesting of the two, which is probably because dealing with my Mommy Dearest is tiring enough , but I can see why more complicated Joan would be focused on. Susan and Jessica have really given incredible performances.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Feud Season 2 Will Focus on Prince Charles and Princess Diana

[​IMG]
    FX revealed Tuesday that Ryan Murphy’s newest anthology will tackle a story of royal proportions.
    • And you thought this year’s Oscars were exciting! On Tuesday, days before the premiere of Feud: Bette and Joan, FX announced that it has ordered a second season of Ryan Murphy’s latest anthology—a 10-episode limited series officially titled Feud: Charles and Diana. It’s news designed to delight anybody with a yen for wealth, royalty, juicy behind-the-scenes stories, and 80s/90s nostalgia. So pretty much everyone, then.
    • Though the network’s release does not provide any additional details—beyond the fact that the series will be co-written and executive produced by Murphy and Jon Robin Baitz, who’s also currently working on Murphy’s Katrina: American Crime Story—its title indicates that it will take a deep dive into the complicated relationship between Charles, Prince of Wales, and his first wife, the late Lady Diana Spencer—mother of William and Harry. The pair married in 1981, formally separated in 1992, and were officially divorced in 1996. One year later, Diana was killed in a car crash in Paris.
    • Diana has remained an ongoing object of fascination in the nearly 20 years since her death; she’s been the topic of multiple books, television programs, and movies, including 2013’s Diana (where she was portrayed by Naomi Watts) and 2006’s Oscar-winning The Queen, which focused on the royal family’s reaction to Diana’s death. Netflix’s The Crown, which premiered last fall and will chart the British royal family over the course of six planned seasons, also expects to focus on Charles and Diana in Seasons 4 and 5.
    • Since the massive success of 2016’s celebrated The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, Murphy has made a habit of developing limited series that take a fictionalized look at some of recent history’s most talked-about events. He’s following O.J. with three planned Crime Storyinstallments: Katrina, which will star Annette Bening as former Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco and Matthew Broderick as former FEMA director Michael Brown; Versace, which will feature Édgar Ramírez as the slain designer and Darren Criss as the man who killed him; and Lewinsky, which will focus on Bill Clinton’s presidential sex scandal and subsequent impeachment.
    • The first installment of Feud, starring American Horror Story mainstay Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford and Susan Sarandon as her legendary rival, Bette Davis, will premiere Sunday. Season 2 is coming in 2018.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/02/feud-season-2-princess-diana-prince-charles-ryan-murphy

• Like Like x 4
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    Haven't seen it, but I hear FEUD ends with a scene that never happened in real life: the two women sweetly apologizing to each other.

Do they blame "the patriarchy" in their last breaths, I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ginnyfan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +78
    It wasn't quite like that. That was a dream scene near the end of the episode. The last 5 minutes or so are a wonderful, touching send off for these 2 legends and their complicated relationship. I was all choked up during and after it. :(

The whole series was so good and a loving tribute to these 2 legends, old Hollywood and finally some redemption for Joan. I shall miss it so much.....

Especially loved flashback to day 1 of Baby Jane filming and the camera zooming into this moment, Bet & Joan just chatting, having fun and thinking they had a chance to work well, before the whole mess started.,....

[​IMG]host image onlinecertificity.com

• Like Like x 6
  15. Mike

Mike Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I hope for season three they do Olivia DeHavilland and Joan Fontaine around the time of the Oscars.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,134
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,137
    It was a great series. However, I thought the final episode was probably the weakest because it wasn't as strongly based in fact. That said, it was still a nice way to conclude the series.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,137
    Funny you say that because I thought they were going to do this for season 2 because Olivia de Havilland featured in regularly in season one so there would be an element of continuity. I guess it's more difficult as Olivia is still alive.

• Like Like x 3
  19. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Joan supposedly really did hallucinate during the last few days of her life and think that she was with people who were already dead, so although they did take liberties in the show, there was enough of a glimmer of truth to be a nice homage the real end of her life. And Davis's quote to the reporter who told her of Crawford's death is true. I thought that one of the most powerful moments in the finale was when Davis responds with "That's all any of us will get." after Blondel laments about the 2 seconds that Crawford gets during the "In Memorium" at the Oscars following her death. I tend to think it's very likely that a conversation somewhere along those lines probably did occur backstage that night as the realty of Crawford's death finally hit Davis and the others. And I also tend to believe that both Crawford and Davis probably did feel at least a little regret as they neared the end of their lives that they hadn't made more of an effort to get along with each other, so it made the most sense to end the show that way.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,973
    This is kind of out of nowhere but I was talking to someone the other day about the show and he told me that it was widely known that the reason that Joan Crawford hated wire hangers is because she had a botched hanger abortion when she was very young that left her unable to have children. Now... I was taken a back by this as I haven't heard it anywhere else before so I am asking here if anyone else ever heard anything like this or was his person jus spouting absolute nonsense?

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)