Feud - Bette & Joan [FX]

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    Wishful thinking, based on little or nothing.

Joan also worked as a very small girl at a hot, sweaty Texas laundry with her mother and brother who had a tiny-tiny room in the back, and the only thing Joan could do at that age was hang clothes up. And she hated the place. So that may have possibly created her antipathy for cheap, wire hangers.

Who knows?

But imagine how her hatred for that laundry and a botched abortion with a wire hanger which left her barren could have been combined into one surreal montage which ended FEUD. And Bette laughing hideously from the corners like Baby Jane.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    Someone had the patience to put together a montage of Bette and Joan's movie scenes recreated for FEUD and compare them to the original footage from the movies in question (as well as public appearances):

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Thanks a lot Gabriel! It´s a little work of love to better appreciate "Feud"!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    I just started watching the series. I'm on episode 2 but I'm enjoying it. I think both Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange are doing a excellent job portraying Joan and Bette.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    I'll admit - both really surprised me. When I first heard they had been cast I was pretty "eeeh" - but they killed it. It's scary how spot on both of them are at some points.

6. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,993
    Supreme Court won't hear Olivia de Havilland case that 'Feud' depicted her as gossipmonger The Associated Press Published 5:27 PM EST Jan 7, 2019 WASHINGTON –

The Supreme Court is declining to revive a lawsuit by Olivia de Havilland over the FX Networks miniseries "Feud: Bette and Joan," which centered on the rivalry between actresses Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. The high court on Monday said it would not take the actress' case. That means a California appeals court's decision throwing out the lawsuit stands. The appeals court unanimously ruled in 2018 that California law and the First Amendment required the lawsuit's dismissal. The 102-year-old de Havilland had objected to her depiction on the eight-part miniseries. She said her likeness was illegally used and her character, played by Catherine Zeta-Jones, came across as a vulgar gossipmonger. The 2nd District Court of Appeal said in a unanimous decision that the First Amendment rights of the show's creators clearly trump de Havilland's claims that permission to use her likeness was needed and she should have been compensated. Lawyers for Olivia de Havilland, seen here in 1998, say she wasn't consulted by FX before having someone play her in the limited series 'Feud.' Peter Freed, USA TODAY Related: 'Feud' stars on the real Bette Davis and Joan Crawford "Whether a person portrayed in one of these expressive works is a world-renowned film star – 'a living legend' – or a person no one knows, she or he does not own history," the three-judge panel wrote in its decision. "Nor does she or he have the legal right to control, dictate, approve, disapprove, or veto the creator's portrayal of actual people." The judges agreed that the logic behind de Havilland's suit would make legal action possible against "all books, films, plays and television programs that accurately portray real people." As is its usual practice, the Supreme Court did not say anything about the case in declining to hear it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)