1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Filoli vs. The Sets

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Grant Jennings, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I thought I'd make a list of actual rooms in Filoli that were replicated for sets on "Dynasty" and note the differences.

Foyer: appears to be a very close match, I can't tell if the curved walls on either side are vaulted as they are at Filoli. There is a step-down to the Reception Hall on the set which doesn't exist at Filoli (where the floors of the two rooms are level).

Reception Hall (seasons one and two only): very faithful, even the wallcovering is similar. The set is smaller, with only two sets of french doors instead of three.

Transverse Hall: the portion on the Library side of the house is similar in length and (in the first two seasons) ends with french doors as it does at Filoli. At the start of season three the french doors were replaced with a statuary niche framed by one of the door surrounds from the Reception Room. The portion of the Hall at the other end of the house has been reduced in length and ends with french doors, at Filoli it ends with the entrance to the Dining Room. The sets lack the barrel vaulted ceilings found at Filoli.

Staircase (seasons one and two): its location has shifted to the end of the Hall, aligning with the entrance to the Dining Room set (where the Study is located at Filoli); at Filoli the staircase aligns with the entrance to the Library. This shift is to accommodate the set for the Living Room (which also serves at Blake and Krystle's Bedroom and three different bedrooms for Steven). The staircase runs have been reversed left for right for filming purposes (a character can be filmed walking down the Hall from the Foyer and ascending the Staircase with only one camera set-up; two camera set-ups would be required if the Staircase weren't reversed). The wrought iron balusters are a different design from those at Filoli. The glass in the large arched window has amber-tinted glass unlike the clear panes at Filoli.

Staircase (season three through nine): it was re-positioned in the former location of the Reception Hall, opposite the Foyer. It is wider (across the landing and the space leading to the Solarium beneath it) and the off white walls have been replaced with the blue damask wallcovering from the Reception Hall. The stair treads and risers were black during the first two seasons (to imitate the marble at Filoli) but now the treads are stained wood and the risers are painted off-white. The amber-tinted glass in the arched window has been replaced with colorless glass.

Library: almost an exact replica of the Library at Filoli; the one noticeable difference being a door (to the Carrington's Dining Room) replacing a bookcase in the original.

Kitchen: a very faithful recreation of the original (and since restored) Kitchen at Filoli, it is narrower with only one window instead of two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Grant Jennings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    The following rooms at Filoli appeared in the pilot episode of "Dynasty" but were not recreated as sets:

Study: this was used as the Carrington's Music Room and is where Steven had a confrontation with the wedding planner. The Dining Room occupied this location on the set.

Dining Room: the large oak-paneled room is at the opposite end of the house from the Dining Room set used for the series.

Family Sitting Room: this second floor room (located directly over the Study) was used for filming the scene in which Krystle dressed for her wedding to Blake and signed her prenuptial agreement.

Ballroom: the location of Blake and Krystle's first wedding; subsequent large-scale events at the Carrington mansion often used the set for the Conservatory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,680
    I'm fascinated by the rooms and the recreated sets. I'm actually working on something, have been on and off for ages involving the sets. I have downloaded all the Dynasty set pictures that were on IMDB. I would love if people could post maybe screen grabs of the mansions rooms and interiors from the show. My laptop is making it very difficult for me to do this. Anyone have any pics like that post them here please.

I have always thought that the living room set was, the same set used for Blake and Krystle's bedroom and Stevens rooms. Others have said this wasn't so.
    If you look at the images of the sets from IMDB you can see that the set walls are able to moved in and out and reconfigured a few ways to make the rooms look different and for ease of filming. The sets are sort of sectional and can be made smaller or expanded.

This is actually part of DYNASTY that I really love. It had the most gorgeous mansion set. The best soap house.

4. Grant Jennings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    The second floor bedrooms were all re-configured first floor rooms. The tall double doors were replaced with shorter single doors. You can see some mistakes they made when putting sets back together. In one early episode (I think season one) the doors to Krystle's closet and bathroom appear in the Living Room; the end walls of the Living Room don't have doors in other episodes. The arched openings in the Hall were closed off when filming scenes set on the second floor; in season nine there is a scene with Fallon on the first floor where you can see one of the arches is closed off. In multiple episodes you can see through the bedroom doors across the Hall to double doors which should have been swapped out with single doors.

The set was virtually a large scale set of Legos which could be put together in different ways. The Living Room and Conservatory both have off-white paneled walls so the components are interchangeable. At the start of season five they took two sections of arched bookcases which had previously been used in Bedroom sets and added them to the Conservatory making it several feet wider (also making it asymmetrical - which is unacceptable in classical architecture).

You'll also notice that Filoli's second floor rooms (and some on the first floor as well) have narrow french doors which are only one pane across but the second floor rooms in the Carrington mansion all have wide french doors which are two panes across. The ceilings on the second floor of Filoli are lower than on the first floor but in the Carrington mansion the ceilings are the same height on both floors.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,680
    Yes to all of this! I had also noticed about the interchangeable doors for the "different floors"and most of the other things mentioned.
    Always wished I could have toured that set. Probably even more so than FilOli itself.

6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    So you're sure of this --- that the living room is also those other rooms...?

7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,680
    Well I've always been fairly certain of it. The walls all switch in and out and it can be reconfigured. What gives it away is those mistakes that he mentioned earlier where you sometimes see the wrong door used or looking out across the hallway and you see first floor doorways on what should be the second floor. It makes sense. And on later Spelling shows the same principals were used. Hotel only had,I think 3 hotel room sets. Constantly redressed and re-arranged. Melrose Place only had 2 or 3 apartment sets, that also were redressed over and over for each scene. The entire apartment complex was actually about 3 sets. Kitchen cabinets could be switched out in minutes to give a different look.

You can clearly tell Steven's room is Blake and Krystle's bedroom. Filmed tighter and with a fake wall. It makes sense that that is also the living room as it's the same exact layout. Studio space was limited, and there wouldn't have been that much room to have that much mansion set sprawling around. Not with Denver Carrington, Colby Co, La Mirage, Alexis' penthouse, Delta Rho, and later the Carlton. Which were each bigger than a one room set.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. Grant Jennings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Other than the doors, the other change was the fireplace mantle: Adam for the Living Room, Louis XV for Blake and Krystle's room, bolection style (similar to the Library) for Steven's first bedroom and a simpler Adam style for Steven's second bedroom. The bedroom Steven and Claudia shared was the Living Room set divided into a bedroom and sitting area with the fireplace moved to the end wall and the addition of bargello wallpaper inserted into the wall panels.

With the exception of a look inside Krystle's closet (not a walk-in) we never got a peek behind the doors in Blake and Krystle's bedroom, that's because the door's on Krystle's side of the room opened onto small recesses created by the curved wall of the Foyer. The doors on Blake's side of the room didn't open onto anything; in season one and two the Staircase was on the other side of the wall; after that it was the Conservatory set.

The set designers on "The Colbys" frequently used wallpaper to redress the same sets as multiple rooms; I think they did a better job the the set designers on "Dynasty" at making one set look like multiple rooms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Grant Jennings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    The one bedroom set that appears to be unique (not re-configured from other sets) is the nursery.

10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    I don't know who and how eventually came up with DYNASTY from OIL, but I want to believe scouting FiLoLi as a location may have inspired them. The place itself exudes grandeur and history.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Grant Jennings

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    It's perfect "casting", the mansion is as essential to "Dynasty" as "Tara" is to "Gone With The Wind"; I think Filoli perfectly captures "new money" Blake's aspirations of appearing to be "old money".

Ironically, for all the fuss "Dallas" made over "Southfork", I was never impressed by the house (in the series, not the mini-series) and found later redesigns and expansions of the sets to be an obvious attempt to copy "Dynasty".

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Yes, it was true the interior of Southfork was redesigned to give the home a more opulent feel to compete with Dynasty. Rather telling is the upstairs hallway with its adjoining bedrooms. The hallway became wider. I'd argue though that unlike the Carrington mansion Southfork became a character itself. The house of Carrington (Filoli) was never able to accomplish this. And it should have if only the producers of Dynasty decided to use the Filoli property much like they did on Dallas. Or better still. They should have found a property in Denver and spent a number of weeks location shooting.

13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,680
    EDIT - DUPLICATE POST.

14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    I never could locate where Fallon and Cecil were playing pool in the pilot, until Ralph Senensky said it was shot elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    Actually, FiLoLi was much more central to people's early enjoyment of DYNASTY than Southfork was to DALLAS--I even remember an article in the British press stating that the fascination with the house was a big draw of the UK audience. Southfork always looked second hand to me,while FiLoLi was so huge it would make sense why a single Fallon would choose to live there (plus her adoration of Blake) in season 1. It made no sense why full grown adults with a spouse would stay with their parents as DALLAS started, and for me it was rather artificial. But as DYNASTY moved to later seasons, they never bothered to go back to FiLoLi like DALLAS went back on location once a week, and as many people have noted, it was never shown to be cold enough or snowing as it would make sense in Denver. Then again, I never understood why DALLAS women wore fur coats. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    I think you're both right, and both not.

Obviously, Filoli was the grander, more plausible mansion for a super-rich family, yet the overlit studio version of the interiors was often as cold as a mausoleum.

Southfork was clearly the smaller house, and it was a bit far-fetched that seven multi-millionaires would reside in such a tiny dwelling (a concept that becomes ridiculous once you visit the building in person).

But your perception of the level of public fascination with either home likely depends on which show you prefer.

Southfork has the edge because, though far more modest, became inextricably linked with the fictional Ewing family who constantly strode in and out of those sliding glass doors. Filoli is much more impressive, and the real thing is quite beautiful, but the Hollywood version of it often seemed as offputting as the static acting directive the house, too, seemed constrained by.

That said, I love to fantasize about both of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    The only time I was happy to see Southfork was in "Ewing Inferno." But the aesthetic (or lack thereof) of DALLAS is one reason I was never a fan of the show in its original run (later I came to appreciate how it was focused on story in seasons 1-3 and 5-6). So you are right that this colours our perception of the houses. FiLoLi and Bill's Conti music and the title already had me excited about DYNASTY as soon as the pilot started rolling.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,680
    I deleted my duplicate post and somehow both posts went.... Hey ho!

19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,680
    This was kinda the gist of my wrongly deleted post.

20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    I don't dispute Filoli was a stunning property and worthy of the Carrington millions. Just a pity the house and surrounding property wasn't utilized as much as Southfork was.
    On viewing Dallas all those years ago I never questioned why so many family members would be living under the same roof. That came into question years later when I would read articles and the journalist would ask how is it possible this family of millionaires are all living under the same roof and sharing the one bathroom. Of course, I laugh about it now.

• Funny Funny x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)