Filoli vs. The Sets

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Grant Jennings, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I always loved the scale of the Filoli set, and how surprisingly faithful it was to the real thing. Unfortunately the super high exposure of the photography completely drained it of the grandeur and stateliness that would have made it a truly memorable setting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,554
    Let's not forget that the first two seasons were filmed in a different lot from seasons 3-6. I know the first two were shot on Fox whereas 3-6 on Warner. I am not sure about seasons 7-9. But I think the Warner studios were the overexposed ones. In contrast, the COLBYS Paramount studios had a very different look.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    Did we do a "what set changes would have liked to have made or seen?" thread, or did that die with the old soapchat 2 years ago?

[​IMG]

4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    Now I can see you're obviously right, @Grant Jennings , that the "upstairs" hall was just the downstairs hall re-dressed... I guess I just assumed the show was too disorganized to pull that off as well as it did --- and they fooled me for 30+ years.

For one thing, that pointless blue curtain on the wall of the hall upstairs (ostensibly at the top of the stairwell) is there to hide the downstairs' anteroom/vestibule/foyer/entryway/front door.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    - Because they did it on "Dynasty" first ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    So could it be, that Dynasty from seasons 7 through 9 were also filmed on Paramount sets? Because Dynasty reused a bunch of Colbys-Sets once the Colbys were cancelled.
    Or did they transport whole sets from Paramount over to Warners? :confuse:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,362
    I didn't understand that either. And of course Alexis's penthouse set was used on both The Colbys and Hotel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    It's as easy as just checking the last second of the ending credits. :re: :D
    So i just did that, and according to the credits, S1 and 2 of Dynasty were shot at Fox and the complete remaining seasons 3 through 9 at Warner Hollywood studios.
    The Colbys were entierly shot at Paramount Studios. BUT originally they did have a Warner-Logo at the end, to complete the confusion. :lol:
    So Paramount and Warners obviously shared some lots/sets, at least in the late 80s.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    Sounds like a great cliffhanger. :eek: :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +365
    It's also because the director of photography was different.
    Actually, there were two of them and the first one (first dozen of episodes) shot Katharine Ross better that the second one. Ironically, that was the contrary with Stephanie Beacham.

11. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,017
    Yeah, except in the next episode it turns out they're all ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,362
    And their hair is fabulous.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    But still WITH helicopters! That's the difference! :cool1

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brian Carrington Colby

Brian Carrington Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I found this video of drone footage of the Filoli mansion and the surrounding gardens and estate. It kind of brings home how the grounds of the estate could of been utilized if only the show was allowed to location film there. Enjoy!!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    Set to Debussy's "Maid with Flaxen Hair" which Steven played for Krystle in the first hour of the pilot.

• Like Like x 2
  16. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I agree with all living there except for far families there is a tendency to stay or at least stay close. I always though of JR having a house on the property made more sense, of course an apartment in the city as well. Bobby as the youngest I could see staying, even marrying and staying.

I could also see the 1st floor of Southfork fit the house with just some confusion, but the 2nf floor was off putting to me. Way to big, to many bedrooms, way to wide of a hall. As a ranch they’d have been better off using multiple out buildings.

I liked that Dallas seemed to use a big house where for me Dynasty didn’t feel like a place a person would live but a museum. My favorite house was Falcon Crest and it seems it was the most loyal (usually) to the original.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    That parquet flooring they used for the mansion set was awful, an so typical of DYNASTY. The Filoli floors were much better. and were, eventually, even the floors at Southfork.

18. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Jim Davis himself asked the same thing during an interview, and then reasoned, “That’s television for you.” LOL.

Southfork/Duncan Acres is actually a relatively small house that they made appear larger from the outside with some camera trickery. There’s no way that huge foyer in the upstairs hall, which appeared around season 4 or 5, could fit into that house.

But you never saw the Ewings in limos either - they were driving around in Lincolns, VWs, and station wagons (and the stray Mercedes and Porsche). This reflected the modest upbringing of both Jock and Ellie Ewing. Dallas was about making money; Dynasty was about spending money, as they say. Smart of the Dynasty producers to go in that direction; if the show had come off as a Dallas clone, it wouldn’t have been successful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    The original "Southfork" (in the mini-series) was a much better choice, it was larger with wings with separate quarters for J.R. and Sue Ellen and Gary. David Jacobs said "Cat On A hot Tin Roof" was one of his sources of inspiration so I can understand wanting to keep everyone on the ranch. The house used in the series was all wrong; it appeared to have been built well after WWII when I thought it was supposed to have been built by Miss Ellie's father (or am I mistaken?). The house is much too small - especially the second floor. I can see the first floor rooms all fitting but the second floor layout makes no sense. It got worse after the fire when they added the wide second floor corridor (live the one in the Carrington mansion). The doors in the living room opened to alcoves (not actual rooms) were a joke.

The house in "Falcon Crest" was perfectly suited to the series; it was from the right era, was elegant without being ostentatious and had just the right air or foreboding. They ruined it when they painted the trim white and hung pastel wallpapers. Later they reconfigured the living room (another mistake) and, like "Dallas" added door that led nowhere.

I think "Filoli" is perfectly suited to "Dynasty", Blake would want something that send a clear message that he was a force with which to be reckoned. Blake purchased the mansion after he had married Alexis so the choice of a Stuart-style house for his British bride is logical. Yes, the house is someone museum-like but that's what Blake was looking for: an American Versailles.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    Didn't the old ranch house Ellie grew up in burn or something before she and Jock built the mansion? I didn't have problem with the Duncan Acres house because it photographs bigger than it is.

Yes, the FC mansion was indeed perfect, until they kept destroying it (as you describe). As I often say: so goes Angela's foyer, so goes the series.

Except that Versailles had lots of color.