Finally watching (the rest of) Knots Landing 2015-2016

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Willie Oleson, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Thank you @Matthew Blaisdel for soapchat archives link.

Season 3 (untitled)

Almost the entire season focused on the aftermath of Sid's death. In soap terms this may not look so exciting on paper but I think they've done a wonderful job and it only goes to show that well-scripted drama is timeless.
    I never found it emotionally manipulative or over-the-top because it was done in such a graceful manner.
    Hats off to Michele Lee for this heartrending performance.

I don't know about you guys but I had run out of tissues long before this season had ended.

I liked Valene more than in the previous seasons, or perhaps her character had become a little bit more established. I wasn't sure how to rate her in the first seasons, wich btw, I really love for being so 70s undefined and weird-ish.
    Same goes for Lilimae. She always knows how to lighten things up, even her own unfortunate situations (ep 40. The Rose and the Briar).

The Averys (or does that spell Averies?) are still as miserable as in the previous seasons. Richard is such a sleazebag, the KL equivalent of Cliff Barnes, but he knows it so at least he's not a hypocrite. Actually I “hated” Laura more for staying married to him. Of course, walking out on a marriage is never as easy as it seems to the outsiders, especially when there's a child involved.
    And they always had these great episode endings, with unspoken words hanging in the air.
    The Night/Nervous Breakdown episode was a great payoff.

Kenny and Ginger are still…Kenny and Ginger. But I like them being part of the neighbourhood. They interact with the others every now and then which improves the sense of, well, neighbourhood-ism, I guess.
    Btw, was it Kim Langford's own voice when she did those studio sessions?

This season still has many self-contained episodes and since I've got 11 more seasons to watch (and very very eager to do so) I sometimes got a little restless. But whenever I started to watch those episodes I found myself easily engaged with them. Except "The Three Sisters" and "Silver Shadows" because they did nothing for me character- or story-wise. I think I would have appreciated these more if I had watched it as a child. But it's still Knots Landing, so I didn't skip a minute.

Valene's novel! Somehow this has revived my interest in the real Ewing saga - kinda like a spin-off from the spin-off. Weird!
    Tonight I'll start with season 4. OMG it's all so very exciting:bouncing:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 4

Everybody wants a piece of Ciji – and Chip wants a piece of everybody.

Val and Gary are having their first significant break-up, and somehow I feel it won't be the last time.
    She finds solace with Rusty and Cricket, and if I had only cared for Valene's well-being then I probably would have ended everything right there and then, because it seemed like the perfect setting to live happily ever after.
    But Val returns home, for the same reason Sue Ellen could not be with Dusty: the show must go on.
    I'm not complaining!

I must confess that I had already decided not to like Lisa Hartman (and subsequently any character she'd play on KL). Not sure why, the only reason I can think of is that I still associate her with those tacky tv movies "Roses Are For The Rich" and "Dazzle".
    But she proved me wrong: I really liked Lisa Hartman's performance as Ciji.
    And eventhough I'm not a big fan of characters singing on soaps, the music was definitely important to the story.

I couldn't help but rooting for Chip. Sure, he's two-faced scum, but he tried so hard to make everything work. He's such a male-whore, and I've always had a soft spot for whores.
    That's why I couldn't quite understand why he got himself romantically involved with Ciji as this would only complicate his plans - being in different places at the same time, pretending not to be interested in the other girl…that sort of stuff.
    And with Ciji being an healthy, no-nonsense All-American-girl who's really excited about her future career, it struck me as somewhat odd that she became so suddenly obsessed with Chip.
    I started to suspect that she would be one of those "Fatal Attraction" types but that didn't happen.
    I suppose the writers wanted to create an opportunity for Chip to have more control over Ciji, rather than just being her manager.

It was the right time for Karen to have another man in her life. Being a grieving widow for an entire season was very well done, but it was enough. They have a great sense for timing.

Diana is a peculiar character. They make it so hard for me to like her because she's always screaming blue murder, even when she's almost dying!
    Which brings me to "Abby's Choice".
    This could have turned into something extremely sappy, but in the end it all made sense to me. Especially that scene when Abby told Karen that she was not doing it for her – and thus keeping the animosity intact.
    And to be honest, in this case I think Abby was right.

The Wards are finally involved with an interesting storyline, and when Ginger confronts Gary with his betrayal I was impressed by her feisty-ness.
    It made me wonder how that would have worked had she been the show's vixen/villain.

Things are gradually falling apart and Gary starts to drink again. The fact that the alcohol is the Big Evil is perfectly emphasized by the horror-esque background music whenever he's being seduced by the bottle, as it were.

WE'RE RUINING LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES!!!

I don't think it'll get more brilliant and euphoric than this (but I hope so!).
    And to me it seems like yet another example of how Knots Landing compares to the other shows.
    Whereas other soap characters enjoy to ruin other people's lives, or simply deny their wrongdoings or even claim to be the victim themselves, Gary Ewing makes a statement about it!
    It felt very Dallas, but from a completely different angle.
    That wonderful upside down-thingy I keep feeling when watching Knots Landing. Kinda like Gary's upside down beach house: with the living room/kitchen below ground level. Fabulous!
    (I'm a sucker for beautiful staircases and interiors with unusual/varying levels).

All in all, another terrific season – very detailed in writing, acting and scenery - and in many parts more drama than soap, IMHO.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    I'm re-posting everything tonight, because you never know if it's still available tomorrow!:eek:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    [​IMG]
    Ta, KW!

:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,445
    Did it?

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 5

Untying The Knots With DALLAS & Chips Dies Twice!

So…this season is takes KL to the next level: that of traditional soap opera, like the other Big 3.
    Instead of new neighbours moving into the Ward's house, we got a politician and a dangerous cartel.
    To be honest, this required a little adjustment on my part. Not the story itself, but more the lack of "community" from the previous seasons.
    And yes, the Wards did contribute to that.
    At the same time I was very excited about the more addictive (!) and sensational storylines and it seemed to me that KL finally got it's own identity, completely unrelated to the Ewings of Dallas.
    A guest appearance by JR or Bobby doesn't make sense anymore (although it could still be fun I guess).

1. Chip and Diana.
    I thought that, after she had tried to escape from him the first time, she just pretended to stay with him, waiting for a moment to run away from him again.
    But no! She decided to stand by him because she really loved him. How did that happen? Was it because Chip told her he killed Ciji to save their relationship? Did she think "wow, that's true love!"? At least that's the impression I got and I thought it was an interesting twist.
    More important is what came after that: the big fallout with her mother.
    I really enjoyed Lonow's performance: un-likeable and vulnerable at the same time - because she really believed she was right.
    And after their reconciliation, that particular issue - defending a murderer - remains unsolved: no remorse or clear understanding of the situation.

2. Karen's addiction.
    This was very well done IMO, especially because it was derived from the previous storyline.
    Good drama is all about consequences and Knots Landing is very consistent about that.
    I had seen the Oprah Winfrey show with Michele Lee talking about this storyline.

3. Lotus Point.
    Oh I loved how everything and everyone was so wonderfully intertwined, eventhough the characters were more scattered than in the previous season.

Some other things I noticed:
    *How did Abby find Cathy? Was she already in California or did Abby go to Arkansas, looking for a Ciji look-a-like? LOL

*Mack's secretary Barbara. I love her! She reminded me of the horrible-secretary-of-the-week from Murphy Brown.

*the retooling of Lilimae's character.
    Initially a person who easily bounced back or simply laughed away an unpleasant situation.
    This time she's full-on-drama: demanding and bossy towards Valene (hello, it's not your house!), "killing" Chip, her stay at the clinic…I thought it was a bit too much. Not nonsensical, just a little bit uncharateristic. I was glad when that part was over and after that she got some of the best dialogue: when she visited Chip's body (how to love a sociopath?) or when she told Ben that "this is the best part of my life". It even brought tears to my eyes, simply because it was such a beautiful little scene.

*Cassie Yates
    A great choice for the slightly-camp drama. Her bitchy comments at Chip's funeral were delightful.
    I also loved her on Dynasty, unlike most of the fans.

*Olivia
    She's good most of the times, but she's a terrible cryer. She's definitely no Lindsay Blaisdel.
    That scene by the lake when she's going hysterical over Gary's death was toe-curlingly awful.
    But that's really the only bad thing I have to say about this season.

*Laura is a good liar.
    Shades of Pamela Lynch (Falcon Crest), and her deceit impressed me more than Abby's.
    "Was that before or after you started taking those pills?"
    Wow.

*Gary's and Abby's separation.
    It wasn't very shocking since she had already considered the possibility, and at the same time it was very dramatic and explosive.
    Funnily enough I got no satisfaction out of it - I thought it was all rather sad.

So, yes, the story is very vintage soap opera, but script-wise and production-wise I think this as good as any of the more contemporary dramas like the Sopranos, Six Feet Under and The Good Wife.
    And everything looks so rich: the settings (although the interior of the ranch is a bit dull), the extras and - OMG - the cinematography, so lush and vibrant.
    Like that scene when they all walk towards Gary's grave, the activity at Sumner's office and so much more of these things…I honestly don't remember this happening on the other soaps.
    I'd like to know: how was this perceived back in the 80s? Did KL get a lot of press and recognition for this? It seems to me it was all about outrageous Dallas! and outrageous Dynasty! but surely everyone must have noticed how great Knots Landing was?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    No. they continued with ruining lives but no-one's ever mentioned it again. Pity.

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    I disagree with that now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 6

There are some similarities with the previous season: the mental state of one the leading ladies which causes her to be temporarily seperated from the rest, and another ambitious project that involves precious land.

Karen didn't die in the S5 cliffhanger, but she's dying now.
    I particularly liked that soapy hospital scene, when she turns away from Mack and says (in a monotone voice) "It's over, Mack. I don't love you anymore".
    So deliciously vintage, as if I was watching a scene from Peyton Place.

Speaking of Peyton Place, Valene's labour was downright spooky and for a moment it looked like she was giving birth to Rosemary's babies.
    Her search for the un-dead twins reminded me of the Three Sisters episode from season 3.
    Apparently Knots Landing doesn't shy away from unconventional soap themes.

The "Nashville Junction" alter-ego storyline is almost like a mini-movie within the series. I even toyed with the idea that the other Tennessee characters weren't "real" either, and that everything that happened was taken straight from Valene's novel.
    Therefore there was a sense of bizarreness when Abby walked into that story.
    Eventually I got a little bit tired with it, but thankfully it also created some magic Gary & Valene moments e.g. when Gary re-enacted the first time they met when he did that thing with the plates, or when he tricked her into running, hoping that would jog (haha) her memory.

Karen's operation goes surprisingly well. I had expected the typical Panic At The OR! We're losing her, we need to resuscitate! All clear - BAM! All clear - BAM!
    I had also prepared myself for several recovery episodes but that didn't happen either.
    They outsmarted me again.

Oh! Alec Baldwin and his gorgeous Alec Baldwin eyes. Isn't it great how he was introduced as a confused and somewhat nerdy guy and then turned into his disapproving and manipulative father? (with a little help from Abby, of course).
    I command you, be strong and courageous, and sing in my show and wear that stupid wedding dress.
    It's amazing that Lilimae didn't see that history was being repeated here. But I guess it's a typical mother thing, like Miss Ellie wanted everybody to live in peace at South Fork eventhough it was clearly a recipe for disaster.
    Incidentally - and I hope I won't offend the die-hard Ciji fans - I think Cathy is a much better singer.
    Her performances at the club were quite pleasant.

A mystery woman! A mystery wedding! It's Ava Gardner as the cheeky, chain-smoking Mrs Sumner Galveston:)
    [​IMG]
    Needless to say I soaked up every scene she was in!
    Unfortunately Laura has totally lost her "cool" this season. She was plain annoying towards Ruth and her romance with Greg wasn't very convincing, especially since Greg isn't the kind of man I would root for. At least not yet.
    Either way, she hardly contributed anything to this season (IMO) - but at least she had straightened out her hair in the last episode. No more perms, please!

My thoughts about Abby haven't changed, really.
    I still find myself defending her over and over again. She's always part of the problem, but she never causes them, or at least she has no intention to cause any harm. I mean, whenever she claims to be innocent, it's partially true.
    And she has terrific skills for damage control (rather than being defeated by someone else).
    The way she manages to operate secretly for an entire 30 eps season makes me think she's just smarter than the others.
    Sometimes the others feel there's something peculiar going on, but they can never pinpoint Abby's involvements.

(and then I asked a question about a very famous song, quite embarrassing, actually)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Here's Abby in a really horrible outfitlol
    [​IMG]

And she discovers that Karen is discovering something:eek:
    [​IMG]

Ben & Valene having a good time
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Yes.

Ben doing something funny, this is right before the dance and the music (but what's that tune?) song Send In The Clowns.
    [​IMG]

Greg & Laura fighting:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Greg blackmails Abby:box: to get the TV broadcast licences from her (bastard!)
    [​IMG]

And that's just 1 episode!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,993
    I think she just got back from a Madonna concert.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Yes, she's like a virgin.

I must say it's very confusing being on two different soapchats at the same time.
    And all those old avatars staring at me, while they're floating in cyberspace and beyond for all eternity. It feels like walking about a graveyard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 7

The Empire Valley Strikes Back.

Plot-wise, I think this is my favourite season so far.
    Every storyline smoothly passes into the next one, without any dull moments or stalling, and with enough unexpected twists to keep me on the edge of my seat.
    Only the last 4 or 5 episodes tempered my enthusiasm a little.
    I don't think they could have done it otherwise, but it's just that the "build-up" was gone. Maybe it would have been better if they had started the next season with those episodes.

One of my favourite scenes is from episode 4: the Fishers saying goodbye to the twins. Oh it was so heartrending!
    But the writers didn't forget about them, because they sent a card for the twins' birthday. I thought that was just as impressive as Gary's gift.

I think it was a great idea to blow up the Underground Security Hi-Tech Thing, but it also looked a little too "Falcon Crest", especially in the Knots Landing universe.
    However, at the end of the season it turned out that the boom!-boom!-boom! had major consequences.
    So clever!

Valene thinks it's better that Joshua finds his own place to live, and then Lilimae replies with:
    "I guess you'll let me know when there's no room for me either. In your house! And in your life!"
    It wasn't funny or comical and yet this was a laughing-out-loud moment for me. Probably because of the way she said it.

15 years ago I searched the internet for Knots Landing episode guides because I thought I'd never have the chance to actually watch it.
    But I really wanted to know the story (and I think that's how I ended up on soapchat) so unfortunately I already knew how Joshua was going to die. But I knew nothing about the dramatic circumstances.
    Even more dramatic was when Lilimae went back to that place to relive those horrible moments.

(Incidentally, the only other thing I remember from reading those episodes is a cliffhanger with Paige in a car, and a dangerous person coming up from the backseat, but I have no idea what that is all about!)

And yes, Paige has arrived. So sweet, so innocent. Or is she? Either way, I think she's going to be fabulous, although not nearly as fabulous as our very own @Ms. Paige:)

One of the most creative things was the combination of dialogues from two different scenes. I really liked that.
    And sometimes a character expresses my own thoughts, it's really strange when that happens.
    When Peter told Abby that he also knew about the baby kidnapping, I thought "geez, not another one!"
    And what does she do? She decides to tell everyone the "whole" story and thus ending all the blackmail right there and then.
    I think the writers realized: enough is enough.
    Or, for example, when Laura told Greg to shape up and be passionate about something, she kinda took the words right out of my mouth.

2 questions:
    1. What was Cathy's show all about? Just a non-stop performance of covers of popsongs? Or was it still a religious show?
    2. Did Doug Sheehan had a real accident? He said he fell off the chair but it didn't seem to serve any purpose, story-wise.

I like the new and rebellious Olivia.
    She even looks like a bad girl with that 60s garage-rock hairdo and those freaky cat's eyes.
    And speaking of bad girls, Abby's mask finally slips in front of Gary - when they talk about the divorce.
    I will drag your precious Valene and her precious Ben and those precious babies of theirs into the court!
    Come on Abby, this isn't 1956.
    No, but it'll feel like it!

The Ewings from Dallas are mentioned briefly.
    According to Gary they don't want to finance the arsenic clean-up because there's no oil under Empire Valley. Therefore they are NOT interested.
    How could Ted Shackelford say that line and keep a straight face?

And Ted has a great laughter, kinda like Stan Laurel.
    He did it in the gym (with Mack) and also on the beach with Valene (which was a terrific scene anyway).
    I don't recall any other soap actors laughing out loud like that. Except for Victoria Principal, she has the most beautiful laughter I've ever heard.

And with that thought I conclude my incoherent ramblings about season 7

• Like Like x 4
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 8

And The Darkest Hour Is Just Before Dawn.

And yet another mini-metamorphose for the opening tune, this time they went for a slightly more "caribbean" sound.
    With that out of the way, onto the story.

The season premiere episode kicks off with Karen's kidnapping.
    It doesn't appear to be derived from a previous storyline, she just vanished into thin air, and no-one knows what's going on.
    Not Karen, not the MacKenzies and certainly not me.
    But that's how it usually happens in real life: people are being kidnapped, just like that - and then what?
    I had never thought he would try to kill her, and I think it looked pretty horrific.
    Actually the whole story had a great sense of despair, and quite "heavy" for a soap opera.

Olivia's drug abuse continues and things are getting seriously out of control. Especially towards the end when she almost frightens Abby with her aggressive and violent behaviour.
    Smashing vases and all that, oh I loved it.
    And of course they found the perfect way to wrap it up.

Wendy Fulton joins the cast of Knots Landing.
    Great, I really liked her as the snobbish and devious Isabel Hazard from "North & South".
    Jean Hackney however…
    But let me start with Ben. Ben now has a past and technically that's not impossible.
    They never mentioned that he didn't have a past.
    Jean uses that information to get him to spy on Greg Sumner and I thought, oh…there is going to be…more about Galveston Industries.
    Well, alright then.

No, not alright then.
    I really have tried to go with the flow, to let the story be unfold and, hopefully, be entertained with it, but the truth is, I've been fighting this storyline from the very beginning.
    And maybe it wasn't even the storyline itself, but I just didn't want this Ben.
    I wanted him to be the Ben with the flowers and plants, the Ben who's been so very patient with Valene (and Gary too for that matter).
    But now I even disliked him for yelling at Jean (!), who just never appeared dangerous enough.
    And then this international super-organized Organization can only rely on Ben Gibson to kill Greg Sumner? Really?

Yes, they made the switch from spying to killing for some vague reasons.
    Still, I think this may have looked great on paper (to blackmail a main character into killing another main character) but the whole thing was just so hysterical and everything and everyone else was running behind.

There have been outrageous storylines before, but they always allowed the characters to properly react to those events.
    No matter how crazy, Knots managed to turn it into great drama.
    And I must say that Joan Van Ark really really tried, but it was just too much and, like I said, too hysterical.
    The party at Lotus Point and also the night of the assassination of Greg Sumner should have been so epic, but I found it to be painfully messy and ineffective.
    Oh, and then the gunshot was sufficient for Jean to believe that Greg was dead? After that whole storyline??

I think that, if they had to do this plotline, it would have been better if Jean and Some Husband were introduced as The Neighbours Of The Season (kinda like Desperate Housewives) and moved into the Ward's place. And then as the story progresses we would learn that they are undercover KGB agents or something like that.
    Ben the curious reporter could still be involved - and even be killed at the end of the season (and be framed for the Hackney's crime, like they did in that awesome movie, what was it, Arlington Road?).

But then Michelle Phillips moves into the cul-de-sac and the other Knotsers have landed back on their feet and everything is great again.
    Blue skies, blonde hair, secret letters and great dialogue - that's what I want from Knots Landing.
    "These are the MacKenzies, they are….what are they…they are my neighbours."

This Anne character struck me as a doomed person: a wealthy, beautiful, charming and soft-spoken woman who could have it all - and yet all that loveliness will only cause misery and pain to herself and the people around her.
    Not because she's evil, but because she simply cannot love the way other people do.
    Even if she had managed to get Mack back into her life it would not be a happily ever after.
    Obviously the story required that she was a potential threat to the MacKenzie's marriage, but to me it never felt that way.
    I don't know exactly how to describe it but there's a certain sadness about the whole situation and it mesmerized me.

Paige is also one of kind. Sometimes a girl, sometimes a woman. Acting all polished in an unpolished sort of way.
    When I saw her the first time at the end of the previous season I wondered if N. Sheridan was originally from Eastern Europe. Something about that slightly husky voice…
    She's a good actress though, she can transform from deadcalm to outraged in milliseconds.

And then of course I have to mention the brilliant final episode.
    The thing with the coffee, to cover the blood. Ha!
    In other shows (even the current ones) the character would miraculously find the time to get the chlorine and hot water to remove the stains completely just before the other person opens the door.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Perhaps it's a classic trap of watching soaps. Reluctance to change, and all that.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 9

Two Almost-Weddings And A Funeral.

Hey, new opening credits! It has the look of a mini-series, rather than a prime time soap.
    I wonder if the painting style had anything to do with the gallery and the paintings bought by Laura and Greg.

The new season starts with a rather macabre imagery: children playing on top of Peter Hollister's grave.
    And it also ends with a complete nightmare.
    But first there's joy and hapiness when Gary discovers that neither Olivia or Abby are guilty of Peter's death.

Lilimae leaves Knots Landing together with her new friend Al.
    I think it was a very appropirate ending for her and I think they are still on the road today, having a great time.

Laura is ill and within a few episodes she's dead.
    She packed her bags and went away to die, just like that.
    Well I think it really suited her no-nonsense character.
    But first there was the (unintentionally brutal) farewell party and oh, it was so heartrending to watch her laughing and dancing with her friends for the last time.
    Personally I didn't want her to leave and yet it felt right - eventhough, or maybe because it was against all Soap Rules.
    No big drama, no mystery about her death or a mysterious disappearance from the clinic (would she return or not? that kind of stuff).

The "Noises Everywhere" episodes are some of the finest of what I've seen so far.
    Sadness, rudeness, bitterness and hysterical laughter and on top of that Richard coming back for the funeral.
    Lots of awkward moments a la "Who's Afraid Of Virgina Woolf", but it also reminded me of those classic murder mysteries where all the suspects are trapped in the mansion because of snow storm or something.
    And when Greg watched the rest of the video, alone in his bedroom, wow…that was great, that's how people cry.
    I wonder if Constance McCashin regretted that she couldn't be an active part of all this magnificence…
    (and now I can finally read that CMcC interview because I didn't want to do that while Laura "was still on the show").

Abby's ex-lover Charles Scott (who looks like Peter De Vilbis' brother) arrives at Knots Landing, later joined by his nasty socialite wife Judith, and I thoroughly enjoyed their cat-and-mouse game.
    I also think it's very creative how they manage to write new storylines for Lotus Point every season.

More new faces: the sexy rascal Johnny Rourke. Well all I can say is that he really looks like a "Johnny Rourke", albeit more Mexican than Irish.
    I'm glad they kept his singing to a minimum.
    [​IMG]That's him!:)

And then – finally! – new neighbours. Three gorgeous people, and they steal every scene they're in. I had not expected to like them instantly, but I did.
    It wasn't too difficult to figure out what was going on but it was fun to watch the MacKenzies trying to figure it out.
    And then of course we got the bad-guys-from-the-outside-story.
    It's a little bit formulaic but I guess it's almost impossible to do a 30 eps season without them, and as with the previous seasons it ties in with the other storylines.

Like Olivia and Harold (isn't that a strange name for someone looking so very Italian?).
    Abby was right, he was way too influential and more important he's a gangster - however she didn't know that at the time she broke up their relationship. Therefore it's not a valid argument not even with the benefit of hindsight.
    She violated the trust between parent and child and I wonder if Olivia is ever going to forgive her.

The Perfect Crime episode. I'd rather call it The Perfect Episode.
    Thank you Teri Austin for that outstanding performance.
    The way she sneaks into Val's house like a spider and then oooh…the sheer terror and insanity of it all!
    Definitely the best psycho killer of all the prime time soaps and it was such a long and wonderful scene.
    All that nasty talk about "poor Val", it was almost as if the writers, through this dialogue, insulted their own creation (Valene).
    The only thing I would have changed in the final scene is that Valene would still be lying on the bed, the way Jill left her.

It was extreme and kinda sudden but I don't think it was out of character.
    Jill was troubled from the very start – chasing married men, her quest for revenge (Galveston), losing her brother and then not being able to grieve in front of other people.
    She had to "put up" with Gary's selfishness and his kids who apparently need to be entertained 24/7, although it was her own choice to go back to him after he had told her he didn't love her. That was already a very desperate move.
    I think all these things were boiling up inside her but we always got to see the reasonable and charming Jill which made the transformation even more terrifying (Teri-fying, haha).

My favouritest season so far!:)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    At the end of season 10 I got the flu and refused to write a review, I lost a lot of followers because of that.

O stop joking and get on with it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 11

L.A. Soap…All Grown Up Now.

To me, watching this season felt like sitting in a super-comfortable chair (which I don't have) and then someone else is gently throwing presents at me. And flowers, and chocolates, and kisses.
    I'm tempted to put it in my Knots Landing Top 5.
    You know, at some point I'll have to rank the seasons, that's how we do it on SoapChat.
    *shivers*

The season starts with the remainders of Season 10's "Lotus Point/Morikame" storyline, but to be honest I had already lost interest during the final episodes of S10.
    The key is the key to something. Come on guys, wrap it up.
    Wait, I can't keep mentioning S10 without saying something about it, so here's a mini-review of the previously unreviewed Knots Landing Season 10:

I liked it, it was good – the writers definitely didn't go for the easy way out – but by the time they discovered Jill's body in Gary's car, I felt a bit exhausted and I was afraid it would lead to another lengthy investigation but thankfully that didn't happen.
    S11 also had a Big Investigation, but the difference is that I already knew Jill had dunnit, and it was just a matter of waiting for her to make a mistake.

However - and this could partially be blamed on my state of fever delirium - the Val vs. Jill battle was like watching two different stories at the same time. Seriously, the whole thing could have been done in split screen.
    There was of course the factual story as we saw it at the end of Season 9…but they wrote it as if it was absolutely impossible (and since they never got the chance to make an official case against Jill, perhaps it was the perfect crime?)
    Val seems to be the crazy one, no-one has a reason to believe her although her friends believe she's not lying about her interpretation.
    And Jill is just the consistently charming and rational Jill, the way I've always known her – and liked her. Well, until she started to do more irrational stuff a few episodes before she died.
    But would you believe that at some point I was annoyed by Val's ongoing accusations?

There's oil, there's oil! And Abby wants it.
    I was so super-excited about this storyline and I don't know exactly when I lost interest. Maybe there was too much covering up the cover-ups.
    And why didn't they send Abby to jail, or at least make it seem like a serious possibility? Karen was angry and she mentioned it, but still…the ending wasn't as explosive as I had hoped for.
    Hence my slight indifference when Greg, Paige and Ted were chasing eachother to get hold of The Key.

Conclusion: eventhough I enjoyed S10, it's definitely not one of my favourites.

First I want to say that I really liked all the new characters of S11. Especially the bad guys were perfectly unlikeable.

Danny Waleska, I even hate his name!
    I guess I'm supposed to say that the physical violence was the worst part, but what really appalled me was when he smashed Amanda's crockery as it was the only thing she wanted.
    It was so utterly vile..oh, and when he called her "stupid" and threw her jacket in her face after he had raped her, wow, that really got my blood boiling!

And then there was slimy, two-faced Tom and I suppose he also functioned as the show's new eye candy.
    OK, he did save Mack's life, although that's a very generous description, considering the how's & why's.

Mary Frances returns and I think "oh dear, she's terminal ill and she comes home to die" (because of the medication and the father stuff etc.).
    And then the Australian shot her!:eek: Bang!
    I didn't realize it at first, I thought the computer screen exploded or something like that.
    So she did die, but not the way I had expected it.
    I also think the Oakman Industries/chemicals storyline had a very clever and satisfying conclusion.

More thrilling drama in the "Only Just Begun" episode. The music, and the unexpected twist - because it looked like Danny was going crash into Frank's car. The whole scene was perfectly executed.

Anne Matheson's character has been given a little make-over.
    Whereas I used to ponder about her thoughts and intentions in one of the previous seasons, now she's a full-steam-ahead bitchy con artist and she seems to have zero maternal instincts.
    The first Anne was mesmerizing, but I like this one too!

I wanted Olivia to succeed without her mother (not that Abby was always the best help!) so I'm glad she and Harold got a happy ending.
    Other soaps often seem to struggle with happy endings…characters just disappear or "mysteriously" vanish, dead, maybe, maybe not…
    Anyway.

Karen's stalker.
    Ooh sorry, not a big fan of this storyline, at least not yet (it will continue).
    On the one hand it would have been terribly corny if Wayne was the real psycho and on the other hand I had mistrusted Jeff from the very beginning. This was just a no-win situation for me.
    The only thing I liked is that he managed to frame Diane, although I wish she had killed all those other tv personalities.

This season was fresh, sexy, sizzling, shocking, funny, dramatic with just enough old-skool Knots here and there.
    The overall style and atmosphere reminded me of another old series and it almost took me a whole season to realize that that other show is L.A. Law, one of my favourites at that time.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    The archive site stops here, the following re-posts are copied from the cachedview site:)

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Knots Landing Season 12

It Ain't All Honey And It Ain't All Jam

When I was watching the first scenes from episode 1, a little alarm bell started to ring inside my head.
    I tried to ignore it, after all this is Knots Landing, what could possibly go wrong?
    But something had definitely changed, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Yet!
    Perhaps the first thing I noticed was the way the dialogue was delivered: rushed and half-hearted.
    I guess the reason why I noticed this is because the great dialogue had always been Knots' tour de force.

If only that was the worst part.

Anne Matheson & Nick Schillace

I think that, in essence, comedy is just as bizarre and a fantasy as soap. Because nobody lives in a world consisting only of jokes and funny situations.
    Combining these two fantasy worlds successfully is impossible IMO, unless the comedy is about soap.
    It's the knife that cuts both ways, but with very unfortunate results.
    Because the comedy aspect diminishes the drama, and at the same time the comedy can never be funny enough, because it's a soap, not a comedy.
    But they did it anyway. O how they did it.

As I mentioned in my S11 review, I was very intrigued by Anne's fraudulent plans to get her hands on Paige's inheritance.
    But then Paige didn't marry Tom and after that she didn't marry Greg.
    Time for Plan B (little did I know they would go through the entire alphabet) – the faux blackmail and the suitcases.
    Then the faux marriage, the inheritance which turned out to be worthless, the doll (and the body in the hotelroom – oh so tasteless!), the fake money and then the artefact which also turned out to be worthless.
    And all this rubbish "perfectly" accompanied by a comical score.
    This Anne was a far cry from the enigmatic woman we saw in season 8.
    Now all she did was being snappish, childish, ignorant and pseudo-streetwise.

Mack & Jason Lochner

I really had no problem with Jason himself or the fact that the MacKenzies took him into their home, they're that kind of people, and these situations happen on every soap.
    But Mack's determination to "fix" someone else's life was downright toe-curling, not to mention his preachy monologues about never hitting your children.
    I even found it a bit insulting, because it came across as a lecture.

Jeff & Danny

Two characters who really shouldn't have been brought back.
    As far as I'm concerned Danny's storyline ended with his arrest at the end of S11 and Jeff…well, that was never a success to begin with.
    I never really understood what happened with the phone-bomb (I thought it was supposed to bomb Karen's house?) and then he was dead and now he came back to kill Karen.
    We already knew he was the real stalker. The momentum was gone, it was all so very pointless.
    I still like Diane, she was the best part of Karen's tv show.

Valene

Goes crazy again, but this time it's for real.
    I understand that nobody likes to watch soaps with only happy people, and that most soap-marriages need a crisis every now and then, but this looked very, very forced.
    Most of her crazy scenes were unintentionally hilarious (well let's hope it wasn't intentional) and I'm pretty sure that Ted Shackelford almost couldn't hold his laughter during one of those scenes (on the balcony of Val's house).
    But then she was cured and…wait, how exactly did that happen?

Claudia Sumner Whitaker

My favourite this season, but "thanks" to the light-hearted tone of the show, not nearly as good as she could have been.
    To be honest it took me a while to warm up to this new character.
    Greg told her that she was being very obvious (after his money) and that he was not interested in becoming a family again, let alone friends.
    "Have a nice life and goodbye".
    And at that exact moment I shared his sentiments.
    But she decided to stick around anyway and she turned out to be pretty ruthless and manipulative.
    Suddenly I could totally picture her as Ruth Sumner's daughter.
    I like her laughter and she acts with her eyes, those eyes which seem to register everything.
    Yes, I think Kathleen Noone was a good choice for this part.
    Of course I hated all her scenes with Comedi-Anne.

It wasn't hard to figure who Steve's father was since there weren't any possible candidates walking around and it wouldn't be very interesting/shocking to use a previously unknown character as the father.
    But…if he was a Galveston, the son of the former CEO of Galveston Industries…I mean, even Anne said it: "the boy's worth millions".
    He was what Peter Hollister pretended to be (but at least Peter didn't sound like a muppet:rolleyes:).
    Then how come money-hungry Claudia wouldn't take advantage of the situation, since it was the Galveston fortune that brought her to Knots Landing in the first place?

Linda Fairgate

I think this is the first time the writers tossed everything against the wall to see what would stick.
    I'm all for character development, but this didn't make any sense at all.

The little-miss-know-it-all when she first appeared on Knots, then the lovely girl when she returned with Eric and helped Michael by pretending to be his office-party-date.
    Then she turned into a party girl, then she was obsessed with Michael and once she got him back she made it very clear she would make Karen pay for whatever it was Karen had done to her.
    But in her first scene in S12 she encouraged Michael to make amends and talk to his mother.
    :confused:
    And then for 13 or so episodes it looked like they were trying to work things out, with work and family and romance etc.
    I could even understand her frustration about the fact that she and Michael didn't get enough credit for all the hard work.
    (But of course that's business hierarchy. People on "the floor" have to do all the hard work. If you don't like it you're free to go).

Paige can be a little insensitive sometimes so I can see how this rivalry started to develop.
    And then there was that scene with Linda and her mother which gave me the impression that she really wasn't such a calculated nasty person after all. She only wanted her mother to be proud of her.
    I think this was Linda Fairgate #17, but apparently it didn't sticklol
    Linda turned into a workaholic/boss-bonker, she and Michael broke up and perhaps that's when she was finally green-lighted to become the full steam ahead office bitch.

It Ain't All Vinegar Either

I noticed some improvement in episode 24 "The Last One Out".
    There was a fire in the Sumner Building and I hoped it would turn into a Towering Inferno episode. Well that didn't happen – they didn't show any fire at all – but at least I enjoyed the tension of what might happen.
    Gary and Valene's wedding ceremony was similar to Karen and Mack's – with the laughter and all that – but for the first time this season it felt like I was watching the real Gary and Valene.
    And it was great to have them back.

Ironically, the season's finale episode is one of my favourite Knots Landing cliffhangers.
    Anne is broke and homeless.
    When she looked at the fancy dress in the shop window and started to cry, it seemed that she finally got her Knots-worthy S12 moment.
    Claudia is at her evil best when she decides to frame her own son, Linda is involved with a very weird guy who has disappeared mysteriously, and tries to frame Paige for whatever might have happened to him.
    Why do I have a feeling that Linda is going to be murdered or something?
    She strikes me as the type that ends up dead.
    ??

• Like Like x 3