Finally watching (the rest of) Knots Landing 2015-2016

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Willie Oleson, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    Knots Landing Season 13

I Know What You Did, Greg Sumner

I had no idea what to expect after going through the malaise of season 12, but thankfully it turned out to be a major improvement, especially the first 14 or 15 episodes.
    Eventhough the overall tone seemed darker and more plot-driven, there was plenty of traditional Knots character-drama to enjoy.

Like Karen's struggle with the aftermath of the car-crash and the way people reacted to it, I thought it looked very sincere.
    Claudia and Kate's fall out after Steve had died.
    Eventhough Kate was right about everything, I almost felt sorry for Claudia because it's so painful to be hated by the person you love the most.
    She kept lying about everything, but then I thought, what good would it do to confess? It's not like Kate would hate her less, let alone forgive her.
    The scene where Kate finds her mother in her apartment, with the groceries she had bought for her daughter, was short but very effective.
    But Claudia doesn't give up and eventually Kate decides to let her mother back into her life.
    In retrospect (after watching the whole season) I think this was the perfect moment to say goodbye to the Whitakers, but unfortunately they outstayed their welcome. More about that later.

Lots of exciting stuff going on with Brian Johnston.
    After the brutal murder of Linda Fairgate, the MacKenzies are held hostage in their iconic Knots Landing house. I love hostage scenes because it's often a combination of violence and danger, hope and despair, psychological terror and humiliation. And look, there's even a delicate document that wasn't destroyed in the fire!
    But before Brian resurfaced there was supposed to be an investigation going on, and one of the S12 cliffhangers was that Tom was in charge of that investigation. To me it looked like he was going to make things very difficult for Paige but somehow the whole thing was dropped??

Anne bounces back after she teams up with sleazebag-with-a-heart-of-gold Benny. It's still partially light-hearted but at least they ditched the pseudo-comical stuff and overall it's just a very sweet story.

It's Christmas in the cul-de-sac and before (or after) dinner Karen starts to sing. Singing out loud, the entire song. I found it so very season 2.

But the most significant throwback to Classic-Knots was the Tidal Wave project.
    The domestic tension that came from it - "I know what I’m doing!" – and, as with Empire Valley, the rivalry between Gary and Greg.
    And when Tidal Wave Energy turned out to be a failure, it even felt as if the show was working towards some sort of closure.
    The incompetent Ewing son, once again forced to leave The Ranch.
    upload_2016-9-19_23-46-9.png
    And of course the scene with Valene when she enters her cul-de-sac home, with all those vocal flashbacks going on…a tad hammy perhaps, because to me it seemed as if she had been away for only a few months. But still.

I also like to mention the great supporting cast, the minor guest roles, like that auctioneer for Gary's ranch.
    I couldn't help but laughing out loud when he told Gary that "All of this stuff in here…I'm just not quite familiar with it".
    upload_2016-9-19_23-46-55.png
    Apart from the way he delivered the line, he also (unintentionally) pointed out how nonsensical these kind of fake hi-tech devices used in tv shows are.
    (Although the TWE storyline itself was sufficiently believable).

Valene is offered to write Greg's biography. I can understand that, once a writer gets excited about a project, it's hard to give it up just like that.
    After all the trouble with TWE, Gary has no choice but to support Val.
    And Karen said it: "If I asked you not to write it, what would that do to our friendship?".
    So it's no longer a matter of choice: Valene has to write it, but then exactly those things that had the MacKenzies worried start to happen (what are the odds), and Valene quickly adjusts her motivation: to write the book to protect the people she love.
    Well that may seem very noble except in this case it doesn't make any sense. I mean, it's not like she could tell the truth about Meg in order to un-do crazy stories by people like Mary Robeson.

Pierce & Victoria got me very excited (Marcia Cross knows how to play the sinister bitch) and it looked as if the story was heading towards something very explosive.
    But unfortunately Victoria left and Pierce turned into Knots Landing's umpteenth pyscho killer.
    Oh, and the whiteboard with the plan to destroy Sumner & Friends was just as hilarious as Gustav Riebman's whiteboard with his dangerous plans for Falcon Crest.

Nothing but praise for Nicolette Sheridan though, she really is one of Knots' finest actresses.
    But it was funny when Greg ordered some wonder-doctor with a French name to come to California to cure Paige. Well he came, he poked her leg – et voila! – she was cured.
    I guess he really was a wonder-doctor:)

Just like Pierce, Claudia is having nightmares which (not surprisingly) is the set-up for her next storyline.
    There was one moment of confusion when Alex arrived and asked her "don't you recognize me?" and I thought, OMG, it's the real Steve!
    After that, everything that happened in her house was just bizarre.
    Dark and threatening in one episode, harmless teasing in the next one, and it was never clear who had the upper hand. And at first I found it quite fascinating.
    I could also understand Greg's decision to keep an eye on this loose cannon with too much information - but for how long? I guess he wanted to find or create something to counter-blackmail Alex…
    But it doesn't matter anymore since the whole thing fizzled out anyway.
    What's left is a daytime soap love triangle between Alex and Kate and Vanessa and I honestly couldn't care less - and I also wanted to smack the constant grin off of Claudia's face.

Too bad that this season's cliffhanger (Pierce in Paige's car) was one of the few things I remembered from reading the KL synopses all those years ago and I keep wondering how effective it would have been if I hadn't known.

All in all, a very entertaining season apart from the last 5 or 6 episodes, therefore – contrary to my first impressions – I don't think I'll rank it as one of my favourite seasons.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    And the last one...have we beaten the Dallas forum yet?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    Knots Landing Season 14

The First Mrs Ewing Never Goes Way

Prophetic words by Abby Fairgate, the second Mrs Ewing, words that (in my opinion) planted the seeds of insanity for the then future Mrs Ewing.
    And yet I must confess I hardly noticed Valene's absence this season.
    I think there are several reasons:
    -There was so much going that there really wasn't much time to ponder about a character not being there.
    -There wasn't an epic aftermath, one would expect after the death of a lead character and when she "died" she had already been away for quite a few episodes.
    -Basically, her death scene was off-screen because I couldn't see who was in the car – a blond woman, yes, but it was all very vague.
    -Apart from a few emotional scenes, mostly Karen, things went back-to-normal pretty fast.

Nevertheless, Valene's return-from-death is possibly the most satisfying one I've ever seen on a soap series.
    I found out why she disappeared but I still don't get the Robesons-Treadwell connection.
    But since they were wrapping things up it didn't bother me that much.

This season also harks back to season 8, and clearly shows the damaged relationship between Paige and Anne.
    Anne can be so selfish and inconsiderate, but she sure got her comeuppance after she had married Greg.
    But their last scene, when Anne told Paige she should marry Greg, was very sweet and they (sort of) parted on good terms.

Nick Schillace came back and I had to resist the urge to leave the room, screaming in agony.
    But this isn't season 12, and he turned out to be more sinister than I thought he was.

I liked Vanessa Hunt this season, in fact I was constantly looking out for her (not that the rest wasn't interesting enough).
    Her voice is simultaneously ridiculous and super-sexy, but she plays it straight and consequent, without trying to appear funny.
    Actually, I thought that the few times she raised her voice (when she told Anne to "Shut up!") were funny, in a Jennifer Saunders sort of way.

I loved the Meg-Mary Robeson story, especially because everyone got involved in it.
    And oh what a witch she was!

Mack's way of handling the case was peculiar to say the least (especially for an attorney) but I think there was something more going on.
    It seemed to me that he wanted to be the man who could protect his family, without having to consult with his wife.
    Still, the timing for having this sort of midlife crisis (or whatever it was) could not have been more unfortunate.
    But not for me, because Karen packed her bags and left for New York to visit her daughter Diana, a surprising guest appearance by Claudia Lonow!

Not to mention all the intrigue about the money from the Sumner Foundation which continued to be an important storyline when Treadwell came into the picture.

Favourite scene: Greg Sumner as the Corporate Pig trying to bulldoze the black folks' houselol

S14 was a very satisfying and thrilling final chapter in the Knots Landing saga.

And here's how I rank the seasons:

1. Season 9
    2. Season 4
    3. Season 6
    4. Season 7
    5. Season 11
    6. Season 3
    7. Season 5
    8. Season 1
    9. Season 8
    10. Season 13
    11. Season 14
    12. Season 2
    13. Season 10
    14. Season 12

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    I think those were the unresized pictures I found on a USB stick, including the draft for season 14. I must have installed or upgraded something and then copied documents to that USB stick just in case.

File under: irrelevant trivia.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Well, you have alot of excitement to look forward to. I am actually re - watching it now. I am season 4 episode 3. The first time I skipped alot of scenes. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ms. Paige

Ms. Paige Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    I am on my third watch now and I am going to wait until I am finished to rank...a lot of things are feeling different to me this time around.

I am so happy that you found all your reviews @Willie Oleson :dance::dance::dance:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    It will be interesting to read what has changed for you! Do you remember how you used to rank the seasons before you started to re-re-watch?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ms. Paige

Ms. Paige Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    No I never thought of ranking seasons till I joined here but my favorites or so I thought were always season 8 thru 14.

I am really enjoying season 3.....and am appreciating Karen a lot more this time around and everything surrounding Sid's death. I do love Val but I am seeing a new side to her that I never noticed..she was smothering Gary. But at the same time Gary isn't the good guy to me right now.....it did break my heart in the episode where Gary and Val get set up by Lillimae in the garage...after Gary leaves and she turns around and says weakly Gary while holding her stomach. What if he had still been there? I wonder about that.

Diana has always bothered me but maybe I am getting old :crazy:she just seems like a natural teenager to me at this point and Claudia does a great job of playing her.

Laura! I don't know why but I never really payed attention to her.....I think Constance is brilliant playing her.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    Yes I remember that scene, it was very sad.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yes. That was Val's trade mark. Holding her stomach. That was a very touching moment for me.

I could never get into Diana. She irked the hell out me when it came to CHIP. She just stayed that stubborn teenager.

I think that Laura got lost in the stories. I think that the writers tried to redeem her by putting with Greg. However, she really did not hold an true significance in that roll.

11. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    It was so fabulously fucked up that Diana became totally devoted to Chip because he killed for her. It spoke so loudly of her complete desperate need to be wanted, loved, chosen, to think that somebody could possibly do something like that for her. It was very dark and complex. How can anybody not love her after seeing that?

I'm really glad to find someone who liked Lonow's performance.

Oh, bless!

Which is only right, since both were about the same thing!

As far as I know, it was a real-life accident.

Eeeeew. This makes him even more terrifying.

Great stuff! In most cases, it feels like I'm reading the thoughts I had while watching!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    And I hope you will continue with your own reviews. I believe you were watching season 9?

• Like Like x 1
  13. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    I was and have now finished, although I never got around to reviewing the last three episodes pre-Soap Chat Armageddon.

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    Back To The Cul-De-Sac

I had planned to watch this on Christmas day 2016 (or was it 2015?) I have no idea why I had forgotten about this reunion mini-series.

The first few scenes feel very reunion-ish, also because it starts with a party (Karen and Mack's wedding anniversary), and everyone's just a little bit too cheerful and loud and expressive.
    But once they're back in their roles it's just as good as ever, and I could easily watch another 14 seasons.
    Valene's adventure is very reminiscent of Maggie Gioberti's story in Falcon Crest season 2. She goes to big bad Hollywood to write the movie script based on her novel "Hostage", together with an award-winning script writer.
    This big brass bully doesn't even look like a script writer, let alone a writer who's won any awards. He's attractive for all the wrong reasons.
    And he ends up dead in the pool...but was it really Valene's fault?

Mack's identity crisis from season 14 has developed into something darker, and he decides to leave Karen.
    During one of their arguments, Meg overhears that Greg is her real father.

Kate Whitaker, still not a professional tennis player, visits the cul-de-sac together with little daughter Molly, who also happens to be Gary's child.
    A very soapy problem. She's also involved with a Beverly Hills 90210 guy, I think he's Abby's son.
    upload_2017-11-30_3-17-36.png
    The Cunninghams.

Anne Matheson also returns to Knots and moves into the Sumner ranch, just after Paige has left (going where? Atlanta? hahahaha)
    There's something over-the-hill-but-still-desirable about Anne that I really like. And maybe she has always had that characteristic, even when she looked much younger.

TBC (I hope, it was a pain to keep disc 1 playing)

• Like Like x 5
  15. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,317
    A much younger Brian Austin Green did play Abby's son Brian in the original series, taking over the role from Bobby Jacoby.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,839
    Sad times...
    upload_2017-12-4_23-58-47.png
    They still don't understand they're in a soap!

Good times...
    upload_2017-12-4_23-59-7.png
    Oh Val, it's almost like one of those soaps! (not a quote)

Dancing times...
    upload_2017-12-4_23-59-58.png
    Put On A Happy Face!

Valene tells the police everything and then everything is all right.
    But I like this quintessential Gary & Valene scene, by the ocean, of course.
    upload_2017-12-5_0-5-41.png

More happy endings...
    upload_2017-12-5_0-6-3.png

Meg is watching Laura's tape...
    upload_2017-12-5_0-6-37.png
    She doesn't sound like Laura, and since they didn't show the tape I guess there was a reason for it.

Anyway, they all want their lives back, and the only way to make that happen is to end the episode and leave these soap characters alone.
    Well...goodbye. Again!:(

• Like Like x 2